EU Maintains Sanctions against Iran's Ballistic Missiles

An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)
An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)
TT

EU Maintains Sanctions against Iran's Ballistic Missiles

An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)
An Iranian "Sejjil" surface-to-surface missile in front of the Iranian Parliament (AFP)

European Union member states maintained restrictive measures against Iran under the non-proliferation sanctions regime after a nuclear agreement Transition Day.

The EU statement said the Council's legal acts to maintain the designations that the UN had initially imposed for individuals and entities involved in nuclear or ballistic missile activities or affiliated to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)."

"The Council also agreed to maintain sectoral and individual measures, existing under the EU's sanctions regime, notably those related to Iran nuclear proliferation, as well as arms and missile embargoes."

Security Council Resolution 2231 includes a timetable for easing restrictions on Iran's nuclear activities and weapons if it fulfills its obligations in the nuclear agreement.

Earlier, the EU foreign policy chief, Josep Borrell, announced he received a letter from the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and the UK (E3) informing him about an issue concerning the implementation of Iran's commitments under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPoA).

The Foreign Ministers stated that Iran has been in non-compliance since 2019 and considered that this has not been resolved through the JCPoA's Dispute Resolution Mechanism (DRM).

They expressed their intention not to take the steps regarding lifting further sanctions on JCPoA Transition Day on October 18, 2023.

Borrell reported that the officials reiterated their determination to find a diplomatic solution in the framework of the JCPOA.

- Long path

Last month, Borrell said that he received a report from the European trio that they were concerned about Iran not fulfilling its nuclear obligations and that it did not intend to take any step on Transition Day.

The E3 blamed Iran for missing the opportunity twice to revive the nuclear agreement last year.

Many parties, including Russia, rule out returning to the nuclear agreement before next year's US presidential elections.

Western sources said that the Biden administration wanted to reach a formula that would deter Iran from developing nuclear weapons within a limited understanding granting it some exemptions to access oil markets.

It is unclear whether Iran will stop enriching uranium to levels close to nuclear weapons.

The "Sunset Clause" date was the focus of discussions between Iran and the EU.

Last June, diplomatic sources revealed that Borrell's Deputy Secretary General, Enrique Mora, informed Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Ali Bagheri-Kani during their meeting in Doha that Europe plans to maintain the missile sanctions.

In July, Tehran waved a serious response to any European move to maintain sanctions that extend to its ballistic missile program.

Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani said at the time that Iran reserves the right to respond to any irresponsible action in a timely manner.

European diplomatic sources cited three reasons for keeping the sanctions: Russia's use of Iranian drones against Ukraine, the possibility Iran might transfer ballistic missiles to Russia, and depriving Iran of the nuclear deal's benefits given Tehran has violated the accord, albeit only after the United States did so first.

Resolution 2231 includes provisions calling on Iran not to take steps to design ballistic missiles that can carry nuclear weapons or that could later be developed to carry a nuclear weapon.

However, Iran did not adhere to the restrictions, maintaining activities that raised concerns among Western countries about the possibility of using them to develop intercontinental missiles.

Maintaining EU sanctions would reflect the West's desire to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

Tehran increased uranium enrichment to 20 percent, then 60 percent at the Natanz uranium enrichment facility, and later at the underground Fordow facility.

It suspended the Additional Protocol to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, closing additional surveillance cameras monitoring its sensitive activities.

- UN warning

The Director-General of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Rafael Grossi, warned on Monday that the world must not fail in efforts related to Iran, as happened with North Korea, which expelled agency inspectors and developed nuclear weapons.

According to Reuters, the IAEA has not had access to North Korea since Pyongyang expelled its inspectors in 2009, and it now observes its nuclear advances from afar, including through satellite imagery.

The IAEA has regular access to Iran's declared nuclear facilities.

But as a 2015 deal between Tehran and major powers has eroded over the past five years, extra monitoring equipment added under the agreement has been removed at Iran's behest, and the IAEA can no longer perform snap inspections at undeclared sites.

"We have to deploy every effort to prevent this problem [..] to prevent a country that has capabilities which could potentially lead to the development of nuclear weapons from doing it," he added.

The IAEA is the eyes and ears and presence of the international community in Iran, Grossi told an annual US State Department arms control conference, adding he was highly concerned about Iran's nuclear program.

"We saw the failure of this type in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, North Korea."

Despite repeated Western accusations, Tehran denies its desire to build a nuclear bomb.
However, Grossi recently expressed his regret at the declining interest of member states in this issue and the underestimation of its importance.

Last month, Iran's move responded to a call led by the US and three European allies at the IAEA's Board of Governors meeting last week for Tehran to cooperate immediately with the IAEA on issues including explaining uranium traces found at undeclared sites.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.