Iran Ups Diplomacy to Ease Isolation

Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian (R) shakes hands with his Saudi counterpart Faisal bin Farhan (L) in Tehran (Atta KENARE / AFP/File)
Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian (R) shakes hands with his Saudi counterpart Faisal bin Farhan (L) in Tehran (Atta KENARE / AFP/File)
TT
20

Iran Ups Diplomacy to Ease Isolation

Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian (R) shakes hands with his Saudi counterpart Faisal bin Farhan (L) in Tehran (Atta KENARE / AFP/File)
Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian (R) shakes hands with his Saudi counterpart Faisal bin Farhan (L) in Tehran (Atta KENARE / AFP/File)

Since the beginning of 2023, Iran has moved very actively in the diplomatic arena, seeking to break its isolation, especially in the Middle East region, while strengthening its ties with China and Russia, through reconciliation with a number of neighboring countries and reducing tension with Western states.

However, doubts remain over Tehran’s possibility to reach an agreement with Washington, according to an analysis published by AFP on Wednesday.

Sanam Vakil, director of Chatham House’s Middle East and North Africa program, was quoted by the news agency as saying that Tehran was seeking to show it can overcome its adversaries.

Iran is “looking to show that despite sanctions and domestic protests it continues to weather the storm by bolstering stronger international economic and foreign ties”, she said.

“These links... aim to increase economic connectivity and boost internal morale.”

Recently, Tehran and Washington have relied on extreme secrecy about the progress of indirect talks between them under the auspices of the Sultanate of Oman, the traditional mediator between the two countries that do exchange diplomatic relations.

At stake are “agreements focused on easing tensions through the de-escalation of Iran’s nuclear program and release of US prisoners” held in Iran, said Diako Hosseini, a Tehran-based foreign policy analyst, as quoted by AFP.

In the long term, Tehran hopes that these small diplomatic steps will allow to revive the economy battered by Western sanctions and record inflation that weighs on the purchasing power of the 85 million Iranians.

According to the AFP analysis, the countries of the region will look favorably at the signs of detente between the Iranians and the Americans, given their keenness to calm the tensions resulting from the conflicts in Yemen and Syria.

This desire constitutes one of the main motives for the normalization of relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia, which took shape after a seven-year rupture.

Since then, Iran has sought to cement or restore ties with other Arab countries including Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, the AFP report emphasized.

“New World Order”

In parallel, a certain detente is emerging with European countries after months of tensions since nationwide protests erupted in Iran over the death in custody of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old Iranian Kurd, in September.

In recent weeks, Iran has released six Europeans it was holding and has held nuclear talks with Britain, France and Germany, the three European signatories to the 2015 nuclear deal.

However, Western countries have a new objection against Iran, represented by its support for Moscow in the war on Ukraine. These countries accuse Tehran of providing Moscow with drones and helping it build a factory to produce them, which Tehran denies.

Iran is also eyeing China, hoping to attract large Chinese investments, the level of which remains low, despite the many promises. For the first time in twenty years, in February, the Iranian president paid a visit to Beijing, where his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping, hailed the “solidarity” between the two countries.

Iran, which aspires to be one of the pillars of a “new world order”, is trying to expand its sphere of influence in Southeast Asia, Africa and Latin America, according to the AFP analysis.

The analyst Hosseini believes Iran “is turning to countries that are not considered in the western bloc... to show that the West's influence on Iran and its economy is not major”.



Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 3,085 as More Bodies Found

People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER
People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER
TT
20

Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Rises to 3,085 as More Bodies Found

People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER
People look at the collapsed Maha Myat Muni Pagoda following an earthquake in Mandalay, Myanmar, 28 March 2025 (issued 29 March 2025). EPA/STRINGER

The death toll from the massive earthquake that hit Myanmar nearly a week ago rose Thursday to 3,085 as search and rescue teams found more bodies, the military-led government said, and humanitarian aid groups scrambled to provide survivors medical care and shelter.
In a short statement, the military said another 4,715 people have been injured and 341 are missing.
The epicenter of Friday's 7.7 magnitude earthquake was near Mandalay, Myanmar's second-largest city. It brought down thousands of buildings, buckled roads and destroyed bridges in multiple regions, The Associated Press said.
Local media reports of casualties have been much higher than the official figures and with telecommunications widely out and many places difficult to reach, it's thought the numbers could rise sharply as more details come in.
The World Health Organization said that according to its initial assessment, four hospitals and one health center had been completely destroyed while another 32 hospitals and 18 health centers had been partially damaged.
“With infrastructure compromised and patient numbers surging, access to health care has become nearly impossible in many of the worst-hit areas,” the UN said. “Thousands of people are in urgent need of trauma care, surgical interventions and treatment for disease outbreaks.”
A mobile hospital from India and a joint Russian-Belarusian hospital also were now operating in Mandalay.
With many left homeless by the earthquake, and many others staying away from their homes over fears ongoing aftershocks will bring them down, workers in Naypyitaw labored in the 40 degree Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) busily erected big tents in open fields to provide some shelter.
In Mandalay, local residents gave slices of watermelon to Chinese volunteers taking a break from the heat.
More than 1,550 international rescuers were operating alongside locals on Thursday, according to a statement from the military. Rescue supplies and equipment have been sent by 17 countries.
Myanmar’s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into a civil war.
The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, with more than 3 million people displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.
As concerns grew that ongoing fighting could hamper humanitarian aid efforts, the military declared a temporary ceasefire Wednesday, through April 22. The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule.
The military said it would still take “necessary” measures against those groups if they use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks.
Already on Thursday there were reports from local media in Kachin state in the north of Myanmar that military attacks continued in several areas, but they could not be independently confirmed.
Prior to the earthquake the military was battling the Kachin Independence Army group. The KIA on Wednesday also declared a ceasefire but reserved the right to defend itself. It was unclear how the reported fighting broke out.
The earthquake shook Kachin, but there have been no reports of damage there.
In Bangkok, where the quake brought down a skyscraper under construction, the search for survivors and bodies continued as Gov. Chadchart Sittipunt said a possible sound of life was detected in the rubble. By near day's end, however, nobody was found.
Twenty-two people were killed and 35 injured in the city, mostly by the collapse of the unfinished building.