Oldest Pearl Harbor Survivor Is Keeping Memory of the Surprise Bombing Alive at 106

 Freeman K. Johnson, a 106-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor, holds up his dog tag, May 6, 2026, in Centerville, Mass. (AP)
Freeman K. Johnson, a 106-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor, holds up his dog tag, May 6, 2026, in Centerville, Mass. (AP)
TT

Oldest Pearl Harbor Survivor Is Keeping Memory of the Surprise Bombing Alive at 106

 Freeman K. Johnson, a 106-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor, holds up his dog tag, May 6, 2026, in Centerville, Mass. (AP)
Freeman K. Johnson, a 106-year-old Pearl Harbor survivor, holds up his dog tag, May 6, 2026, in Centerville, Mass. (AP)

On the day of the Pearl Harbor attack, the country's oldest living survivor of the Japanese bombing was far below deck helping repair one the boilers of the USS St. Louis.

Freeman Johnson, who turned 106 in March, never witnessed the surprise attack. He never heard his shipmates firing antiaircraft guns at the attacking planes — shooting down a torpedo plane. By the time he was topside, the St. Louis, a light cruiser, had evaded midget submarines and safely set out to sea.

"While all the rigamarole was going on topside, I was inside a steam drum. Couldn’t see anything, absolutely nothing," said Johnson, a Centerville, Massachusetts, resident whose living room is filled with mementos and photos of his Navy service, including photos of the St. Louis and him as a young sailor, along with a collection of Navy challenge coins and ribbons representing the places he visited. He still has his military identification tag — popularly known as dog tag.

Even as the St. Louis headed into the Pacific Ocean, Johnson, whose job was known as a fireman on the ship, knew little about the attack.

"We were way out to sea, way out. You couldn’t see any land at all. All you saw was ocean," he said. "I was just a sailor, just a swabbie, I was not an officer. They don’t tell you anything if you don’t need to know. And I didn’t need know it. So they tell you nothing."

When he visited schools, children often asked Johnson whether he was scared that day. "You’re not scared. You’re too busy to be scared," he said, his gravelly voice rising. "Besides, you don’t know what you’re scared of. You can’t see anything. What are you afraid of?

One of only 11 survivors

Johnson became the oldest survivor after World War II Navy veteran Ira "Ike" Schab died in December. He was 105. With Schab's passing, there remain only 11 survivors of the surprise attack, which killed just over 2,400 troops and propelled the United States into the war. The United States mourns the nation’s fallen service members on Memorial Day, which takes place Monday.

Every year, there is a remembrance ceremony at the military base’s waterfront for Pearl Harbor survivors.

About 2,000 survivors attended the 50th anniversary event in 1991. A few dozen have showed in recent decades. In 2024, only two made it. That is out of an estimated 87,000 troops stationed on Oahu that day. None made the pilgrimage to Hawaii last year.

Growing recognition

For most of his life, Johnson avoided the spotlight and talked little about surviving the bombing. After all, he was one of the tens of thousands sailors who were there on that tragic day. He recalled his wife, Ruth, "thought that was something special" so she called the Navy and "the girl laughed at her."

But as the oldest survivor, he's become a local celebrity and the reluctant face of one of the most important events in World War II. Johnson showed up at his 106th birthday party in a limousine and was mugged by television cameras. He gets letters from all over the world and is routinely called a hero wherever he goes out.

Johnson, who is hard of hearing, needs a walker to get around and suffers from congestive heart failure, can recall his wartime experience down to the smallest detail. A 19-year-old who was unemployed and living at home in Waltham, Johnson said he feared being drafted so he signed up for the Navy — because he felt it would be less physically taxing than the Army.

"As a kid, I walked. If I wanted to go somewhere, I walked or took my bicycle. But I didn't want to walk from France to Germany," he said, sitting in a recliner, dressed in an oversized flannel shirt and waving his hands like an orchestra conductor.

"It's a long way carrying a knapsack with you ... Water for a day, food for a day, a 9-pound Springfield rifle all on your back and walking through the mud," he said. "No thanks. That’s why I joined the Navy."

Witnessing history

Johnson's memories have less to do with battles while on the St. Louis, and later aboard the USS Iowa, than their significant roles in history. He helped commission the Iowa and recalled the battleship's preparations in November 1943 ahead of transporting President Franklin D. Roosevelt to the Tehran Conference with British Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Soviet dictator Josef Stalin.

The ship was equipped with two elevators and a bathtub. All the ammunition and much of the oil was removed to lighten the ship as it made its way down the Potomac River to pick up Roosevelt. It was reloaded before the ship headed out to sea.

"It was a big meeting," Johnson said, recalling how the crew were photographed with Roosevelt. "I don’t know what they talked about, but I didn’t need to know. We picked him back up, brought him home."

Johnson also witnessed the war's end aboard the Iowa. He was on the Iowa's mast watching the surrender ceremonies about a mile away in Tokyo Bay aboard the USS Missouri on Sept. 2, 1945.

"I could see the boats coming up with the Marines escorting the Japanese onto ship and sitting around a table," he said. "It was all over. That was the end of the war. A bunch of us got together — the war is over. Let's go home."

Telling the story of Pearl Harbor

These days, his daughter, Diane Johnson, is often by his side. They live together and always take a trip on Dec. 7, often attending Pearl Harbor remembrance events, including the 65th and 80th anniversary in Hawaii. She often poses questions to get her father talking and likes to nag him that he has "a responsibility" to share the story of Pearl Harbor —- especially for children who know little about the bombing.

"It’s kind of overwhelming when you think of it. Well, the 106 is what gets me," she said. "When I think about his history, he’s at the beginning, he’s at middle, he is at the end when he witnessed the surrender. It’s something."

Johnson began getting more attention several ago, when Diane Johnson heard a local television report suggesting the last survivor in the state had died. She called to correct the record and that raised his profile. Johnson also started making regular appearances in the Cape Cod St. Patrick's Parade, often leading from the front.

"I wish more people were like him today. He just gets on and doesn't complain about anything," said Desmond Keogh, the chairman of the parade who has accompanied Johnson. "It's what this country was all about. They were just a different generation. They did what was best for their country."

For all the attention to Pearl Harbor, the gruff Johnson, who is known for his cackling laugh and mischievous smile, doesn't see it as a defining moment in his life.

That would have been getting married after the war to his late wife and having three daughters. He also worked for years in a machinist shop, then in a convenience store and, finally, delivering meals to seniors — all jobs he retired from, the last one at the age of 90.

"Pearl Harbor just happened. I can’t put it any other way," he said.



Indonesia Deploys Hundreds of Soldiers to Tackle Borneo Fires

 In this aerial photo released by Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) on Friday, Aug. 21, 2026, smoke billows as a wildfire rages through a peatland forest in Bulungan, North Kalimantan, Indonesia. (BNPB via AP)
In this aerial photo released by Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) on Friday, Aug. 21, 2026, smoke billows as a wildfire rages through a peatland forest in Bulungan, North Kalimantan, Indonesia. (BNPB via AP)
TT

Indonesia Deploys Hundreds of Soldiers to Tackle Borneo Fires

 In this aerial photo released by Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) on Friday, Aug. 21, 2026, smoke billows as a wildfire rages through a peatland forest in Bulungan, North Kalimantan, Indonesia. (BNPB via AP)
In this aerial photo released by Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) on Friday, Aug. 21, 2026, smoke billows as a wildfire rages through a peatland forest in Bulungan, North Kalimantan, Indonesia. (BNPB via AP)

Indonesia is deploying an additional 1,500 soldiers to Borneo, an official said Saturday, to help tackle wildfires that have burned through swathes of the island and created thick smog choking some areas.

Fires between January and July burned over 200,000 hectares of land -- an area three times the size of the capital Jakarta, the government said this week, as dry conditions driven by a powerful El Nino weather pattern take hold.

President Prabowo Subianto, on a visit to Borneo on Saturday to lead wildfire response meetings, ordered increased troop deployment, said Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya.

"An additional three Indonesia National Armed Forces battalions, or around 1,5000 personnel, will be brought in from outside Kalimantan starting today," Teddy said in a statement.

Kalimantan is Indonesia's part of Borneo, which the country shares with Brunei and Malaysia.

Six helicopters were also set to arrive on Saturday to boost waterbombing operations, Teddy said.

The government is monitoring the situation closely, mobilizing resources to help contain the spread of the blaze, Prabowo told reporters in the Central Kalimantan provincial capital of Palangkaraya.

"We're taking mitigation measures. The important thing is to immediately stop the spread of fire spots," said the president.

Smog from the fires has prompted local governments in Borneo, home to pristine rainforest and vast plantations, to advise residents to wear masks and reduce outdoor activities.

The fires have sent smoke into Malaysian Borneo, with six areas of Sarawak state recording "unhealthy" air quality.

The area burned is already larger than during previous El Nino seasons in 2019 and 2023, but not as large as in 2015, during a particularly strong El Nino.

El Nino is a naturally occurring climate phenomenon that brings worldwide changes in winds, air pressure and rainfall patterns. It typically brings drought in Indonesia.

Human-caused climate change can amplify its impacts because a warmer ocean and atmosphere make more energy and moisture available to feed extreme weather events.


Heavy Rain Lashes Northeast Spain, Injuring 11

Three people were injured when a wall collapsed at the port of Roda de Bera. (AFP file)
Three people were injured when a wall collapsed at the port of Roda de Bera. (AFP file)
TT

Heavy Rain Lashes Northeast Spain, Injuring 11

Three people were injured when a wall collapsed at the port of Roda de Bera. (AFP file)
Three people were injured when a wall collapsed at the port of Roda de Bera. (AFP file)

Heavy rain battered northeast Spain, flooding streets, trapping people in cars, forcing the evacuation of a campsite and injuring 11 people, officials said Saturday. 

Three people were injured, one critically, when a wall collapsed near the seafront at the port of Roda de Bera, about 75 kilometers (45 miles) southwest of Barcelona, emergency services said. Firefighters had to free two people trapped under the rubble. 

Seven people were taken to hospital following other incidents, including two who were injured when another wall collapsed during the overnight storm at a campsite in Roda de Bera. 

Firefighters evacuated around 300 people staying at the campsite, with about 100 taking shelter at a municipal sports centre, officials said. 

Around 100 people were evacuated from a nightclub in El Vendrell, a town of about 40,000 people, and taken to a school. 

The seafront in El Vendrell was submerged under more than half a meter (20 inches) of water, while several streets in nearby Coma-ruga and Torredembarra were also flooded, Catalan public television reported. 

El Vendrell was among the areas worst affected, recording 145.4 liters of rain per square meter (26.7 imperial gallons per square yard) in 24 hours, according to the Catalan Meteorological Service. 

Emergency services received more than 800 calls, with firefighters rescuing people from vehicles trapped in floodwater and dealing with flooded premises, the service said in a statement. 

The storm came a week after a flood and landslide triggered by torrential rain killed two women in northwest Spain. 


'Aura' Battles Leap from Social Media to Latin America Streets

A young Mexican gestures towards his opponent in an "aura battle" replete with social media memes in Mexico City on August 20, 2026. Yuri CORTEZ / AFP
A young Mexican gestures towards his opponent in an "aura battle" replete with social media memes in Mexico City on August 20, 2026. Yuri CORTEZ / AFP
TT

'Aura' Battles Leap from Social Media to Latin America Streets

A young Mexican gestures towards his opponent in an "aura battle" replete with social media memes in Mexico City on August 20, 2026. Yuri CORTEZ / AFP
A young Mexican gestures towards his opponent in an "aura battle" replete with social media memes in Mexico City on August 20, 2026. Yuri CORTEZ / AFP

In the middle of a cheering crowd in Mexico City, two teenagers are limbering up for battle.

Staring at each other intently, they look as if they could come to blows.

Instead, they take turns to silently perform a series of moves and poses that look, to the untrained eye, as if they are playing charades or, as they writhe on the ground, breakdancing.

Welcome to an "aura farming" battle, a phenomenon born on social media that has spilled over onto the streets of Latin America, AFP said.

Carlos Irving Quintana, a slim 14-year-old with purple hair, wins cheers of approval with his enactment of the iconic "Siuuu" leap of Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo when he scores a goal.

He continues by "mewing," a TikTok trend where people suck in their cheeks and point a finger at their jawline to emphasize their chiseled features.

His opponent responds by juggling his outstretched palms in a "6-7," a viral youth meme that has no fixed meaning but has become so ubiquitous that even Pope Leo has taken to performing it.

- Confidence test -

On TikTok and Instagram, a person's "aura" alludes to their style or attitude, with "100% aura" high praise for the most effortlessly cool persona.

"Farming" refers to repetitive tactics used to gain points in video games.

These rare real-life gatherings of young people in the social media era are also gaining popularity in Argentina, Brazil, Peru and Bolivia.

Most of the participants were between 14 and 20 years old.

They are judged on their ability to reference as many viral memes and videos as possible.

Young people gather around, recording the action on their cellphones as tinny, video game-like music emanates from a speaker.

The winner of the recent Mexico City edition was a fresh-faced Kaled Rosales Salazar, who mimicked lassoing and leading his opponent, Quintana, like a horse, with a giant white sandal as a prop.

A jury member said he recognized the youngster's potential from the moment he clapped eyes on his red Cars-themed Lightning McQueen shorts and clogs.

"Whoever looks the best, shows it off, gets the most laughs and has the most confidence wins," said 22-year-old Aldhir Gonzalez, organizer of the bout, which took place in front of the Palace of Fine Arts.

In Argentina, the contests have fueled numerous memes that have even been seized on by top-flight football clubs.

Boca Juniors posted a photo on X of its midfielder Santiago Ascacibar celebrating a goal and joking that his aura was unbeatable.

- 'Getting out of the house' -

"Aura is a lifestyle" that "almost no one understands," said the organizer of an upcoming battle in Buenos Aires.

Older audiences, however, are mystified by what some see as a dumbing down of popular culture.

"If it were up to me, there would be mandatory military service," said a mayor in Honduras who banned the battles.

Venezuelan psychologist Maria Eugenia Tovar defended the battles, arguing they "can lead to in-person encounters" for teens.

Rosales came away with 3,000 pesos (about $177) in prize money. In Argentina, the reward is the mantle of having "infinite aura."

"I plan to go to more battles," he told AFP. "More than for a prize, I do it to have fun and get out of the house."