EU Moves Closer to Kicking Kids off Social Media

Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Kick, YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Reddit, Threads and X applications are displayed on a mobile phone in this picture illustration taken on December 9, 2025. (Reuters)
Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Kick, YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Reddit, Threads and X applications are displayed on a mobile phone in this picture illustration taken on December 9, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

EU Moves Closer to Kicking Kids off Social Media

Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Kick, YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Reddit, Threads and X applications are displayed on a mobile phone in this picture illustration taken on December 9, 2025. (Reuters)
Instagram, TikTok, Snapchat, Kick, YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Reddit, Threads and X applications are displayed on a mobile phone in this picture illustration taken on December 9, 2025. (Reuters)

Restrictions on children's use of social media in the European Union could come as early as this summer, as a long-awaited expert report next week is expected to recommend limiting minors' access to online platforms.

After Australia became the first country in the world to ban under-16s from social media, several EU nations including Denmark and Greece demanded a similar move.

The EU says all options are on the table, from a blanket ban on children from social media platforms to restrictions on certain services and features.

It appears there is little appetite for a broadbrush approach and EU officials insist no decisions have been taken before the panel tasked by EU chief Ursula von der Leyen delivers its recommendations on July 13.

Von der Leyen has indicated in the past she supports restrictions, with a formal announcement expected in September -- although that could change.

"It is not the question when children or teenagers would have access to social media, I would say it's more the question when social media has access to our children and teenagers," she said last week.

She is under pressure as some European capitals including Paris have already drawn up their own legislation, although Brussels on Monday told France to amend its draft law since it encroached on the European Commission's powers.

The EU says it will do more to protect children online -- not just on social media.

"Whatever decisions are made on age limits, we must also tackle the business models and design choices shaping children's online experiences every day," EU consumer protection commissioner Michael McGrath told AFP.

Risk-based limits?

The panel is not expected to recommend a blanket social media ban either.

For an idea on what to expect, observers point to a German panel that put forward two options last month: a statutory minimum age of 13 -- which many platforms have -- or restrictions on individual services and features.

The European Commission, the EU's digital watchdog, has been closely watching how the ban unfolded in Australia -- where there have been challenges -- and could opt for a different approach.

Brussels could take a risk-based approach, prohibiting features it views as harmful rather than banning platforms like Instagram, Snapchat or TikTok.

Bans have been growing in popularity worldwide, with Britain and Indonesia taking similar steps. Many EU states like Greece and Spain have also prepared their own bans, though Estonia fiercely opposes such a move.

A majority of Europeans surveyed in France, Germany, Italy, Poland, and Spain, for a YouGov poll published on Thursday want platforms to remove "harmful" design features like endless scroll and personalized content feeds.

Digital rights experts say bans are not the right way to go, arguing the EU should instead make platforms safer for children with the legal armory it has.

"We don't think that exclusion is the answer. We need to enforce our existing laws," Simeon de Brouwer of digital rights group EDRi told AFP, adding he hoped new strengthened consumer protection rules would be "ambitious".

McGrath said the new law expected later this year would "recognize children as vulnerable consumers" and that minors "must be protected by design".

'Responsibility lies with platforms'

Such steps are backed by Europeans.

The YouGov poll found 75 percent of the over 5,100 adults surveyed said platforms should be inaccessible to minors until they can prove they are safe.

"We must focus on measures that ensure the responsibility lies with the platforms to prove their products are safe before they can be used by children, or anyone," Michiel van Hulten, EU director at Reset Tech, said.

The EU has a significant legal weapon in the form of an online content law that forces the world's biggest platforms to ensure harmful and dangerous content is swiftly removed and bans targeted advertisements to children.

But de Brouwer said the EU was "timid" about enforcing the law. While the EU told Chinese-owned TikTok to change its "addictive design", it has only told US-based Meta to enforce age verification, he said.

An EU official told AFP, however, the commission is set to issue findings against Meta's Facebook and Instagram in a probe looking at how their services may cause addictive behavior in children before the summer ends.



The Sunhat is Everywhere in Athens as Crowds Grow Larger at Ancient Sites

Tourists wearing hats take photographs on the rocky Areios Pagos Hill next to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)
Tourists wearing hats take photographs on the rocky Areios Pagos Hill next to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)
TT

The Sunhat is Everywhere in Athens as Crowds Grow Larger at Ancient Sites

Tourists wearing hats take photographs on the rocky Areios Pagos Hill next to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)
Tourists wearing hats take photographs on the rocky Areios Pagos Hill next to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, Friday, Aug. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)

Outside the Acropolis, a sea of hats bobs up and down the hill to the ancient site: straw boaters, Panama hats, baseball caps and bucket hats in the relentless heat.

Hat racks are hard to miss in central Athens this summer. Kiosks and stores keep outdoor stands piled high as more tourists seek relief from the midday heat.

The Acropolis drew about 4.6 million visitors in 2025, a record year for Greek tourism. Many spend hours in mid-30s Celsius (mid-90s Fahrenheit) temperatures with little shade. Even a carriage horse at the foot of the ancient monument has joined in, sporting a brown bucket hat with holes cut for its ears.

“You need a hat. I’m already red as it is,” said Jack Yosif, an Australian tourist wearing a black baseball cap. “It’s a bit more of a common thing nowadays, and people are a bit more aware.”

Scorching temperatures didn't deter a record 38 million visitors last year, the most recent for which there is data. The combination of extreme heat and high demand for sites — which means not everyone can visit in the morning — is adding urgency to sun protection.

Greek health campaigners have welcomed a growing awareness of the dangers of ultraviolet exposure and risk of heat stroke. Red Cross volunteers at the Acropolis hand out kits with sunscreen, water, information leaflets and red caps, The Associated Press reported.

Hats are displayed alongside materials using in their production on hangers and shelves at a shop in Athens, Greece, Tuesday, Aug. 11, 2026. (AP Photo/Thanassis Stavrakis)

On nearby Syntagma Square, kiosk owner Konstantinos Mallios says hat sales have risen in recent years. His stylish and souvenir models run up to 20 euros ($24) while the cheapest costs 6 euros. Available elsewhere is semi-disposable headgear: mass-produced hats made using compressed paper pulp.

And there are more ostentatious options. At her basement workshop, hatmaker Lisa Sarigiannidou turns straw braids into boaters using century-old presses and molds in a matter of minutes. Her hats start at around 50 euros, with elaborate designs costing more than 100 euros.

“People’s attitudes toward hats have changed,” said Sarigiannidou, who was trained by her hatmaker father. “In the past, when a young woman tried on a hat and looked at herself in the mirror, she usually laughed. Now they try them on seriously ... and they wear them straight out the door.”


King Salman bin Abdulaziz Royal Reserve Highlights Two Distinctive Native Shrubs

The King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Royal Natural Reserve (SPA).
The King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Royal Natural Reserve (SPA).
TT

King Salman bin Abdulaziz Royal Reserve Highlights Two Distinctive Native Shrubs

The King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Royal Natural Reserve (SPA).
The King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Royal Natural Reserve (SPA).

King Salman bin Abdulaziz Royal Reserve is distinguished by its unique natural plant diversity and its captivating natural features, highlighted by distinctive plants that add exceptional beauty to its various environments. Among the most prominent plant features found across most areas of the reserve are Al-Rmath (Haloxylon salicornicum) and Al-Qaisum (white wormwood).

Al-Rmath is a perennial shrub in the family Amaranthaceae and is widespread throughout most of the reserve.

According to SPA, it can reach a height of 120 centimeters and is characterized by bluish-green stems that turn gray with age, as well as scale-like leaves and tiny yellow flowers.

Al-Qaisum is also a perennial aromatic shrub belonging to the Asteraceae family. It grows in clay flats, valleys, ravines, and most areas of the reserve.

It can reach a height of 60 centimeters and is distinguished by its white stems, oval to oblong leaves with serrated edges, and small yellow flowers.


Lebanon Arrests ‘Doctor Food’ over Drug-laced Treats

Georges Dib, known on TikTok as "Doctor Food." Photo: Social media
Georges Dib, known on TikTok as "Doctor Food." Photo: Social media
TT

Lebanon Arrests ‘Doctor Food’ over Drug-laced Treats

Georges Dib, known on TikTok as "Doctor Food." Photo: Social media
Georges Dib, known on TikTok as "Doctor Food." Photo: Social media

Lebanon on Sunday arrested an online influencer known for his videos about food who had been handed a life sentence in absentia for drug trafficking, a judicial source told AFP.

Georges Dib, known on TikTok as "Doctor Food" and followed by more than eight million accounts, was apprehended at his home in the far north governorate of Akkar, the source said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Dib, who also owns a confectionery business, would be taken to a detention center in Mount Lebanon, where he would face a new trial on further drug trafficking charges, the source added.

Two years ago, the Lebanese judiciary issued a warrant for Dib, accusing him of "manufacturing narcotics, trafficking and smuggling them abroad,” according to Lebanon's state-run National News Agency (NNA).

The NNA said at the time that authorities had seized confectionery and other food products at Beirut's international airport that contained narcotics and were manufactured in factories owned by Dib.

The products were to be shipped to a Gulf country, the news agency reported.

Despite an arrest warrant and conviction against him, Dib continued to post videos on TikTok.

Last month, after news of his conviction was made public, he denied the accusations in one of his videos, urging followers not to listen to what was being said about him.

Dib rose to prominence on social media posting content about cooking and daily life with his ex-wife, known as Shorouk, a Canadian of Palestinian origin who has more than 15 million followers.

They separated after she accused him of abuse. On Saturday night, she held a "divorce party" at a seaside resort in Lebanon attended by thousands of her followers.