Tesla, Chips, and Banks Tumble as China’s Retaliation Stokes Fears of Widening Trade War

Tesla’s logo on a building of the Tesla Gigafactory in Gruenheide, near Berlin, Germany, 03 April 2025. (EPA)
Tesla’s logo on a building of the Tesla Gigafactory in Gruenheide, near Berlin, Germany, 03 April 2025. (EPA)
TT

Tesla, Chips, and Banks Tumble as China’s Retaliation Stokes Fears of Widening Trade War

Tesla’s logo on a building of the Tesla Gigafactory in Gruenheide, near Berlin, Germany, 03 April 2025. (EPA)
Tesla’s logo on a building of the Tesla Gigafactory in Gruenheide, near Berlin, Germany, 03 April 2025. (EPA)

US chip companies, banks and oil majors fell sharply on Friday after China retaliated to Trump's tariffs with steep duties, in an intensifying trade war between the world's two largest economies that cast a shadow on global growth.

China slapped additional duties of 34% on US goods, set to go into effect April 10. It also announced curbs on exports of some rare-earths and added several US firms to its export control list and the "unreliable entities" list, which allows Beijing to take punitive action.

The action followed US President Donald Trump's 34% duties on imports from China announced on Wednesday, which triggered a massive market meltdown on Thursday. The latest levies were on top of the 20% tariffs on China imposed earlier this year.

Investors were already fretting over potential supply chain disruptions, price hikes and demand destruction for everything from cars and smartphones to sneakers.

Shares of Tesla and Apple - among consumer tech companies with a large exposure to China - were down 8% and 4%, respectively. While both companies have local production in China, duties on US-imported parts could squeeze margins and force price hikes.

"Several tech companies have established local supply chains in China. Most source components from China already, and hence, disruptions should be controllable, though we do expect price hikes on parts and components not being sourced from China," said Nishant Udupa, practice director at research firm Everest Group.

For Tesla, already in a bruising price war with local Chinese rivals, raising prices would pressure demand further.

"Apple's smartphone sales had already been declining in China for some time, faced with growing, cheaper competition. So, the prospect of steep import duties being imposed is likely to sharply erode sales even further," said Susannah Streeter, head of money and markets at Hargreaves Lansdown.

Shares of Alphabet, Microsoft and Amazon.com were subdued as they had limited exposure to China.

GE Healthcare's stock slid nearly 13%, following China's export controls on a rare-earth metal that is used in MRI scans. The country's announcement of an anti-dumping investigation into imports of certain medical CT tubes from the US and India added to the worries.

SEMICONDUCTORS

Chip companies are set to face headwinds, too, although US exports a much smaller amount of electronic equipment to China. Shares of Intel, Applied Materials and Qualcomm, all of which count on China for at least 30% of revenue, were down 5% to 8%.

The US exported more than $15 billion worth of electrical and electronic equipment to China in 2024, with most of the value coming from integrated circuits, transistors and other semiconductor devices, according to economic data provider Trading Economics. In comparison, the U.S. imported more than $127 billion in electronic equipment from China last year.

"Semiconductors will feel a greater impact ... We're already witnessing a domestic ecosystem evolve in China, with direct alternatives for every major US semiconductor firm. This trend is likely to accelerate," Udupa said.

NATURAL RESOURCES

Crude prices, already under pressure from an expected OPEC+ oil output hike in May, added to the losses.

Oil majors Exxon and Chevron fell more than 5%. Top oilfield service company SLB dropped 10%, and the biggest US refiner by volume, Marathon Petroleum, fell 6%. Chemicals company DuPont slid 12%.

"The trade war escalated, recession fears rise and consequently oil demand growth is to take a sizeable hit," said Tamas Varga, analyst at PVM.

China is also the largest market for US agricultural products, even as imports of US farm goods dropped last year.

Shares of top grain traders like Archer-Daniels-Midland fell 8% while Bunge was down 6%. Fertilizer firms Mosaic and CF Industries fell 10% and 8%, respectively.

China's tariffs on US soybean exports would increase the cost to local customers, especially animal feed producers, and could prompt the country to source more from Brazil and Argentina, said Morningstar analyst Seth Goldstein.

BANKS

Banks' shares extended their declines from Thursday. The industry has been clouded by fears that a trade dispute could temper consumer confidence, reduce spending, weaken loan demand and pressure fees from advising on deals.

JPMorgan Chase, the biggest US bank by assets, sank 7%. Wall Street titans Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley dropped more than 7% each.

MACHINERY

Heavy machinery makers Caterpillar and Deere fell 5% and 4%, respectively, on concerns over demand from one of their largest overseas markets.

China is a major buyer of construction and agricultural equipment and a key player in global infrastructure spending.

RETAIL

Shares of major luxury and footwear firms reversed coursed after Trump said Vietnam's leader To Lam has offered to reduce tariffs on US imports. Ralph Lauren's shares were up 2.5%, while Tapestry rose as much as 3.6%.

Nike gained 4%, Roger Federer-backed On jumped 7.2% and Lululemon Athletica rose 3%. The stocks had initially fallen after retaliatory tariffs by China, a major revenue contributor.



Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

Saudi Arabia Allows Contracting Exceptions for Firms without Regional HQ

The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)
The King Abdullah Financial District in Riyadh (Asharq Al-Awsat)

Saudi Arabia has introduced greater flexibility into its investment environment, allowing government entities, under strict controls to safeguard spending efficiency and ensure the delivery of critical projects, to seek exceptions to contract with international companies that do not have regional headquarters in the kingdom.

The Local Content and Government Procurement Authority notified all government bodies of the mechanism to apply for exemptions through the Etimad digital platform.

The step is designed to balance enforcement of the “regional headquarters relocation” decision, in force since early 2024, with the needs of technically specialized projects or those driven by intense price competition.

Under a government decision that took effect at the start of 2024, state entities, including authorities, institutions and government-affiliated funds, are barred from contracting with any foreign commercial company whose regional headquarters in the region is located outside Saudi Arabia.

According to the information, the Local Content and Government Procurement Authority informed all entities of the rules governing contracts with companies that lack a regional headquarters in the kingdom and related parties.

Government entities may request an exemption from the committee for specific projects, multiple projects or a defined time period, provided the application is submitted before launching a tender or initiating direct contracting procedures.

Submission mechanism

In two circulars, the authority detailed how to submit exemption requests and clarified the cases in which contracting is permitted under the controls. It said the exemption service was launched on the Etimad platform in November 2025.

The service is available to entities that float tenders through Etimad. Requests for tenders launched before the service went live, as well as those issued outside the platform, will continue to follow the previously adopted process.

Etimad is the kingdom’s official financial services portal run by the Ministry of Finance, aimed at driving digital transformation of government procedures and boosting transparency and efficiency in managing budgets, contracts, payments, tenders and procurement. The platform streamlines transactions between state entities and the private sector.

Technical criteria

When issuing the contracting controls, the government made clear that companies without a regional headquarters in Saudi Arabia, or related parties, are not barred from bidding for public tenders.

However, their offers can only be accepted in two cases: if there is no more than one technically compliant bid, or if the offer ranks among the best technically and is at least 25% lower in price than the second-best bid after overall evaluation.

Contracts with an estimated value of no more than 1 million riyals ($266,000) are also exempt. The minister may, in the public interest, amend the threshold, cancel the exemption or suspend it temporarily.

More than 700 headquarters

More than 700 multinational companies had relocated their regional headquarters to Riyadh by early 2026, exceeding the initial target of attracting 500 companies by 2030. The program seeks to cement the kingdom’s position as a regional business hub and to localize global expertise.

When announcing the contracting ban, Saudi Arabia said the move was intended to incentivize foreign firms dealing with the government and its affiliated entities to adjust their operations.

It aims to create jobs, curb economic leakage, raise spending efficiency and ensure that key goods and services procured by government entities are delivered inside the kingdom with appropriate local content.

The government said the policy aligns with the objectives of the Riyadh 2030 strategy unveiled during the recent Future Investment Initiative forum, where 24 multinational companies announced plans to move their regional headquarters to the Saudi capital.

It stressed that the decision does not affect any investor’s ability to enter the Saudi economy or continue working with the private sector.

 


IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
TT

IMF Board to Review Staff-level $8.1 Bln Agreement for Ukraine

The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko
The city's downtown on a frosty winter day, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in Kyiv, Ukraine February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Alina Smutko

The International Monetary Fund on Thursday said its board ​would review a staff-level agreement for a new $8.1 billion lending program for Ukraine in coming days.

IMF spokeswoman Jule Kozack told reporters that Ukrainian authorities had completed the prior actions needed to move forward with the request ⁠of a new ⁠IMF program, including submission of a draft law on the labor code and adoption of a budget.

She said Ukraine's economic growth in 2025 ⁠was likely under 2%. After four years of war, the country's economy had settled into a slower growth path with larger fiscal and current account balances, she said, noting that the IMF continues to monitor the situation closely.

"Russia's invasion continues to take a ⁠heavy ⁠toll on Ukraine's people and its economy," Kozack said. Intensified aerial attacks by Russia had damaged critical energy and logistics infrastructure, causing disruptions to economic activity, Reuters quoted her as saying.

As of January, she said, 5 million Ukrainian refugees remained in Europe and 3.7 million Ukrainians were displaced inside the country.


US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
TT

US Stocks Fall as Iran Angst Lifts Oil Prices

A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid
A screen displays a stock chart at a work station on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in New York City, US, April 6, 2022. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

Wall Street stocks retreated early Thursday as worries over US-Iran tensions lifted oil prices while markets digested mixed results from Walmart.

US oil futures rose to a six-month high as Iran's atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said no country can deprive the Islamic republic of its right to nuclear enrichment, after US President Donald Trump again hinted at military action following talks in Geneva.

"We'd call this an undercurrent of concern that is bubbling up in oil prices," Briefing.com analyst Patrick O'Hare said of the "geopolitical angst."

About 10 minutes into trading, the Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 0.6 percent at 49,379.46, AFP reported.

The broad-based S&P 500 fell 0.5 percent to 6,849.35, while the tech-rich Nasdaq Composite Index declined 0.6 percent to 22,621.38.

Among individual companies, Walmart rose 1.7 percent after reporting solid results but offering forecasts that missed analyst expectations.

Shares of the retail giant initially fell, but pushed higher after Walmart executives talked up artificial intelligence investments on a conference call with analysts.

The US trade deficit in goods expanded to a new record in 2025, government data showed, despite sweeping tariffs that Trump imposed during his first year back in the White House.