Defense Chief Says Ukraine Will Find Battlefield Solutions No Matter Who Wins US Election

Ukrainian Defense Minister Rustem Umerov arrives for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) defense ministers dinner hosted by US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin during the annual NATO summit at the Fort McNair on July 10, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images via AFP)
Ukrainian Defense Minister Rustem Umerov arrives for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) defense ministers dinner hosted by US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin during the annual NATO summit at the Fort McNair on July 10, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images via AFP)
TT
20

Defense Chief Says Ukraine Will Find Battlefield Solutions No Matter Who Wins US Election

Ukrainian Defense Minister Rustem Umerov arrives for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) defense ministers dinner hosted by US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin during the annual NATO summit at the Fort McNair on July 10, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images via AFP)
Ukrainian Defense Minister Rustem Umerov arrives for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) defense ministers dinner hosted by US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin during the annual NATO summit at the Fort McNair on July 10, 2024 in Washington, DC. (Getty Images via AFP)

Ukraine will find a way to battle Russia's invading forces even if former President Donald Trump wins a second term and imperils vital US support for its defense, Ukraine’s defense minister said Wednesday.

In carefully framed comments to an audience of US policymakers and journalists, Defense Minister Rustem Umerov reflected the diplomatic and military difficulty facing Ukraine as Trump and running mate JD Vance gain momentum in the US presidential race.

Vance, an Ohio senator, has battled in Congress to block US military and financial aid to Ukraine as it fights Russian forces and cross-border attacks, while Trump has said he will bring the war to an immediate end if he wins in November.

Trump, a Republican, has not said how he would do that. Analysts say that could include withdrawal of US aid to Ukraine unless it agrees to a ceasefire on Russian terms, including surrendering Ukrainian territory to Russia.

“We believe in US leadership, and we believe America wants its partners and allies to be strong as well,” Umerov said, speaking remotely to an audience of government officials and others at the annual Aspen Security Forum in Colorado.

“At this stage, we will focus on the battlefield,” Umerov said. “Whatever the outcome” of the US elections, “we will find solutions.”

Umerov, much like Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at the NATO summit in Washington last week, stopped short of saying whether Ukraine would attempt to keep fighting or would agree to a ceasefire deal that ceded territory to Russia if the US were to withdraw its support.

While other members of the military alliance of European and North American countries also help provide arms, money and other aid to Ukraine, US support has been the most invaluable since Russia launched its war in early 2022.

For now, Umerov insisted that Ukraine — which has broadened its mobilization efforts to bring in more troops than the 4 million Umerov said were now registered — would keep fighting to regain territory already lost to the Russians.

It was “within our goals” to take back the Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant, seized by Russians early in their offensive, he said.

The defense minister also pushed back against President Joe Biden on one point, although not by name. While Biden has been the most important single backer of Ukraine’s defense, he has resisted growing pressure to roll back tough restrictions placed on Ukraine’s use of US weapons against military targets in Russia. Biden suggested at the NATO summit that Ukraine might use the weapons to hit Moscow.

Umerov said Ukraine couldn’t stop Russian strikes on its cities and infrastructure unless it could hit the airbases and other military sites in Russia from which the strikes come.

“We want to say it loudly: We are focusing on military targets, so that they are not able to hit the civilians” in Ukraine, he said.



After Putin Envoy’s US Talks, Kremlin Says Putin and Trump Have No Plans to Speak

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)
TT
20

After Putin Envoy’s US Talks, Kremlin Says Putin and Trump Have No Plans to Speak

Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)
Russian President Vladimir Putin attends a meeting with Russian Culture Minister Olga Lyubimova, at the Kremlin in Moscow, Russia, 04 April 2025. (EPA/Vyacheslav Prokofyev / Sputnik / Kremlin Pool / Pool)

The Kremlin said on Friday that Russian President Vladimir Putin and US President Donald Trump had no plans to talk after a visit to Washington by Putin's investment envoy as wider negotiations over a ceasefire in Ukraine appeared stalled.

NBC News reported on Thursday that Trump's inner circle is advising him not to speak to Putin again until the Russian leader commits to a full ceasefire in Ukraine, something Putin has said he is open to in principle, but only if a long list of conditions are met.

Kirill Dmitriev, Putin's investment envoy, said on Thursday that he saw a "positive dynamic" in relations between Moscow and Washington after holding two days of meetings in Washington, but said more meetings were needed to sort out differences.

His visit came as a US-brokered agreement for Russia and Ukraine to stop striking each other's energy infrastructure appeared to be faltering, with Moscow and Kyiv repeatedly accusing each other of violating it. Reuters could not verify to what extent it was being respected.

Asked on Friday whether Putin and Trump would now speak by phone, Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters:

"No, there are no plans for the next few days. There is nothing in the schedule for now."

Peskov said Dmitriev's visit was a cause for "cautious optimism", however. He also echoed Dmitriev's comments that Russia could engage in talks around security guarantees for Ukraine, although he said the subject was very complex.

The two sides have engaged in a flurry of diplomacy over Ukraine since Trump returned to office in January, promising a quick end to the conflict and a restoration of ties with Russia.

But Russia this week said it could not accept US proposals on Ukraine, "in their current form", because they did not address core issues that Moscow says are at the root of the conflict.

Trump previously said he was "pissed off" with Putin due to remarks he had made about Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy.

Trump has spoken of imposing sanctions on countries that buy Russian oil if he feels Moscow is blocking a peace deal on Ukraine. In an announcement of global tariffs on Thursday he did include Russia, which is already heavily sanctioned.