Iran Exerts More Efforts to Release Frozen Assets

Iranian Vice President Mohammad Mokhber responds to journalists on the sidelines of the government meeting (IRNA)
Iranian Vice President Mohammad Mokhber responds to journalists on the sidelines of the government meeting (IRNA)
TT

Iran Exerts More Efforts to Release Frozen Assets

Iranian Vice President Mohammad Mokhber responds to journalists on the sidelines of the government meeting (IRNA)
Iranian Vice President Mohammad Mokhber responds to journalists on the sidelines of the government meeting (IRNA)

Iran's assets frozen by US sanctions have been released in some countries, and Tehran is trying to access the rest, announced First Vice President Mohammed Mokhber.

Mokhber told reporters that preparations had been made to secure the release of the blocked assets in other countries without naming them or providing details.

He highlighted the administration's efforts to contain inflation in the country, despite the Ukrainian war and the widespread protests that erupted after the death of Kurdish Mahsa Amini during police custody.

The annual inflation in the last Iranian year, which ended on March 20, dropped from 59 percent in August 2021 to 46 percent, said Mokhber.

- US denies interim agreement

US and Iran denied press reports that they had reached an interim agreement, including releasing the frozen assets in exchange for Iranian nuclear concessions and releasing Iranian-US detainees.

US State Department spokesman Matthew Miller said in a press conference that the reports of an interim deal are "completely false."

Asked about negotiations with Iran, Miller asserted that the US administration always had the "ability" to deliver messages to Iran when it's in Washington's interests to do so.

He reiterated that the administration is committed to ensuring that Iran never obtains a nuclear weapon, recalling that "diplomacy is the best means to accomplish that."

Miller confirmed that Iran could only access its funds held in accounts for Iraq for humanitarian and other non-sanctionable transactions.

"The United States has approved similar transactions on an ongoing basis, consistent with US law and in full coordination with the Government of Iraq."

On Monday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said during a press conference that his country might conclude an imminent agreement for exchanging prisoners, noting that there is no such thing as negotiations for an interim agreement or new arrangements to replace the nuclear deal.

The reports said Iran's frozen assets in South Korea, Iraq, and the International Monetary Fund are expected to be released.

Last week, Iraq agreed to pay Iran about $2.76 billion in gas and electricity debt after receiving a sanctions waiver from the US.

Iraqi Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ahmed al-Sahhaf said in a brief statement that Foreign Minister Fuad Hussein had made progress "regarding financial dues between Iraq and Iran during his discussion with his American counterpart in Riyadh" when asked about the funds.

Hussein met the US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on the sidelines of the Riyadh Conference last Thursday.

- Banking discussions in Qatar

Meanwhile, the official IRNA news agency reported that the governor of the Central Bank of Iran, Mohammad Reza Farzin, met his Qatari counterpart in Doha.

The Iranian ambassador to Qatar, Hamid Dehghani, tweeted that the policy of strengthening relations with neighboring countries requires developing monetary and banking cooperation.

Qatar News Agency (QNA) stated that Farzin held talks with the Governor of Qatar Central Bank (QCB), Sheikh Bandar bin Mohammed bin Saoud Al-Thani and discussed the bilateral relations between the two countries in the financial and banking fields.

The Central Bank of Iran stated that Farzin's visit to Doha comes within the government's regional diplomacy framework to boost monetary, banking, and economic cooperation.

The governor will talk with banking officials in Qatar to strengthen bilateral and multilateral relations.

Aside from the US sanctions preventing Iran from dealing in dollars and severing its banks' connection to the SWIFT network, Iranian banks face international restrictions.

Paris-based Financial Action Taskforce (FATF) placed Iran on its blacklist after it failed to comply with international anti-terrorism financing norms.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.