Cyberattack Targets Iran Parliament Websites

The Iranian Parliament website as it appears after the cyberattack
The Iranian Parliament website as it appears after the cyberattack
TT

Cyberattack Targets Iran Parliament Websites

The Iranian Parliament website as it appears after the cyberattack
The Iranian Parliament website as it appears after the cyberattack

A hacking group affiliated with the Iranian opposition Mojehadin-e-Khlaq Organization (MKO) seized documents and data from the Iranian parliament after hacking the servers of the official website in the latest cyberattack targeting public facilities.

Khane Mellat (ICANA.ir) news agency websites were also inaccessible and subject to a cyberattack.

A hacking group called "Uprising Till Overthrow" claimed credit for the cyberattack.

The group explained that it had accessed the websites of the Iranian parliament, the library, and the documentation and research center in the Iranian parliament, indicating that it had obtained information and documents.

During the first hours, the group published documents containing letters and salary records of 226 lawmakers, including a letter from the head of the Iranian Passive Defense Organization to the Speaker about the threats facing Iran's nuclear facilities.

The ILNA Labor Agency reported that hackers published pictures of the leaders of the Mujahideen-e-Khalq group on the Khane Mellat website.

The hacking of the Iranian parliament's website comes ten days before the legislative election scheduled for March 1.

The Public Relations Department of the Parliament confirmed that its websites had been subjected to electronic hacking and said in a statement that the technical team is investigating the disruption of the website and will announce the results later.

"The websites of the parliament and Khane Mellat (ICANA.ir) news agency have been hacked and become unavailable since this morning due to cyberattacks," the official IRNA news agency reported.

The statement said that the scale of the problem is under investigation by expert technical teams.

The statement referred to documents published moments after the site was hacked, saying the preliminary investigation of these images shows that some of these documents have been tampered with and cannot be verified.

Parliament suggested that the hackers obtained some documents during a "limited" hacking operation and "manipulated" them.

The statement cited the documents revealing the lawmakers' salaries, saying they include unrealistic final figures not found in parliament's documents.

Unpublished documents from the draft general budget included a copy of the passport of Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and correspondence with the office of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, the head of the Supreme National Security Council, Ali Akbar Ahmadian, and Chief of Staff Mohammad Bagheri.

The documents also included data from the protection team for the website, consisting of a rapid intervention force of the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) and a Basij unit.

In May last year, the group announced the hacking of 75 electronic servers from dozens of websites affiliated with the Foreign Ministry.

The group made available the data of many members of the Iranian diplomatic apparatus, including the data and pseudonyms.

The hackers published draft agreements and reports of phone calls conducted by former Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and the current Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian.

Last December 26, the group published a document of recommendations regarding a meeting on Yemen, the peace path, and the international sanctions committee.

The group disseminated, via its Telegram channel, an unofficial draft of 44 pages, including the negotiations that President Ebrahim Raisi conducted in Damascus with his Syrian counterpart, Bashar al-Assad, last May.

Iran classifies the Mujahideen-e-Khalq group as a terrorist organization, and it is one of the leftist groups that participated in the 1979 revolution but later rejected the Supreme Leadership and announced its defection from the regime.

Iran accused the group of receiving Israeli support in carrying out cyberattacks.

An Iranian cyberattack on government facilities in Albania, where a large MKO group resides, led to a diplomatic rupture between Tehran and Tirana in September 2022.

Albania, a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), thwarted a cyberattack, and as a result, the US imposed sanctions on the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence and the minister, Esmaeil Khatib.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.