US ‘Deterrence’ Forces Approach ‘Hormuz’ Following Iran's Threats

In this image obtained from the US Central Command, US Air Force A-10s fly over the USS McFaul during operations in the Gulf, on August 15, 2023. (Photo by Handout / US Central Command (CENTCOM) / AFP)
In this image obtained from the US Central Command, US Air Force A-10s fly over the USS McFaul during operations in the Gulf, on August 15, 2023. (Photo by Handout / US Central Command (CENTCOM) / AFP)
TT

US ‘Deterrence’ Forces Approach ‘Hormuz’ Following Iran's Threats

In this image obtained from the US Central Command, US Air Force A-10s fly over the USS McFaul during operations in the Gulf, on August 15, 2023. (Photo by Handout / US Central Command (CENTCOM) / AFP)
In this image obtained from the US Central Command, US Air Force A-10s fly over the USS McFaul during operations in the Gulf, on August 15, 2023. (Photo by Handout / US Central Command (CENTCOM) / AFP)

The United States is boosting its military presence in Gulf waters to deter Iran's increasing threats to ships and oil tankers, in a step aimed at enhancing Washington’s role in protecting the strategic region.

After arriving earlier this week in the Gulf of Oman, the USS Bataan and the USS Carter approached the Strait of Hormuz, boarding about 3,000 US soldiers to join the US bases in the Gulf.

US-led maritime forces are warning ships against approaching Iranian waters.

The moves follow a spate of seizure and attempted seizure of ships in and around the Strait of Hormuz, the gateway to the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea that holds a fifth of world oil output.

The spokesman for the US Navy's Fifth Fleet, Commander Tim Hawkins, said that there is a “heightened threat and risk to regional mariners in terms of seizures” by Iran in the strait.

"Right now, our focus is on ... increasing our presence in and near the Strait of Hormuz to ensure security and stability in a critical waterway," Hawkins told AFP at the US naval base in Bahrain.

The attacks on tankers came during troubled relations between Washington and its Gulf allies, who have long relied on US protection for their oil assets and chafed at a perceived military drawdown.

According to the US military, Iran has seized or attempted to take nearly 20 ships in the region in the past two years.

Most recently, Washington said its forces prevented two Iranian attempts to seize commercial tankers in international waters off Oman on July 5.

Iran seized two tankers within a week in regional waters in April and May.

Last Friday, the US-led naval coalition in the Gulf region warned ships sailing in the Strait of Hormuz to “transit as far away” from Iran’s waters as possible to avoid being detained.

A few days earlier, Washington announced the arrival of more than 3,000 US Marines and sailors to the Middle East on board warships as part of a plan to boost the military presence in the region, which it confirmed aims to deter Iran from seizing ships and oil tankers.

According to Hawkins, the military build-up provides Washington with "more robust forces where needed," noting that the new elements have joined more than 30,000 US soldiers stationed in various regions of the Middle East.

Although the US previously sent troop reinforcements to the Gulf, including in 2019, as a response to Iran tensions, Washington is now considering unprecedented measures.

In early August, a US official said in press statements that his country was preparing to place Marines and Navy personnel on board commercial tankers crossing the Gulf as part of an additional defense plan.

"We have sailors; we have Marines trained here in the region to carry out whatever mission they are tasked with," Hawkins said.

The military build-up coincides with a deal that took place a few days ago between the administration of President Joe Biden and the Iranian leadership regarding the exchange of prisoners and the liberation of Iranian funds that were frozen in South Korea under US sanctions.

Experts and diplomats said the agreement could help boost efforts to address concerns, but tensions could remain.

The Iranian news agency, IRNA, quoted the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corp (IRGC) spokesman, Ramazan Sharif, as saying last week that his country “can reciprocate any vicious act by the US, such as seizing ships.”

On August 2, the IRGC conducted maneuvers on the occupied Emirati island of Abu Musa, including training in deploying combat forces and operationalizing and equipping new IRGC boats with 600km-range missiles.

The maneuvers came amid diplomatic tension between Tehran and Moscow after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his counterparts in the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) welcomed an Emirati initiative to reach a peaceful solution to the issue of the three occupied islands through bilateral negotiations or the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

The UAE and Tehran claim the islands Abu Musa and Greater and Lesser Tunb, but Iran has held them since 1971.

The spokesman for the Iranian Armed Forces, Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi, told the Tasnim news that his country does not “pull any punches with anyone regarding the three islands, and these islands belong to Iran.”

He accused Western countries of seeking to raise the issue to justify their presence in the region, saying they want to prove their presence to be legitimate under certain pretexts and stay in the Gulf, the Sea of ​​Oman, and regional waters of West Asia.

“Your presence is illegal, and you must leave the region,” he asserted.

- Bolstering alliances

Dina Arakji, an associate analyst at Control Risks consultancy, called the increased US presence a "shift in posture."

"The move by the US likely aims to reassure Gulf Arab states that Washington remains committed to the region's security," Arakji said.

"Increased Iranian hostility and Chinese engagement with the region has caught Washington's attention," she added, noting the US "now aims to bolster its alliances."

Despite the prisoner deal earlier this month, separate attempts to revive a landmark 2015 nuclear pact with Tehran have effectively collapsed.

"With no sign of a diplomatic agreement between the US and Iran, the only alternative is more effective deterrence," said Torbjorn Soltvedt of the risk intelligence firm Verisk Maplecroft.

But "the perception that the US isn't doing enough to deter Iranian attacks against international shipping will persist" as long as incidents continue.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.