Accessible Salon Opened in UK by Balcony Fall Survivor

Maddi Neale-Shankster made the decision to open the salon after struggling to access beauty treatments
Maddi Neale-Shankster made the decision to open the salon after struggling to access beauty treatments
TT
20

Accessible Salon Opened in UK by Balcony Fall Survivor

Maddi Neale-Shankster made the decision to open the salon after struggling to access beauty treatments
Maddi Neale-Shankster made the decision to open the salon after struggling to access beauty treatments

A beautician left paralyzed after a balcony fall has opened an accessible salon in the UK where people should "not feel like a burden for needing extra support,” BBC reported.

Maddi Neale-Shankster, from Coventry, made the decision after struggling to access beauty treatments, BBC said on Thursday.

Neale-Shankster hoped the salon would be a sanctuary for wheelchair users and the able-bodied alike. A place where people did not feel judged, she said.

Neale-Shankster was injured last year after falling 18.2m while holidaying with friends on the island of Ko Pha Ngan in Thailand.

Recalling an attempt to use a sunbed in the city with a friend's help, the 22-year-old said it could only be allowed if a door was left open.

The experience drove the beautician to open her own salon that she hopes will be a sanctuary for wheelchair users and able-bodied people alike, "where you don't feel judged, out of place, a burden for needing extra support."

"There's absolutely nothing that's ever gonna stop me from getting my lashes done and having a sunbed."

She had often been left with no option but to carry out catheter care at the back door of a former business premises, she said.

"I didn't fit in the toilet, I didn't fit down the corridor, I didn't fit in the nail desk," she told BBC CWR.

Now, her purpose-built salon features wider nail desks, rooms, doorways, and access via a slow inclining ramp.



Rat Earns World Record for Sniffing Landmines in Cambodia

This handout photo taken on February 23, 2022 and released by Belgian charity APOPO on April 4, 2025 shows a rat named Ronin sniffing for landmines in a mine field in Preah Vihear province. (Photo by Handout / APOPO / AFP)
This handout photo taken on February 23, 2022 and released by Belgian charity APOPO on April 4, 2025 shows a rat named Ronin sniffing for landmines in a mine field in Preah Vihear province. (Photo by Handout / APOPO / AFP)
TT
20

Rat Earns World Record for Sniffing Landmines in Cambodia

This handout photo taken on February 23, 2022 and released by Belgian charity APOPO on April 4, 2025 shows a rat named Ronin sniffing for landmines in a mine field in Preah Vihear province. (Photo by Handout / APOPO / AFP)
This handout photo taken on February 23, 2022 and released by Belgian charity APOPO on April 4, 2025 shows a rat named Ronin sniffing for landmines in a mine field in Preah Vihear province. (Photo by Handout / APOPO / AFP)

A landmine-hunting rat in Cambodia has set a new world record by sniffing out more than 100 mines and pieces of unexploded ordnance, a charity said Friday.

Ronin, a giant African pouched rat, has tracked down 109 landmines and 15 other potentially deadly war remnants since his deployment to northern Preah Vihear province in August 2021, the Belgian charity APOPO said in a statement.

Five-year-old Ronin has been named the most successful Mine Detection Rat (MDR) in the organization’s history, AFP reported.

"His exceptional accomplishments have earned him the Guinness World Records title for most landmines detected by a rat, highlighting the critical role of HeroRats in humanitarian demining," APOPO said.

Ronin beat the previous record, held by hero rodent Magawa who found 71 landmines and 38 UXOs during his five-year service before retirement in 2021.

Magawa, who was awarded a gold medal for heroism for clearing mines from about 225,000 square metres of land -- the equivalent of 42 football pitches -- died in 2022.

Ronin may have two years or more of detection work ahead of him, APOPO said.