Arteta Hails Arsenal's Desire after Perfect Start to Title Defense

Arsenal cruised to victory over Coventry to start the Premier League season. Henry NICHOLLS / AFP
Arsenal cruised to victory over Coventry to start the Premier League season. Henry NICHOLLS / AFP
TT

Arteta Hails Arsenal's Desire after Perfect Start to Title Defense

Arsenal cruised to victory over Coventry to start the Premier League season. Henry NICHOLLS / AFP
Arsenal cruised to victory over Coventry to start the Premier League season. Henry NICHOLLS / AFP

Mikel Arteta said Arsenal's dominant 3-0 win against Coventry in the opening game of the Premier League season on Friday proved the champions have not lost their hunger for silverware.

Arteta's side picked up where they left off last season, cruising to victory over out-classed Coventry thanks to goals from Kai Havertz, Bukayo Saka and Martin Odegaard at the Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners have been installed as title favorites, and their swaggering display suggested their rivals will struggle to keep up this season, said AFP.

Arteta was encouraged by the way his players set about overwhelming promoted Coventry with their relentless pressing.

"They look exactly the same (as last season) to me. What I did transmit to them was to show more desire and earn the right to be better than everyone else," Arteta said.

"There was a lot to like from the performance. It was a great result but also the manner we started the game.

"It was domination, clarity and understanding. It was really impressive."

Arteta hailed the cohesion between his players as they carved open the Coventry defense time and again, with new winger Christos Tzolis impressing on his league debut after joining from Club Brugge.

"We were so dominant, we had incredible connections, we were really accurate with the ball," Arteta said.

"The players have to be decisive and they were today. They looked really connected and played with a lot of purpose."

Asked if Arsenal's emphatic win -- on the day they signed Aston Villa defender Ezri Konsa -- showed they are stronger than any of their challengers, Arteta said: "No. Because when I look at the squads some of them are incredible and much bigger than ours.

"We look to improve and do what we like is right for us and understand the players who can improve us and give us an edge.

"Ezri is a player we really like in the defensive line. We recruited a great defender, a great personality, so I'm very pleased."

- 'Fight for it again' -

Brazil midfielder Bruno Guimaraes, a close-season recruit from Newcastle, was sidelined by an injury, but Arteta does not expect him to be out for long.

"We don't expect it to be weeks at all," he said.

Odegaard hailed Arsenal's ideal opening to the new campaign.

"The perfect start. Three goals and a clean sheet. It was really solid," the Gunners midfielder said.

"The team's quality is unbelievable, we see that every day in training. The level we compete at is unbelievable and we all push each other."

On Arsenal's belief they can retain the title, Odegaard added: "We don't feel we have to defend anything. We want to do it again and that's the mindset.

"Last year is finished now, we want to do it again and we want to attack it and fight for it again."

In a damning indication of their lack of threat, Coventry took 60 minutes to manage their first touch in the Arsenal penalty area.

Frank Lampard's side are back in the top-flight after a 25-year absence and the Sky Blues boss admitted Arsenal had given them a lesson.

"Fantastic team, a good lesson for our boys to see the levels. They played like champions," he said.

"It was a difficult game for us, the experience of it is probably good for us in terms of the stadium, the atmosphere at the start of the game, the quality that they have.

"When you concede goals, not great from us and that's the reality."



Americans Gauff, Tiafoe, Nakashima and Pegula Reach the Semifinal Round at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima of the United States plays a backhand during the match against Taylor Fritz of the United States during day 11 of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 21, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)
Brandon Nakashima of the United States plays a backhand during the match against Taylor Fritz of the United States during day 11 of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 21, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)
TT

Americans Gauff, Tiafoe, Nakashima and Pegula Reach the Semifinal Round at Cincinnati Open

Brandon Nakashima of the United States plays a backhand during the match against Taylor Fritz of the United States during day 11 of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 21, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)
Brandon Nakashima of the United States plays a backhand during the match against Taylor Fritz of the United States during day 11 of the Cincinnati Open at the Lindner Family Tennis Center on August 21, 2026 in Mason, Ohio. (Getty Images/AFP)

Frances Tiafoe and Brandon Nakashima won quarterfinal matches Friday night to set up one all-American men's semifinal at the Cincinnati Open. Coco Gauff and Jessica Pegula also advanced to make it four US players in the semis.

“It's insane, I think we're all doing so well,” Gauff said. “Hopefully, you know, we can have a double title win. Obviously, there are more matches to be played for that to happen. We definitely root for each other.”

Tiafoe beat Italian Lorenzo Musetti, 7-6 (2), 7-5, and Nakashima beat fellow American Taylor Fritz, 7-6, 4-6, 6-3, marking the first time two Americans have reached the men's semifinals in Cincinnati since Andy Roddick and Mardy Fish in 2010.

Nakashima is the first American man to reach the semifinals in Canada and Cincinnati in the same season since Fish in 2011. Nakashima is coached by Tiafoe's former coach, Wayne Ferreira.

“It's a guy who knows me pretty well in Wayne," Tiafoe said. “I expect some good serving and all the best from him. Happy where I've been mentally more than anything. This has been a great week."

Tiafoe reached the Cincinnati finals in 2024, losing to Jannik Sinner.

The other men's semifinal Saturday features Italy’s Flavio Cobolli against Frenchman Arthur Fils.

Gauff beat Ukraine's Marta Kostyuk, 6-2, 6-2. Gauff will face surprise entrant 20-year-old Czech Sara Bejlek on Saturday.

Bejlek outlasted 2019 champion Madison Keys, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (5) on Friday. She upset No. 1-ranked Aryna Sabalenka in straight sets in the Round of 16.

“Sara is a great player," Gauff said. “I watched her a lot in Abu Dhabi (in February) this year when she won that title. So I think it's going to be a tough match. I'm looking forward to it.”

Pegula, ranked No. 3 and who beat Amanda Anisimova on Thursday, will face fifth-ranked Iga Swiatek in Saturday's other semifinal.


Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
TT

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner Withdraws from the US Open with a Knee Injury

Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)
Jannik Sinner, of Italy, celebrates a point against Alexander Zverev, of Germany, in the men's singles final at Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, July 12, 2026. (AP)

Top-ranked Jannik Sinner withdrew from the US Open on Friday, unable to recover from a right knee injury that has sidelined him since winning the Wimbledon title.

Sinner beat Alexander Zverev last month for his second straight title at the All England Club, but then pulled out of the hard-court tournaments in Montreal and Cincinnati that serve as a warmup for the US Open.

The 25-year-old Italian wrote Friday that he won't be ready when the main draw begins on Aug. 30.

“Even though I have been working hard with my team and my medical staff, we have now had to make the difficult decision that I will not be able to compete at the US Open this year,” Sinner wrote in a post on X.

“We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple of days and have realized that I still need more time to recover from my right knee issue. I’m obviously very sad and disappointed, as New York has a special place in my heart. I was very much looking forward to coming back and playing in the electric atmosphere in front of the great fans there.”

Sinner was the 2024 US Open champion and lost to Carlos Alcaraz in last year's final.

Alcaraz posted on social media on Thursday that he would be ready to play in New York after he has been out of action since April because of a right wrist injury.

The rivalry between those two has dominated men's tennis in recent years, and they met in the last three Grand Slam finals in 2025. Alcaraz took the most recent one with his four-set victory in New York.

That ended Sinner's title reign after he beat Taylor Fritz in straight sets in the 2024 final.

Sinner is 44-3 with six titles this year. He had a stunning collapse at the French Open, blowing a two-set lead while struggling in the heat in his second-round match against Juan Manuel Cerundolo. He then sat out until Wimbledon, where his victory gave him five Grand Slam titles.

It will be the first time Sinner has missed a Grand Slam tournament since making his major debut at the US Open in 2019.


Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
TT

Man City Boss Maresca Hit with Doku Injury Blow

Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs
Soccer Football - FA Community Shield - Arsenal v Manchester City - Principality Stadium, Cardiff, Wales, Britain - August 16, 2026 Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca Action Images via Reuters/Matthew Childs

Manchester City boss Enzo Maresca has suffered a blow on the eve of the Premier League season after Belgium winger Jeremy Doku was ruled out for several weeks.

Doku will miss City's Premier League opener against Bournemouth with a calf injury and is unlikely to return for up to three weeks.

The 24-year-old suffered the problem during the first half of City's 3-0 defeat against Arsenal in the Community Shield in Cardiff last weekend, AFP reported.

Doku's absence is a significant setback for former Chelsea boss Maresca as he starts his first season in charge at City after replacing Pep Guardiola in the close-season.

"At the moment the only one out is Jeremy Doku," Maresca told reporters on Friday.

"Unfortunately in the last game, at half-time, he was complaining about a little bit of pain in his calf.

"The idea with him was to play 45 minutes anyway, so the change was planned, but at the moment it looks like two or three weeks, no more than that."

After hosting Bournemouth, Maresca's side travel to Crystal Palace, then face Coventry before the derby at Manchester United.