Washington Begins to Counter Iran’s Sanctions Evasion

(FILES) A cargo ship waits its turn to cross the Panama Canal in Panama City on March 02, 2024. (Photo by MARTIN BERNETTI / AFP)
(FILES) A cargo ship waits its turn to cross the Panama Canal in Panama City on March 02, 2024. (Photo by MARTIN BERNETTI / AFP)
TT

Washington Begins to Counter Iran’s Sanctions Evasion

(FILES) A cargo ship waits its turn to cross the Panama Canal in Panama City on March 02, 2024. (Photo by MARTIN BERNETTI / AFP)
(FILES) A cargo ship waits its turn to cross the Panama Canal in Panama City on March 02, 2024. (Photo by MARTIN BERNETTI / AFP)

The US took the first step to counter Iran's sanctions evasion by putting pressure on Panama to ban Iranian vessels sanctioned by Washington from using its flag.

During a trip to Panama on Wednesday, Abram Paley, Deputy Special Envoy in the US Office of the Special Envoy for Iran, said the measure aims to prevent ships from being used for illegal actions such as supporting groups designated as Iranian terrorist organizations with oil sales.

Paley said in a statement that the US is working to expand enforcement of the sanctions as part of a larger diplomatic outreach campaign.

“Iran and actors related to Iran are trying to evade sanctions here in Panama,” he said. “They’re trying to abuse Panama’s flag registry.”

In January 2023, Panama's maritime authority said it had withdrawn its flag from 136 ships linked to Iran's state oil company in the last four years.

According to the Authority, the country has registered 8,540 ships, some 16 percent of the global fleet.

The small Central American nation is the world leader in offering flags of convenience, which allow shipping companies to register their vessels in countries to which they have no link — for a fee and freedom from oversight.

Experts say that rogue ship owners use the flag of convenience to bypass environmental regulations and labor laws and even conceal entirely who owns a specific ship.

“We expect that the Panamanian government will continue to work with us based on their domestic laws and international obligations,” said Paley.

Washington suspects Iran is involved in the use of shadow tankers to transfer oil or petroleum products and to finance its loyal groups that Washington considers terrorist.

According to Paley, at least six ships flying the Panamanian flag have violated these sanctions since January.

Panama's Deputy Foreign Minister Vladimir Franco said on social media platform X that he had met with Paley for talks on “maritime cooperation” between the two countries.

Iran has been under debilitating US sanctions since Washington's 2018 withdrawal from a landmark nuclear deal.

Washington’s new measure comes few days after Iranian Oil Minister Javad Owji said Tehran’s oil sales were not affected by sanctions even if Donald Trump wins the US presidential elections in November.

Last month, Bloomberg said the Biden administration wants to tighten the screws on Iran's oil sales to neutralize its support for militants in the Middle East.

It said the White House aims to strengthen enforcement of existing sanctions as the regional crisis worsens, quoting people familiar with the situation, although it’s aware missteps risk disrupting global oil markets.

Meanwhile, Iran and Venezuela are trying to patch together an oil alliance that began to fray last year, according to six people familiar with the matter, after the South American country fell behind on oil swaps that had boosted crude exports and helped stem domestic fuel shortages.

The expected April return of US sanctions on Venezuela's oil industry will make the Iran alliance critical to keeping its lagging energy sector afloat.

Washington last year temporarily relaxed sanctions on Venezuela's promise to allow a competitive presidential election, something that has not happened.

The situation is growing dire. A review of shipping data and documents from Venezuela's oil company PDVSA show that Venezuela fell behind in payments to Iran, a shortfall that worsened when the US began to issue licenses in late 2022.

Those authorizations prompted the state firm to reassign cargoes originally planned for Iran to cash-paying customers.

To salvage the partnership, Venezuela is rushing to fulfill terms of a three-year-old alliance that has involved hundreds of millions of dollars in oil swaps and contracts. The nation is trying to settle pending debt by accelerating deliveries of heavy crude and fuel cargoes to Iran.

Venezuela also is striving to renegotiate dozens of unfinished projects from agriculture to car manufacturing before Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi visits Caracas in the coming months, the people said.

Two prior Iranian delegations that traveled to Venezuela since mid-2023 left without significant agreements announced, on the promise that Venezuela would catch up on payments.

“Despite encountering challenges, particularly in terms of payments by Venezuela, both nations remain resolute in their commitment to fortify their relationship and enhance their energy partnership in the face of American pressure,” said a senior Iranian official.

Venezuela's oil minister Pedro Tellechea in February acknowledged the tattered relationship, saying PDVSA would conduct its own maintenance for refineries and petrochemical plants this year, something that was a key part of the 20-year deal with Iran.

“We are completing the maintenance programs with our workers,” he said at a briefing at a fuel distribution plant in central Carabobo state.



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.