Iran Explores Japanese Mediation for Nuclear Talks Resumption

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)
TT

Iran Explores Japanese Mediation for Nuclear Talks Resumption

Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian speaks to the press in New York. (Iranian Presidency)

Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian announced that Japan has proposed an initiative to revive a stalled nuclear deal struck in 2015 with Iran and six major powers, including the US.

In a statement to the Japanese news agency Kyodo, Abdollahian stated that Japan's proposal aligns with "Iran's interests" and would be viewed positively by Tehran.

He stated, "We support the constructive role of Japan in reviving the nuclear deal," accusing the US, UK, France, and Germany of having "excessive demands" that delayed the talk's progress.

The FM also attributed the delay to "interference" in Iran's domestic issues.

Upon his return from New York on Tuesday, Abdollahian had earlier informed Iran's official news agency, IRNA, that Oman's Sultan Haitham bin Tariq is attempting to revive the nuclear agreement.

However, he emphasized that Oman's proposed initiative is a means to expedite and bring all parties back to their commitments without constituting a new plan or text.

The FM was in New York to attend the UN General Assembly.

Meanwhile, Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) commander, Hossein Salami, warned against trusting "enemies," stating that the enemies had flawed perceptions and miscalculations, leading to their defeat.

Salami took pride in severing diplomatic ties with the US and detaining diplomats for 444 days following the seizure of the US embassy by radical students in 1979.

Meanwhile, the US refused a request by Iran's Foreign Minister to visit Washington last week, pointing to concerns about Tehran's record, including past detentions of US citizens.

During a daily press briefing on Monday, State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said Abdollahian sought to travel to visit Iran's consular interest section following the General Assembly.

"They did make that request, and it was denied by the State Department," Miller told reporters.

"We do have an obligation to allow Iranian officials and other officials of foreign governments to travel to New York for UN business. But we do not have an obligation to allow them to travel to Washington DC," he said.

"Given Iran's wrongful detention of US citizens, given Iran's state sponsorship of terrorism, we did not believe it was appropriate or necessary in this instance to grant that request."

Meanwhile, Iran's Foreign Ministry denied reports that Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has given the green light for negotiators to carry out direct nuclear talks with the US.

A website affiliated with Iranian expatriate pressure groups and linked to the previous government led by Hassan Rouhani first reported the news.

The Ministry declared that the fabricated news holds no value, indicating such reports aim at political propaganda.

‘Sunset clause’

Iranian officials issued multiple statements about their readiness to engage in a new round of nuclear negotiations as the date of the "sunset clause" approaches nearing Oct. 18.

Months of diplomacy between Washington and Tehran resulted in a prisoner exchange deal that included releasing $6 billion of frozen Iranian assets.

Western media outlets reported unofficial arrangements to de-escalate tensions between both sides, which included a halt to attacks on US forces in the region, slowing Iran's uranium enrichment close to weapons-grade levels, and halting the shipment of drones to Russia.

Indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran began in April 2021 to restore the nuclear agreement, but the talks stalled for five months during Iran's presidential elections.

Iran engaged in a new round of negotiations after Ebrahim Raisi won, but these talks broke down in March 2022, weeks after the start of the Russia-Ukraine war.

The European Union's foreign policy chief proposed a draft for concluding the talks in September last year, but his efforts were unsuccessful.

Among Tehran's persistent demands is the closure of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) investigation into two covert sites.

The UN agency continues to press Iran for credible explanations regarding these activities.

IAEA Director-General Rafael Grossi recently criticized the lack of progress in reaching an understanding with Iran regarding those sites.

The head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Mohammad Eslami, called for the swift closure of the investigation, accusing the IAEA of "politicizing" its assessment.

Eslami and Grossi later held consultations on outstanding issues between the two parties, particularly following Tehran's recent decision to revoke the permits of IAEA inspectors.

Raisi attributed the revocation to "security considerations" concerning three inspectors, denying that his country's move was an attempt to expel international inspectors.

Iran's action seemed to respond to the European countries' decision to extend sanctions on Iran's missile and drone programs, which were set to expire next month under the nuclear agreement.

On Sept. 19, the US Treasury Department imposed sanctions on entities in Iran, Russia, Türkiye, and China due to Iran's drone program.

Treasury Under Secretary of Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Brian Nelson stated that Iran's continued, deliberate proliferation of its UAVs enables Russia, Tehran’s proxies in the Middle East, and other destabilizing actors to undermine global stability.

On Monday, the Biden administration imposed new trade restrictions on 11 Chinese and five Russian companies, accusing some of supplying components to make drones for Russia's war effort in Ukraine.

In Tehran, the IRGC commander of the missile unit, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, stated that many countries are adopting Iran's approach to drones.

He added that his country has "surpassed regional powers" in drone production, according to the Tasnim News Agency.



Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
TT

Iranians Chant Slogans Against Supreme Leader at Memorials for Slain Protesters

An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)
An Iranian man holds the Iranian national flag during a memorial ceremony for those killed in anti-government protests earlier last month, at the Mosalla mosque in Tehran, Iran, 17 February 2026. (EPA)

Iranians shouted slogans against Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday as they gathered to commemorate protesters killed in a crackdown on nationwide demonstrations that rights groups said left thousands dead, according to videos verified by AFP.

The country's clerical authorities also staged a commemoration in the capital Tehran to mark the 40th day since the deaths at the peak of the protests on January 8 and 9.

Officials acknowledge more than 3,000 people died during the unrest, but attribute the violence to "terrorist acts", while rights groups say many more thousands of people were killed, shot dead by security forces in a violent crackdown.

The protests, sparked by anger over the rising cost of living before exploding in size and anti-government fervor, subsided after the crackdown, but in recent days Iranians have chanted slogans from the relative safety of homes and rooftops at night.

On Tuesday, videos verified by AFP showed crowds gathering at memorials for some of those killed again shouting slogans against the theocratic government in place since the 1979 revolution.

In videos geolocated by AFP shared on social media, a crowd in Abadan in western Iran holds up flowers and commemorative photos of a young man as they shout "death to Khamenei" and "long live the shah", in support of the ousted monarchy.

Another video from the same city shows people running in panic from the sounds of shots, though it wasn't immediately clear if they were from live fire.

In the northeastern city of Mashhad a crowd in the street chanted, "One person killed, thousands have his back", another verified video showed.

Gatherings also took place in other parts of the country, according to videos shared by rights groups.

- Official commemorations -

At the government-organized memorial in Tehran crowds carried Iranian flags and portraits of those killed as nationalist songs played and chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel" echoed through the Khomeini Grand Mosalla mosque.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian attended a similar event at the Imam Reza shrine in Mashhad.

Authorities have accused sworn enemies the United States and Israel of fueling "foreign-instigated riots", saying they hijacked peaceful protests with killings and vandalism.

Senior officials, including First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref and Revolutionary Guards commander Esmail Qaani, attended the ceremony.

"Those who supported rioters and terrorists are criminals and will face the consequences," Qaani said, according to Tasnim news agency.

International organizations have said evidence shows Iranian security forces targeted protesters with live fire under the cover of an internet blackout.

The US-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) has recorded more than 7,000 killings in the crackdown, the vast majority protesters, though rights groups warn the toll is likely far higher.

More than 53,500 people have been arrested in the ongoing crackdown, HRANA added, with rights groups warning protesters could face execution.

Tuesday's gatherings coincided with a second round of nuclear negotiations between Iran and the United States in Geneva, amid heightened tensions after Washington deployed an aircraft carrier group to the Middle East following Iran's crackdown on the protests.


Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Independent UN Body Condemns ‘Vicious Attacks’ on UN Expert on Palestinian Rights

United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)
United Nations (UN) Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories Francesca Albanese looks on at the end of a press conference on the human rights situation in Gaza in Geneva on September 15, 2025. (AFP)

An ‌independent United Nations body on Tuesday condemned what it described as vicious attacks based on disinformation by several European ministers against the organization's special rapporteur for Palestine, Francesca Albanese.

In the past week several European countries, including Germany, France and Italy, called for Albanese’s resignation over her alleged criticism of Israel. Albanese, an Italian lawyer, denies making the remarks.

On Friday, the Czech Republic's Foreign Minister Petr Macinka quoted Albanese on X as having called Israel a "common enemy of humanity", and he ‌also called for ‌her resignation.

A transcript of Albanese's remarks ‌made ⁠in Doha on ⁠February 7 seen by Reuters did not characterize Israel in this way, although she has consistently criticized the country in the past over the Gaza conflict.

The UN Coordination Committee - a body of six independent experts which coordinates and facilitates the work of Special Rapporteurs - accused European ministers of relying on "manufactured ⁠facts".

"Instead of demanding Ms. Albanese's resignation ‌for performing her mandate...these government representatives ‌should join forces to hold accountable, including before the International Criminal Court, ‌leaders and officials accused of committing war crimes and ‌crimes against humanity in Gaza," the Committee said.

It said the pressure exerted on Albanese was part of an increasing trend of politically motivated and malicious attacks against independent human rights experts, UN officials ‌and judges of international courts.

US President Donald Trump's administration imposed sanctions on Albanese after she wrote ⁠letters ⁠to US companies accusing them of contributing to gross human rights violations by Israel in Gaza and the West Bank.

UN experts are commissioned by the Geneva-based Human Rights Council to monitor and document specific human rights crises but are independent of the organization itself.

There is no precedent for removing a special rapporteur during their term, although diplomats said that states on the 47-member council could in theory propose a motion to do so.

However, they said strong support for Palestinian rights within the body means that such a motion was unlikely to pass.


US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
TT

US Plans to Deploy More Missile Launchers to the Philippines Despite China’s Alarm 

A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)
A US M142 High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) fires a missile during a Combined Joint Littoral Live Fire Exercise at the joint military exercise called "Balikatan", Tagalog for shoulder-to-shoulder in a Naval station in Zambales province, northern Philippines on Wednesday, April 26, 2023. (AP)

The United States plans to deploy more high-tech missile systems to the Philippines to help deter aggression in the South China Sea, where the treaty allies on Tuesday condemned what they called China’s "illegal, coercive, aggressive, and deceptive activities."

Beijing has repeatedly expressed alarm over the installation in the northern Philippines of a US mid-range missile system called the Typhon in 2024 and of an anti-ship missile launcher last year. It said the US weapons were aimed at containing China’s rise and warned that these were a threat to regional stability.

China has asked the Philippines to withdraw the missile launchers from its territory, but officials led by President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. have rejected the demand.

US and Philippine officials held annual talks Monday in Manila on broadening security, political and economic engagements and boosting collaboration with regional security allies.

The US and the Philippines outlined in a joint statement Tuesday specific defense and security plans for this year, including joint military exercises, Washington's support to help modernize the Philippine military and efforts "to increase deployments of US cutting-edge missile and unmanned systems to the Philippines."

The longtime allies "underscored their support for preserving freedom of navigation and overflight, unimpeded lawful commerce and other lawful uses of the sea for all nations," the statement said.

"Both sides condemned China’s illegal, coercive, aggressive and deceptive activities in the South China Sea, recognizing their adverse effects on regional peace and stability and the economies of the Indo-Pacific and beyond," it added.

Confrontations between Chinese and Philippine coast guard forces have spiked in the disputed waters in recent years. Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan are also involved in the territorial standoffs.

Neither side elaborated on the planned missile deployments but Philippine ambassador to Washington, Jose Manuel Romualdez, who took part in Monday’s talks, said US and Filipino defense officials discussed the possible deployment this year of "upgraded" types of US missile launchers that the Philippines may eventually decide to purchase.

"It’s a kind of system that’s really very sophisticated and will be deployed here in the hope that, down the road, we will be able to get our own," Romualdez told The Associated Press.

The Typhon missile system that the US Army deployed to the main northern Philippine region of Luzon in April 2024 and an anti-missile launcher called the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System that was deployed in April last year also to Luzon have remained in the Philippines, Romualdez said.

During joint drills, US forces have exhibited the missile systems to batches of Filipino forces to familiarize them with the weapons’ capabilities and usage, military officials said.

Romualdez said the US missile deployments to the Philippines did not aim to antagonize any country.

"It’s purely for deterrence," he said. "Every time the Chinese show any kind of aggression, it only strengthens our resolve to have these types."

The Typhon missile launchers, a land-based weapon, can fire the Standard Missile-6 and the Tomahawk Land Attack Missile. Tomahawk missiles can travel over 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers), which places China within their target range, from the northern Philippine region of Luzon.

Last year, the US Marines deployed the anti-ship missile launcher, the Navy Marine Expeditionary Ship Interdiction System, to Batan island in the northernmost Philippine province of Batanes, which faces the Bashi Channel just south of Taiwan.

The sea passage is a critical trade and military route that the US and Chinese militaries have tried to gain strategic control of.