US Urges Curb of Google’s Search Dominance as AI Looms 

An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich, Switzerland, December 5, 2018. (Reuters)
An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich, Switzerland, December 5, 2018. (Reuters)
TT

US Urges Curb of Google’s Search Dominance as AI Looms 

An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich, Switzerland, December 5, 2018. (Reuters)
An illuminated Google logo is seen inside an office building in Zurich, Switzerland, December 5, 2018. (Reuters)

US government attorneys urged a federal judge Monday to make Google spin off its Chrome browser, arguing artificial intelligence is poised to ramp up the tech giant's online search dominance.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) made its pitch at a hearing before District Judge Amit Mehta, who is considering "remedies" after making a landmark decision last year that Google maintained an illegal monopoly in online search.

"Nothing less than the future of the internet is at stake here," Assistant Attorney General Gail Slater said prior to the start of the hearing in Washington.

"If Google's conduct is not remedied, it will control much of the internet for the next decade and not just in internet search, but in new technologies like artificial intelligence."

Google is among the tech companies investing heavily to be among the leader in AI, and is weaving the technology into search and other online offerings.

Google countered in the case that the United States has gone way beyond the scope of the suit by recommending a spinoff of its widely used Chrome, and holding open the option to force a sale of its Android mobile operating system.

The legal case focused on Google's agreements with partners such as Apple and Samsung to distribute its search tools, noted Google president of global affairs Kent Walker.

"The DOJ chose to push a radical interventionist agenda that would harm Americans and America's global technology leadership," Walker wrote in a blog post.

"The DOJ's wildly overbroad proposal goes miles beyond the Court's decision."

The DOJ case against Google regarding its dominance in internet search was filed in 2020.

Judge Mehta ruled against Google in August 2024.

- Ad tech under fire -

Google's battle to protect Chrome renewed just days after a different US judge ruled this month that it wielded monopoly power in the online ad technology market, in a legal blow that could rattle the tech giant's revenue engine.

The federal government and more than a dozen US states filed the antitrust suit against Alphabet-owned Google, accusing it of acting illegally to dominate three sectors of digital advertising -- publisher ad servers, advertiser tools, and ad exchanges.

The vast majority of websites use Google ad software products that, combined, leave no way for publishers to escape Google's advertising technology, the plaintiffs alleged.

District Court Judge Leonie Brinkema agreed with most of that reasoning, ruling that Google built an illegal monopoly over ad software and tools used by publishers, but partially dismissed the argument related to tools used by advertisers.

"Google has willfully engaged in a series of anticompetitive acts to acquire and maintain monopoly power in the publisher ad server and ad exchange markets for open-web display advertising," Brinkema said in her ruling.

The judge concluded that Google further entrenched its monopoly power with anticompetitive customer policies and by eliminating desirable product features.

Online advertising is the driving engine of Google's fortune and pays for widely used online services like Maps, Gmail, and search offered free.

Money pouring into Google's coffers also allows the Silicon Valley company to spend billions of dollars on its artificial intelligence efforts.

Combined, the courtroom defeats have the potential to leave Google split up and its influence curbed.

Google said it is appealing both rulings.



Saudi Arabia Showcases Responsible Use of AI at AI Impact Summit in India

Saudi Arabia took part in a high-level session on harnessing artificial intelligence on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit 2026 hosted by India.
Saudi Arabia took part in a high-level session on harnessing artificial intelligence on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit 2026 hosted by India.
TT

Saudi Arabia Showcases Responsible Use of AI at AI Impact Summit in India

Saudi Arabia took part in a high-level session on harnessing artificial intelligence on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit 2026 hosted by India.
Saudi Arabia took part in a high-level session on harnessing artificial intelligence on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit 2026 hosted by India.

Saudi Arabia, represented by the Saudi Data and Artificial Intelligence Authority (SDAIA), took part in a high-level session on harnessing artificial intelligence for people, planet, and progress on the sidelines of the AI Impact Summit 2026 hosted by India, the Saudi Press agency reported on Wednesday.

The event drew participation from more than 70 countries and 25 international organizations, as well as senior decision-makers and technology experts.

The Saudi delegation, led by SDAIA President Dr. Abdullah Alghamdi, included Saudi Ambassador to India Haitham Al-Maliki and officials from relevant government entities.

The session aimed to launch a global network of specialized AI scientific institutions, accelerate discovery through advanced technologies, strengthen international cooperation among states and research bodies, and support the deployment of artificial intelligence to address global challenges and advance the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) 2030.

Deputy Chief Strategy Officer at SDAIA Dr. Abdulrahman Habib emphasized the need to unify international efforts to promote the responsible and ethical use of artificial intelligence, ensuring a sustainable, positive impact on societies and economies worldwide and supporting the 2030 SDGs.

He also reviewed Saudi Arabia’s data and AI initiatives, highlighting efforts to develop regulatory frameworks and national policies that balance innovation with the governance of emerging technologies, as well as applied models that have enhanced quality of life, improved government service efficiency, and advanced environmental sustainability.

SDAIA's participation in the summit underscores Saudi Arabia’s role in shaping the global future of AI and in strengthening its presence in international forums focused on advanced technologies, in line with the objectives of Saudi Vision 2030, which prioritizes digital transformation and innovation.


Google Says to Build New Subsea Cables from India in AI Push

A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra
A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra
TT

Google Says to Build New Subsea Cables from India in AI Push

A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra
A logo of Google is on display at Bharat Mandapam, one of the venues for AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 17, 2026. REUTERS/Bhawika Chhabra

Google announced Wednesday it would build new subsea cables from India and other locations as part of its existing $15 billion investment in the South Asian nation, which is hosting a major artificial intelligence summit this week.

The US tech giant said it would build "three subsea paths connecting India to Singapore, South Africa, and Australia; and four strategic fiber-optic routes that bolster network resilience and capacity between the United States, India, and multiple locations across the Southern Hemisphere".


Mark Zuckerberg Set to Testify in Watershed Social Media Trial 

Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)
TT

Mark Zuckerberg Set to Testify in Watershed Social Media Trial 

Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)
Meta's CEO Mark Zuckerberg testifies during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing on online child sexual exploitation at the US Capitol in Washington, US, January 31, 2024. (Reuters)

Mark Zuckerberg will testify in an unprecedented social media trial that questions whether Meta's platforms deliberately addict and harm children.

Meta's CEO is expected to answer tough questions on Wednesday from attorneys representing a now 20-year-old woman identified by the initials KGM, who claims her early use of social media addicted her to the technology and exacerbated depression and suicidal thoughts. Meta Platforms and Google’s YouTube are the two remaining defendants in the case, which TikTok and Snap have settled.

Zuckerberg has testified in other trials and answered questions from Congress about youth safety on Meta's platforms, and he apologized to families at that hearing whose lives had been upended by tragedies they believed were because of social media.

This trial, though, marks the first time Zuckerberg will answer similar questions in front of a jury. and, again, bereaved parents are expected to be in the limited courtroom seats available to the public.

The case, along with two others, has been selected as a bellwether trial, meaning its outcome could impact how thousands of similar lawsuits against social media companies would play out.

A Meta spokesperson said the company strongly disagrees with the allegations in the lawsuit and said they are “confident the evidence will show our longstanding commitment to supporting young people.”

One of Meta's attorneys, Paul Schmidt, said in his opening statement that the company is not disputing that KGM experienced mental health struggles, but rather that Instagram played a substantial factor in those struggles.

He pointed to medical records that showed a turbulent home life, and both he and an attorney representing YouTube argue she turned to their platforms as a coping mechanism or a means of escaping her mental health struggles.

Zuckerberg's testimony comes a week after that of Adam Mosseri, the head of Meta's Instagram, who said in the courtroom that he disagrees with the idea that people can be clinically addicted to social media platforms.

Mosseri maintained that Instagram works hard to protect young people using the service, and said it's “not good for the company, over the long run, to make decisions that profit for us but are poor for people’s well-being."

Much of Mosseri's questioning from the plaintiff's lawyer, Mark Lanier, centered on cosmetic filters on Instagram that changed people’s appearance — a topic that Lanier is sure to revisit with Zuckerberg.

He is also expected to face questions about Instagram’s algorithm, the infinite nature of Meta’ feeds and other features the plaintiffs argue are designed to get users hooked.