US Secretary of State: Iran is not Interested in Being Responsible

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)
TT

US Secretary of State: Iran is not Interested in Being Responsible

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken during a press conference on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly (Reuters)

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said there is no "evidence of an Iran that is interested in actually being a responsible actor."

"Just this past week we saw them remove IAEA inspectors who are critical to doing the work at the IAEA to - as best you can - ensure that Iran is consistent with whatever obligations it has," he said.

"That is not evidence of an Iran that is interested in actually being a responsible actor."

Iran barred multiple International Atomic Energy (IAEA) inspectors assigned to the country.

Blinken clarified on Saturday that Iran's nuclear activities significantly destabilize the region and pose threats to countries in the area and beyond.

The Secretary said that the Biden administration is determined to prevent Iran from ever acquiring a nuclear weapon, believing diplomacy is the most effective route.

"We tried to work indirectly with Iran as well as with European partners and even Russia and China to see if we can get a return to compliance with the Iran nuclear deal ... But Iran couldn't or wouldn't do that," Blinken told reporters.

Later, the European Union's foreign coordinator, Enrique Mora, announced that he met with Iran, Europe, and the US officials regarding the negotiations that have been at an impasse since last year.

Mora wrote on his "X" account: “As customary, JCPOA was in the margins of the UN General Assembly 2023 week. I met Bagheri Kani, US Envoy in Iran, and European diplomats."

He referred to the EU policy that can only be reached through a comprehensive deal on concrete, fully verifiable nuclear limitations on Iran's nuclear program.

The Spanish diplomat added that substantial IAEA monitoring, comprehensive sanctions lifting, and provisions on nuclear cooperation allow Iran to have a solid, transparent atomic industry, including research, has been fully vindicated.

"You can call it JCPOA or the best deal ever, but there's no alternative."

Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Minister, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian, told official Iranian television on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York that the revival of the 2015 nuclear deal will be "within reach" if the US stops its "contradictory behaviors."

Amir-Abdollahian noted that he met with members of a US think tank and several former US officials in New York to explicitly discuss bilateral issues, one of which was Washington's "wrong" approach toward Iran and the JCPOA.

The minister met Saturday his Swedish counterpart, Tobias Billstrom, on the sidelines of the General Assembly, marking their first official encounter following prolonged diplomatic tensions between Stockholm and Tehran.

Relations between Iran and Sweden are tense after Tehran detained Swedish citizens in Iran and executed one of them.

Weeks before the General Assembly, news leaked of the detention of a Swedish diplomat, who has been working for the European Union, held in Tehran for over 500 days.

Tensions escalated as Tehran intensified its criticisms of Sweden following an incident where an extremist Iraqi immigrant burned a copy of the Quran.

Amir-Abdollahian also discussed enhancing bilateral relations with his South Korean counterpart, Chung Eui-yong, mainly after Seoul transferred frozen Iranian assets under the US-Iran prisoner exchange deal conducted last week.

The South Korean foreign ministry announced that the two diplomats agreed to push bilateral relations to broader horizons through high-level communications.

Both ministers acknowledged the smooth execution of the recent transfer of Tehran's frozen funds in Seoul to a third country.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.