Bagheri Says Iranian Elections Will Show ‘True Democracy’ to the World

A woman casts her vote during parliamentary elections at a polling station in Tehran (File photo: Reuters)
A woman casts her vote during parliamentary elections at a polling station in Tehran (File photo: Reuters)
TT

Bagheri Says Iranian Elections Will Show ‘True Democracy’ to the World

A woman casts her vote during parliamentary elections at a polling station in Tehran (File photo: Reuters)
A woman casts her vote during parliamentary elections at a polling station in Tehran (File photo: Reuters)

Ten days ahead of Iran's legislative elections, Iranian Chief of Staff General Mohammad Bagheri said on Tuesday that the upcoming polls in his country will showcase to the world the face of “true democracy.”
Electoral campaigns for the parliamentary elections kick off across Iran next Thursday in the absence of any signs showing that political forces were capable of increasing the people’s motivation to head to the polling stations.
Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei is among the Iranian officials who have appealed for voter turnout in the upcoming elections, the first since the September 2022 protests over the death of Mahsa Amini, who was arrested by Iranian authorities for improper hijab.
Amini died in custody, sparking nationwide demonstrations, but Iran blamed Western powers for fueling the protests.
Last week, candidates running for seats in the Assembly of Experts in charge of appointing the country's supreme leader, already began their election campaigns.
The 88-member assembly is tasked with electing, supervising and, if necessary, dismissing the supreme leader, who has the final say in all matters of state in Iran.
Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, now 85, has held the post since 1989.
The elections for the assembly, which are held every eight years, will take place on March 1 along with the parliamentary elections.
On two consecutive stages, the Guardian Council and the Interior Ministry has confirmed the approval of more than 15,000 candidates for Iran's upcoming parliamentary elections from nearly 45,000 people who filed paperwork seeking to run for polls.
Iran’s Guardian Council is responsible for vetting the candidates for any election. However, reformist and moderate parties criticized the council for disqualifying their main candidates.
On Tuesday, Bagheri said: “On March 1, we will show the world the face of true democracy.”
He described the parliamentary elections during the Shah's reign, before the 1979 revolution, as “a façade,” adding, “Today we, as citizens, decide who is entitled to join parliament and the Assembly of Experts.”
Meanwhile, Iranian Interior Minister Ahmad Vahidi said on Tuesday that 15,200 candidates or 75 percent of the total hopefuls seeking to run for polls, were qualified for the upcoming elections in the country.
He explained that all political currents and groups are represented in the elections, which he said, “constitute a precious opportunity for the Iranian people to determine their own fate.”
Former Iranian reformist president Mohammad Khatami, Prominent Iranian reformist politician Mostafa Tajzadeh, who is currently imprisoned at Tehran's notorious Evin Prison, and deputy head of the Reform Front, Mohsen Armin, had sharply criticized the course of the electoral process in their country.
The Reform Front had also criticized a statement published by 110 reform activists last week, describing them as a “minority,” as reported by a reformist channel on Telegram.
In the statement, which was widely republished by government media, the activists called for participation in the elections to “open a window” in the conservatives’ dominance of Parliament.

Deputy head of the Reform Front, Mohsen Armin warned of divisions among reformists, saying: “Participation in the elections does not end with any result that guarantees the public good.”
On Tuesday, former Iranian reformist president Mohammad Khatami told political activists that his country is “far from free and competitive elections.”
Earlier, the son of his ally, Mehdi Karroubi said that his father, who has been under house arrest since 2011, will remain silent regarding the upcoming elections.
From the Evin prison, Tajzadeh said he will abstain from voting in the forthcoming parliamentary and Assembly of Experts elections. He then lashed out at Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, saying he has “closed his eyes” to the “disastrous facts of Iran” and does not listen to the protests of millions of citizens.
Meanwhile, some parties of the reformist and moderate movement talk about supporting independent candidates to confront the conservative majority. Those are represented by Ali Motahari, the former deputy speaker of parliament and Ali Larijani’s son-in-law.
Motahari has obtained approval, four years after he was prevented from running in the parliamentary race.
On Tuesday, Assadullah Badamchian, Secretary General of the Islamic Coalition Party, the most prominent conservative current that includes Tehran bazaar merchants, said conservatives have several electoral lists in Tehran, which has a share of 30 seats in parliament.
In the 2019 presidential and local elections, turnout in Iran's capital had registered its lowest record. The figures were repeated in 2021 with between 24 and 26 percent of voters turnout.

 

 



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.