Iranian Judiciary Demands US Pays $50 Bn for Assassinating Soleimani

A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)
A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)
TT

Iranian Judiciary Demands US Pays $50 Bn for Assassinating Soleimani

A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)
A photo of the court hearings for Qasem Soleimani's compensation in Tehran last year (Mizan)

The Iranian judiciary demanded the US administration to pay compensation of about $50 billion for assassinating top Iranian military officer Qassem Soleimani in early 2020 in Iraq.
The ruling was issued three weeks before the fourth anniversary of the drone attack that killed Soleimani, along with Iraqi commander Abu Mahdi al-Mohandes, near Baghdad Airport on January 3, 2020, in a strike ordered by former President Donald Trump.
Back then, Trump confirmed that Washington succeeded in killing a "monster" who was planning a big attack" on US diplomats and military personnel.
Before his assassination, the chief of Iran's elite military Quds Force warned Trump not to take military action against Iran, saying if Washington started a war, Tehran would be the one to end it.
"We are near you, where you can't even imagine... Come. We are ready. If you begin the war, we will end the war," Soleimani said.
In response to the assassination, Tehran targeted two US bases in Iraq and repeated its demand for the withdrawal of US forces from the neighboring country.
The judiciary's Mizan agency reported that after 3,318 complaints made by citizens across the country, the 55th branch of the Legal Court for International Relations in Tehran ruled that the US administration and government officials should pay compensation and a fine for the damages amounting to $49.77 billion, Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported.
According to the website, the court convicted 42 US individuals and entities, including Trump and officials in his administration.
The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) did not comment on the judicial announcement. The Iranian judiciary previously issued an arrest warrant for Trump.
Last February, the commander of the IRGC Aerospace Force, Amir-Ali Hajizadeh, said that plans to assassinate Trump and his Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, in retaliation for Soleimani "remain a primary goal" for his forces.
Earlier this year, the Biden administration extended protection to Pompeo and his top Iran aide Brian Hook, adding that the threats to the former officials remain "serious and credible."
Meanwhile, Tehran accused Washington of "complicity in the crimes" of Israel in its war against the Hamas movement in the Gaza Strip.
In turn, the US said Iran, which supports Hamas, is behind the attacks launched by its affiliated groups on US forces in Iraq and Syria.
Soleimani died when he was sixty-two years old after a long career during which he rose through the IRGC ranks until he reached the leadership of the Quds Force in the late nineties.
He is credited with significantly expanding Iranian intelligence and military operations in the Middle East.
In late October, an Iranian court ordered the US government to pay $420 million in compensation to victims of an abortive 1980 operation to free hostages held at the US Embassy.
Shortly after the 1979 Iranian revolution toppled the Western-backed Shah, Iranian students stormed the embassy in Tehran and took more than 50 US hostages for 444 days.

The students called for the extradition of the deposed Shah, who was receiving medical care in the United States.
In April 1980, Washington attempted to free the hostages in the top-secret Operation Eagle Claw, which ended in disaster after running into sandstorms and mechanical problems.
Five months after the hostage crisis, Washington severed diplomatic relations and imposed an embargo on Tehran.
In 2016, the US Supreme Court ordered that Iranian assets frozen in the United States should be paid to victims of attacks that Washington blamed on Tehran, including the 1983 bombing of a Marine barracks in Beirut and a 1996 blast in Saudi Arabia.

 

 



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.