Angham, Bassem Samra Receive Israeli ‘Threats’

Actor Bassem Samra
Actor Bassem Samra
TT
20

Angham, Bassem Samra Receive Israeli ‘Threats’

Actor Bassem Samra
Actor Bassem Samra

Egyptian singer Angham said she received Israeli threats because of her pro-Palestine stance and rejection of “the Israeli unprecedented violence against the people of Gaza.”

The singer said such messages do not intimidate her. “These threats made me laugh, they indicate weakness and helplessness,” she wrote on her Instagram page on Sunday.

Angham described Israelis as “occupiers and thugs,” and reminded them of the October 6th war in 1973, saying: “I am not defending Egypt because these threats prove that you are still aching from this battle, and it will always be the nightmare you’ll never wake up from. Egypt will forever remain free and independent, and always reminding you of the hardest moments your people lived.”

Before Angham, Actor Bassem Samra revealed that “he was threatened via a text message he received from an unknown number after his calls to open the borders to respond to the Israeli massacres appropriately,” during a pro-Palestine protest organized by the actors syndicate a few days ago.

Ashraf Zaky, the head of the Actors' Syndicate, who recently visited the Rafah border crossing to stand in solidarity with the Palestinians and call for the delivery of humanitarian aid, said “these threats are a reaction to the impact of the Egyptian artists’ statements rejecting the Israeli aggression.”

He told Asharq Al-Awsat that “the syndicate will always support its members and will remain a source of soft power bothering the enemy because it chooses justice and rejects genocide and bloody aggressions.”

Egyptian artists have volunteered with the Egyptian Red Crescent to help provide relief to the residents of Gaza who are besieged by Israel.



Elizabeth Strout, Miranda July are Among Finalists for the Women's Prize for Fiction

Yael Van Der Wouden arrives at the Booker Prize award dinner in London, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2024. (ΑΡ Photo/Alberto Pezzali, File)
Yael Van Der Wouden arrives at the Booker Prize award dinner in London, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2024. (ΑΡ Photo/Alberto Pezzali, File)
TT
20

Elizabeth Strout, Miranda July are Among Finalists for the Women's Prize for Fiction

Yael Van Der Wouden arrives at the Booker Prize award dinner in London, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2024. (ΑΡ Photo/Alberto Pezzali, File)
Yael Van Der Wouden arrives at the Booker Prize award dinner in London, Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2024. (ΑΡ Photo/Alberto Pezzali, File)

American authors Elizabeth Strout and Miranda July are among finalists announced Wednesday for the Women’s Prize for Fiction, alongside four debut novelists exploring the search for freedom in different countries and cultures.

Pulitzer Prize winner Strout’s Maine-set mystery novel “Tell Me Everything” and writer'-filmmaker July’s “All Fours,” in which a “semi-famous artist” seeks a new life, are shortlisted for the 30,000 pound ($39,000) prize. It's open to female English-language writers from any country.

The contenders also include Dutch writer Yael van der Wouden’s postwar story “The Safekeep” and German-born poet Aria Aber’s novel “Good Girl,” about a teenager exploring her dual German-Afghan heritage.

Also on the list are Iran-born writer Sanam Mahloudji’s intergenerational family saga “The Persians,” and “Fundamentally” by Britain's Nussaibah Younis, about an academic trying to rehabilitate women caught up with ISIS, The AP news reported.

Author Kit de Waal, who is chairing the panel of judges, said that the six books were “classics of the future” that explored “the importance of human connection.”

“What is surprising and refreshing is to see so much humor, nuance and lightness employed by these novelists to shed light on challenging concepts,” she said.

Previous winners of the fiction prize, founded in 1996, include Zadie Smith, Tayari Jones and Barbara Kingsolver.

Last year, award organizers launched a companion Women’s Prize for Nonfiction to help rectify an imbalance in publishing. In 2022, only 26.5% of nonfiction books reviewed in Britain’s newspapers were by women, and male writers dominated established nonfiction writing prizes.

Winners of both nonfiction and fiction prizes will be announced on June 12 at a ceremony in London.