TikTok Fans Anxiously Await Its Return to US App Stores 

TikTok still could not be downloaded from the Apple and Google app stores in the United States on Tuesday. (dpa)
TikTok still could not be downloaded from the Apple and Google app stores in the United States on Tuesday. (dpa)
TT

TikTok Fans Anxiously Await Its Return to US App Stores 

TikTok still could not be downloaded from the Apple and Google app stores in the United States on Tuesday. (dpa)
TikTok still could not be downloaded from the Apple and Google app stores in the United States on Tuesday. (dpa)

Three days after ByteDance's TikTok went dark and then was quickly revived in the United States, users who deleted the app were anxiously checking iPhone and Android devices to find it still unavailable to be downloaded again.

Some looking to make a quick profit from TikTok fans' desperation listed devices on eBay with the app purportedly downloaded for up to $50,000.

TikTok still could not be downloaded from the Apple and Google app stores in the United States on Tuesday, trapped in legal purgatory by the two tech giants. US President Donald Trump signed an executive order on Monday delaying the enforcement of a ban on the Chinese-owned popular short-video app by 75 days, the legality of which is unclear.

TikTok resumed service after Trump's assurances that the company and its partners would not face hefty fines to keep the app running, but it was yet to return to app stores. Other apps owned by ByteDance, including Lemon8 and CapCut, were also no longer available.

Meanwhile the search to find a buyer for TikTok continued. Trump said on Tuesday he was open to billionaire Elon Musk's buying the app if the Tesla CEO wanted to do so.

And the chair of the House Select Committee on China, John Moolenaar, met businessmen Kevin O'Leary and Frank McCourt about the potential divestiture of TikTok.

Billionaire businessman McCourt's Project Liberty consortium has made a formal offer to buy it, valuing the app without its algorithm at around $20 billion. O'Leary joined the effort, Project Liberty said earlier this month.

In an interview with CNBC on Tuesday, O’Leary said he would be interested in a TikTok deal, but it’s not possible under current law.

"That 50/50 deal, I would love to work with Trump on, so would every other potential buyer ... But the problem with some of these ideas is they are inconsistent with the ruling of the Supreme Court," the investor told CNBC.

The back-and-forth has brought out mixed feelings from users, including some who planned to abandon TikTok after seeing Trump so heavily involved in the negotiations that could result in TikTok eventually being sold to one of his allies in the tech industry.

"I do not want to continue being a pawn in this hellscape. I am not saying it will make a difference to TikTok but it will make a difference to me," said Nicole Norman, a TikTok user, on Meta's Threads app. "I will not be back on TikTok."

Others, however, want TikTok back, which is not possible as long as Apple and Google parent Alphabet do not make it available.

"I’ve been checking every day," said travel content creator Lauren Scott. Scott, 29, currently in Brazil, read in some Facebook groups that Americans abroad may be able to access the app if they deleted and re-downloaded it. But that proved not to be the case, leaving her in limbo.

The delay may be because Google and Apple are awaiting additional protections before bypassing the ban that punishes the companies for hosting or distributing the app, according to analysts.

A notice on Apple's App Store said: "TikTok and other ByteDance apps are not available in the country or region you're in". Google Play showed: "Downloads for this app are paused due to current US legal requirements."

Some users have been tinkering with multi-step processes to gain access, such as trying to change their location in their phones.

"Really hoping TikTok comes back to the app store ASAP, not wanting to do any of that VPN stuff to get it back," said Lauren Nader, a TikTok user, on Threads.

Google, Apple and TikTok did not respond to requests for comment.

US legislators last year passed a law upheld by the US Supreme Court requiring ByteDance to either sell TikTok or face a ban, citing national security concerns. Many Democratic and Republican lawmakers still want to see ByteDance sell the app.

Trump suggested the United States government should be a half-owner of TikTok's US business in return for keeping the app alive, and warned that he could impose tariffs on China if Beijing failed to approve a deal.

China indicated this week for the first time it would be open to a transaction keeping TikTok operating in the United States, with its foreign ministry saying on Monday that companies "decide independently" on matters of their operations and deals.

Some users still on TikTok have suggested that the app's algorithm is "feeling different" since it came back online, fanned by fears about the future of the tool under a new ownership structure.

TikTok welcomed users back on Sunday with the message, "Thanks for your patience and support. As a result of President Trump's efforts, TikTok is back in the US!"

"I deactivated my account after it was 'back' this morning. I'm done with taking credit for the messes he starts," said TikTok user Janel Samson on Threads.

Over 200 iPhone and Android devices with the app downloaded were listed on the site for sale as of Tuesday night.



Google Says to Build New Subsea Cables from India in AI Push

A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra
A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra
TT

Google Says to Build New Subsea Cables from India in AI Push

A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra
A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra

Google announced Wednesday it would build new subsea cables from India and other locations as part of its existing $15 billion investment in the South Asian nation, which is hosting a major artificial intelligence summit this week.

The US tech giant said it would build "three subsea paths connecting India to Singapore, South Africa, and Australia; and four strategic fiber-optic routes that bolster network resilience and capacity between the United States, India, and multiple locations across the Southern Hemisphere".


Mark Zuckerberg Set to Testify in Watershed Social Media Trial 

Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Mark Zuckerberg Set to Testify in Watershed Social Media Trial 

Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)

Mark Zuckerberg will testify in an unprecedented social media trial that questions whether Meta's platforms deliberately addict and harm children.

Meta's CEO is expected to answer tough questions on Wednesday from attorneys representing a now 20-year-old woman identified by the initials KGM, who claims her early use of social media addicted her to the technology and exacerbated depression and suicidal thoughts. Meta Platforms and Google’s YouTube are the two remaining defendants in the case, which TikTok and Snap have settled.

Zuckerberg has testified in other trials and answered questions from Congress about youth safety on Meta's platforms, and he apologized to families at that hearing whose lives had been upended by tragedies they believed were because of social media.

This trial, though, marks the first time Zuckerberg will answer similar questions in front of a jury. and, again, bereaved parents are expected to be in the limited courtroom seats available to the public.

The case, along with two others, has been selected as a bellwether trial, meaning its outcome could impact how thousands of similar lawsuits against social media companies would play out.

A Meta spokesperson said the company strongly disagrees with the allegations in the lawsuit and said they are “confident the evidence will show our longstanding commitment to supporting young people.”

One of Meta's attorneys, Paul Schmidt, said in his opening statement that the company is not disputing that KGM experienced mental health struggles, but rather that Instagram played a substantial factor in those struggles.

He pointed to medical records that showed a turbulent home life, and both he and an attorney representing YouTube argue she turned to their platforms as a coping mechanism or a means of escaping her mental health struggles.

Zuckerberg's testimony comes a week after that of Adam Mosseri, the head of Meta's Instagram, who said in the courtroom that he disagrees with the idea that people can be clinically addicted to social media platforms.

Mosseri maintained that Instagram works hard to protect young people using the service, and said it's “not good for the company, over the long run, to make decisions that profit for us but are poor for people’s well-being."

Much of Mosseri's questioning from the plaintiff's lawyer, Mark Lanier, centered on cosmetic filters on Instagram that changed people’s appearance — a topic that Lanier is sure to revisit with Zuckerberg.

He is also expected to face questions about Instagram’s algorithm, the infinite nature of Meta’ feeds and other features the plaintiffs argue are designed to get users hooked.


US Tech Giant Nvidia Announces India Deals at AI Summit

FILED - 04 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: The NVIDIA logo is seen during a press conference at the opening of Telekom and NVIDIA's AI factory "Industrial AI Cloud". Photo: Sven Hoppe/dpa
FILED - 04 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: The NVIDIA logo is seen during a press conference at the opening of Telekom and NVIDIA's AI factory "Industrial AI Cloud". Photo: Sven Hoppe/dpa
TT

US Tech Giant Nvidia Announces India Deals at AI Summit

FILED - 04 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: The NVIDIA logo is seen during a press conference at the opening of Telekom and NVIDIA's AI factory "Industrial AI Cloud". Photo: Sven Hoppe/dpa
FILED - 04 February 2026, Bavaria, Munich: The NVIDIA logo is seen during a press conference at the opening of Telekom and NVIDIA's AI factory "Industrial AI Cloud". Photo: Sven Hoppe/dpa

US artificial intelligence chip titan Nvidia unveiled tie-ups with Indian computing firms on Wednesday as tech companies rushed to announce deals and investments at a global AI conference in New Delhi.

This week's AI Impact Summit is the fourth annual gathering to discuss how to govern the fast-evolving technology -- and also an opportunity to "define India's leadership in the AI decade ahead", organizers say.

Mumbai cloud and data center provider L&T said it was teaming up with Nvidia, the world's most valuable company, to build what it touted as "India's largest gigawatt-scale AI factory".

"We are laying the foundation for world-class AI infrastructure that will power India's growth," said Nvidia boss Jensen Huang in a statement that did not put a figure on the investment.

L&T said it would use Nvidia's powerful processors, which can train and run generative AI tech, to provide data center capacity of up to 30 megawatts in Chennai and 40 megawatts in Mumbai.

Nvidia said it was also working with other Indian AI infrastructure players such as Yotta, which will deploy more than 20,000 top-end Nvidia Blackwell processors as part of a $2 billion investment.

Dozens of world leaders and ministerial delegations have come to India for the summit to discuss the opportunities and threats, from job losses to misinformation, that AI poses.

Last year India leapt to third place -- overtaking South Korea and Japan -- in an annual global ranking of AI competitiveness calculated by Stanford University researchers.

But despite plans for large-scale infrastructure and grand ambitions for innovation, experts say the country has a long way to go before it can rival the United States and China.

The conference has also brought a flurry of deals, with IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw saying Tuesday that India expects more than $200 billion in investments over the next two years, including roughly $90 billion already committed.

Separately, India's Adani Group said Tuesday it plans to invest $100 billion by 2035 to develop "hyperscale AI-ready data centers", a boost to New Delhi's push to become a global AI hub.

Microsoft said it was investing $50 billion this decade to boost AI adoption in developing countries, while US artificial intelligence startup Anthropic and Indian IT giant Infosys said they would work together to build AI agents for the telecoms industry.

Nvidia's Huang is not attending the AI summit but other top US tech figures joining include OpenAI's Sam Altman, Google DeepMind's Demis Hassabis and Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other world leaders including French President Emmanuel Macron and Brazil's Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva are expected to deliver a statement at the end of the week about how they plan to address concerns raised by AI technology.

But experts say that the broad focus of the event and vague promises made at previous global AI summits in France, South Korea and Britain mean that concrete commitments are unlikely.

Nick Patience, practice lead for AI at tech research group Futurum, told AFP that nonbinding declarations could still "set the tone for what acceptable AI governance looks like".

But "the largest AI companies deploy capabilities at a pace that makes 18-month legislative cycles look glacial," Patience said.

"So it's a case of whether governments can converge fast enough to create meaningful guardrails before de facto standards are set by the companies themselves."