Iran's Supreme Court Overturns 2 Death Sentences

Mohammad Ghobadlou at the court before the Judge (IRNA)
Mohammad Ghobadlou at the court before the Judge (IRNA)
TT

Iran's Supreme Court Overturns 2 Death Sentences

Mohammad Ghobadlou at the court before the Judge (IRNA)
Mohammad Ghobadlou at the court before the Judge (IRNA)

The Iranian judiciary overturned death sentences against two people who were arrested in connection with the protests last year after the death of the young woman, Mahsa Amini.

The court sentenced Mohammad Ghobadlou to death for "corruption on Earth" after a court found him guilty of "attacking police officers, one of them fatally," in a car-ramming incident during a demonstration.

Ghobadlou, 23, was sentenced in October, and his family appealed for clemency from the court because he has bipolar disorder.

The French Press Agency reported that the Supreme Court quashed the death sentence against Ghobadlou and referred his case to a new jurisdiction to deal with issues relating to his mental health.

The defense lawyer, Amir Raisian, said on Twitter that the verdict issued had been overturned, and the case will now be referred to the same branch to address matters related to his client's mental health and to give a new verdict.

In early February, Mezan Agency, affiliated with the Iranian judiciary, suspended the execution of Ghobadlou's death sentence pending an investigation into the case of the premeditated killing of a policeman.

Since late last year, the Iranian authorities have executed seven people for assaulting members of the security forces on the sidelines of the protests.

Human rights organizations confirm that seven people face a similar fate.

Another death sentence was overturned after the Court of Appeal registered a retrial for Abbas Deris, an Arab political prisoner arrested during the November 2019 protests in Mahshahr, southwestern Iran.

The government's sharp increase in fuel prices led to one of the biggest protests in the country.

Fereshteh Tabanian, Deris' lawyer, said that the Court of Appeal overturned the execution and ordered a retrial.

When the Iranian Revolutionary Court issued the death sentence against Deris and his brother, it accused them of "moharaba" and murdering a special unit officer.

The Oslo-based Human Rights Organization in Iran said that Deris' wife suffered a stroke and tragically passed away.

His mother and three children recently shared public pleas to help save his life.

According to human rights organizations, the death toll in Jarahi, northern Mahshahr, ranged from 40 to 100.

Mahmoud Vaezi, chief of staff of the Iranian president, confirmed that there had been many deaths in the town but accused protesters of shooting.

- Pressuring celebrities and women

Recently, the authorities announced several security and judicial measures in anticipation of renewed protests, with the approaching first anniversary of Amini's death and the outbreak of demonstrations posing the biggest challenge to the authorities in 43 years.

The Iran Organization for Human Rights, based in Washington, said that the authorities referred the case of rapper Saman Yasin to a mental hospital.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International reported Wednesday that Iranian authorities are doubling down on their oppressive methods of policing and severely oppressing Iranian women and girls for defying degrading compulsory veiling laws.

The protests opened a discussion about dress codes, especially the compulsory veil laws, with some political and social groups calling for easing restrictions.

Officials alluded to withdrawing morality police patrols from the streets amid an increase in unveiled women.

Amnesty International reported that since April, the authorities have waged an intensified nationwide crackdown on women and girls who choose not to wear headscarves publicly.

"The authorities are doubling down their oppressive methods of policing and punishing women and girls to quell widespread defiance of degrading and discriminatory compulsory veiling laws," said the organization.

During the protests, many women took off their headscarves in the street and burned them or threw them on the ground.

After the outbreak of protests, women were seen in the streets of Tehran and other cities without a scarf.

However, the police car and foot patrols enforcing compulsory veiling returned across the country, and reports claimed that legal action would be taken against women and girls "who insist on breaking the norms" and threatening that they would be "referred to the judiciary.”

Amnesty warned of an increasingly severe crackdown on a national scale, noting that more than a million women have received SMS warnings that their vehicles will be confiscated if they are found traveling in a car while unveiled.

Amnesty's Sec-Gen Agnes Callamard asserted that the international community must not stand idly by as the Iranian authorities intensify their oppression of women and girls.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.