China's Space Program: Five Things to Know

Chang'e-3, which carried a robotic rover, was China's first landing on the Moon. CCTV / CCTV/AFP/File
Chang'e-3, which carried a robotic rover, was China's first landing on the Moon. CCTV / CCTV/AFP/File
TT

China's Space Program: Five Things to Know

Chang'e-3, which carried a robotic rover, was China's first landing on the Moon. CCTV / CCTV/AFP/File
Chang'e-3, which carried a robotic rover, was China's first landing on the Moon. CCTV / CCTV/AFP/File

When Chang'e-3 became the first Chinese craft to land on the Moon 10 years ago, it kicked off nationwide celebrations -- and a decade of major successes for a rapidly accelerating space program.
Since the December 14, 2013 landing, China has built a crewed space station, sent a robotic rover to Mars and become the first nation to make a controlled landing on the far side of the Moon, AFP reported.
President Xi Jinping has described building China into a space power as "our eternal dream".
Here are five things to know about this space program:
A slow start
Chinese leader Mao Zedong declared his nation's space ambitions soon after the Soviet Union launched the world's first satellite, Sputnik 1, in 1957.
It took 13 years for China to launch its first satellite Dong Fang Hong, or "The East is Red" -- named after the famous Communist revolutionary song it broadcast from orbit.
It was not until the late 1980s that the program began to pick up pace, alongside China's ascent into the world's richest and most powerful nations.
Overseen by the military, its secretive space program's goals became more ambitious. In 1992, it formally began a project to send humans into space.
'Taikonauts'
More than three decades after its first satellite launch, on October 15, 2003, Yang Liwei became the first Chinese to travel into space, and an instant national hero.
With the success of his Shenzhou 5 mission, China became only the third nation after the United States and Russia to demonstrate the ability to launch humans into space.
In total, 20 Chinese astronauts have made the journey into space, including two women. State media have used the term "taikonaut" to describe China's spacefarers.
Many of them have journeyed to Tiangong, China's first long-term space station whose construction was completed last year.
Though much smaller than the International Space Station, it contains living quarters for a rotating crew, robotic arms and airlocks for conducting spacewalks.
To the Moon
China has also sent exploration missions to the Moon.
Named after the Moon goddess in Chinese folklore, Chang'e-3 touched down on the surface in 2013, making China only the third nation to successfully land there.
Two other milestones followed. In 2019, China became the first nation to make a controlled landing on the far side of the Moon with Chang'e-4.
A year later, Chang'e-5 brought the first lunar samples to Earth in more than 40 years.
Chinese space authorities have said they plan to land humans on the Moon by 2030, as well as build a lunar base.
Mars and deep space
One of the most spectacular successes of the Chinese space program came in 2021 when its Tianwen-1 mission landed a rover named Zhurong on the surface of Mars.
China is only the second nation after the United States to put a robotic rover on the Red Planet.
Officials have said they aim to send a crewed mission there by 2033.
Aside from landers and orbiters, China is soon expected to launch a space telescope named Xuntian.
Orbiting close to the Tiangong space station, with which it can dock, Xuntian is expected to have a field of view far greater than NASA's Hubble telescope.
Defense and prestige
While China says it opposes the weaponization of space, its policy makers have also identified space as critical to national defense and security.
Its military is a core player in the national space program, and China is developing spy satellites, anti-satellite missiles and electronic warfare capabilities, according to the US military.
China "sees counterspace operations as a means to deter and counter a US intervention during a regional military conflict", the Pentagon said in a report to Congress this year.
And beyond the direct applications of these technologies, China considers success in space as a major driver of its image as a global power at home and abroad.
"National prestige is perhaps one of the most important, if not the most important, motives driving Chinese space ambitions," said R. Lincoln Hines, an assistant professor at the Georgia Institute of Technology in the United States.
"These symbols of increasing international status provide a powerful form of domestic propaganda."



Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
TT

Sydney Man Jailed for Mailing Reptiles in Popcorn Bags 

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)
Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania. (AFP file)

A Sydney man who tried to post native lizards, dragons and other reptiles out of Australia in bags of popcorn and biscuit tins has been sentenced to eight years in jail, authorities said Tuesday.

The eight-year term handed down on Friday was a record for wildlife smuggling, federal environment officials said.

A district court in Sydney gave the man, 61-year-old Neil Simpson, a non-parole period of five years and four months.

Investigators recovered 101 Australian reptiles from seized parcels destined for Hong Kong, South Korea, Sri Lanka and Romania, the officials said in a statement.

The animals -- including shingleback lizards, western blue-tongue lizards, bearded dragons and southern pygmy spiny-tailed skinks -- were posted in 15 packages between 2018 and 2023.

"Lizards, skinks and dragons were secured in calico bags. These bags were concealed in bags of popcorn, biscuit tins and a women's handbag and placed inside cardboard boxes," the statement said.

The smuggler had attempted to get others to post the animals on his behalf but was identified by government investigators and the New South Wales police, it added.

Three other people were convicted for taking part in the crime.

The New South Wales government's environment department said that "the illegal wildlife trade is not a victimless crime", harming conservation and stripping the state "and Australia of its unique biodiversity".


Two Snowboarders Dead after Austrian Avalanche

A member of the CRS Alpes Grenoble mountain rescue team operates as he searches for potential buried victims during an avalanche emergency response rescue mission in an off-piste area of the Ecrins massif, French Alps on January 29, 2026. (Photo by JEFF PACHOUD / AFP)
A member of the CRS Alpes Grenoble mountain rescue team operates as he searches for potential buried victims during an avalanche emergency response rescue mission in an off-piste area of the Ecrins massif, French Alps on January 29, 2026. (Photo by JEFF PACHOUD / AFP)
TT

Two Snowboarders Dead after Austrian Avalanche

A member of the CRS Alpes Grenoble mountain rescue team operates as he searches for potential buried victims during an avalanche emergency response rescue mission in an off-piste area of the Ecrins massif, French Alps on January 29, 2026. (Photo by JEFF PACHOUD / AFP)
A member of the CRS Alpes Grenoble mountain rescue team operates as he searches for potential buried victims during an avalanche emergency response rescue mission in an off-piste area of the Ecrins massif, French Alps on January 29, 2026. (Photo by JEFF PACHOUD / AFP)

Two snowboarders have been confirmed dead after their bodies were recovered following an avalanche in western Austria over the weekend, police said Monday.

Avalanches across the Alps have claimed several victims in recent days following heavy snowfall.

An avalanche struck two 37-year-old off-piste snowboarders on the Stubai glacier in Tyrol province, burying them under the snow, police said in a statement.

The two Austrian men were reported missing after they had not returned from their snowboarding trip, prompting a large-scale search operation that included dogs and drones.

The buried snowboarders were located on Sunday night, but emergency services "could only confirm the death of the two men", Reuters quoted the statement as saying.

A level-four avalanche risk warning -- out of five -- is currently in place in the area following heavy snowfall in recent days.

In neighboring Italy, two skiers were killed on Sunday and another was in serious condition after an avalanche struck a slope near Courmayeur.

Avalanches have already killed several dozen people across the French, Swiss, Italian and Austrian Alps so far this season.


Wild New Zealand Storm Disrupts Transport, Leaves Thousands Without Power

Trees lie amid the floodwaters after heavy rain and wild winds in Puketotara, Waikato region, New Zealand, February 14, 2026, in this picture obtained from social media. Wayne Feisst/via REUTERS
Trees lie amid the floodwaters after heavy rain and wild winds in Puketotara, Waikato region, New Zealand, February 14, 2026, in this picture obtained from social media. Wayne Feisst/via REUTERS
TT

Wild New Zealand Storm Disrupts Transport, Leaves Thousands Without Power

Trees lie amid the floodwaters after heavy rain and wild winds in Puketotara, Waikato region, New Zealand, February 14, 2026, in this picture obtained from social media. Wayne Feisst/via REUTERS
Trees lie amid the floodwaters after heavy rain and wild winds in Puketotara, Waikato region, New Zealand, February 14, 2026, in this picture obtained from social media. Wayne Feisst/via REUTERS

Heavy rain and strong winds disrupted flights, trains and ferries, forcing the closure of roads across large parts of New Zealand's North Island on Monday, while snapping power links to tens of thousands.

Domestic media reported a few flights had resumed operating by afternoon from the airport in Wellington, the capital, although cancellations were still widespread after airport authorities said most morning flights were disrupted.

Air New Zealand said it hoped to ‌resume services when conditions ‌ease later on Monday, after it paused ‌operations at ⁠Wellington, Napier and ⁠Palmerston North airports.

Online images showed flooded semi-rural neighborhoods, inundated homes, trees fallen on vehicles and collapsed sections of road after waters receded.

The weather had been "absolutely terrifying", Marilyn Bulford, who lives in the rural town of Bunnythorpe, about 160 km (100 miles) north of Wellington, told the New Zealand Herald newspaper.

"I've never seen huge trees blowing around this much," she added. "It's so bad. ⁠I haven't seen anything like it."

The Wellington region accounted ‌for more than half the ‌852 emergency calls received overnight, said Ken Cooper, assistant national commander of the emergency services.

"We ‌had a very busy night, and our firefighters are continuing to ‌respond to calls," Reuters quoted him as saying.

More than 30,000 properties were without power, including about 10,000 customers in Wellington, said authorities, who have urged motorists to stay off roads, while several schools were closed as emergency crews tackled widespread damage.

The storm is ‌forecast to bring heavy rains as it heads for the east coast of the South Island on ⁠Tuesday, the ⁠weather bureau said, with authorities warning of further disruption.

Raw sewage discharged after this month's failure of Wellington's main wastewater treatment plant in a storm was washed back onto the south coast by the weekend storm, in an incident some residents called a "poonami" on social media.

A low-pressure system east of the North Island has battered several regions since the weekend, bringing heavy rain and severe gales. A man was found dead on Saturday in a submerged vehicle on a highway.

The storm follows six deaths last month in a landslide triggered by heavy rains at Mount Maunganui on the North Island's east coast, bringing down soil and rubble on a site crowded with families on summer holidays.