Russia Says It Advances in Eastern Ukraine and Regroups after Incursion

The damaged interior of an office of the school building which was destroyed by two Russian glide bombs overnight 17 August 2024 in the village of Yunakivka, 9 kilometers from the border with Russia in the Sumy region, Ukraine, 18 August 2024 amid the Russian invasion. (EPA)
The damaged interior of an office of the school building which was destroyed by two Russian glide bombs overnight 17 August 2024 in the village of Yunakivka, 9 kilometers from the border with Russia in the Sumy region, Ukraine, 18 August 2024 amid the Russian invasion. (EPA)
TT

Russia Says It Advances in Eastern Ukraine and Regroups after Incursion

The damaged interior of an office of the school building which was destroyed by two Russian glide bombs overnight 17 August 2024 in the village of Yunakivka, 9 kilometers from the border with Russia in the Sumy region, Ukraine, 18 August 2024 amid the Russian invasion. (EPA)
The damaged interior of an office of the school building which was destroyed by two Russian glide bombs overnight 17 August 2024 in the village of Yunakivka, 9 kilometers from the border with Russia in the Sumy region, Ukraine, 18 August 2024 amid the Russian invasion. (EPA)

Russia said on Tuesday its forces had taken control of what it described as the strategically important logistics hub of Niu-York in eastern Ukraine, part of Moscow's grinding drive to capture the entire Donetsk region.

Even as Ukrainian troops seek to advance in Russia's Kursk region after a surprise cross-border attack that began on Aug. 6, the fate of Niu-York - which Reuters could not independently confirm - is a reminder that Russian forces are still pressing on with their own offensive in eastern Ukraine.

Russia separately announced the formation of new military groupings in Kursk and two other border regions as it tries to repel the incursion without diverting forces from front lines deep inside Ukraine.

Defense Minister Andrei Belousov said a new coordinating body had "already" begun working round the clock to liaise between regional authorities, troop commanders and the defense ministry.

But the timing of his announcement - a full two weeks after Ukrainian forces smashed through Russia's western border - served to emphasize the delayed nature of Moscow's response. He did not say why such smooth coordination had not been possible previously.

Ukraine's top commander Oleksandr Syrskyi said on Tuesday his forces had pushed 28-35 km (17-22 miles) into Russia, capturing 1,263 sq km (488 square miles) of territory including 93 settlements - figures that Reuters could not independently confirm. Russia has vowed to crush the incursion, but has shown no sign it is close to expelling Ukrainian forces.

The operation has boosted Ukrainian morale, and Kyiv believes the seizure of territory and Russian prisoners has strengthened its hand in any potential negotiation.

But independent military analysts say Kyiv has gambled by pulling some of its most effective combat units away from the defense of front lines in eastern Ukraine, where Russia is continuing to advance.

INCREMENTAL SUCCESS

The capture of Niu-York, if confirmed by Ukraine, would mark another incremental success for Russia and would open the door to further possible strategically important gains. The town, whose name is pronounced like "New York", has been devastated by heavy shelling and bombing by Russian forces who have used drones to dislodge Ukrainian forces from fortified positions.

With a pre-war population of just under 10,000, thousands of whom have since fled the fighting, the town is on the railway line to Sloviansk, one of the cities in Donetsk which Moscow has long wanted to take.

Donetsk is one of four Ukrainian regions which Russia says it has annexed even though it does not fully control all of it, a territorial claim which Kyiv and the West have rejected as illegal and one which Ukraine has vowed to reverse by force.

Russian state TV correspondent Yevgeny Poddubny, who this month survived a Ukrainian drone attack on a car he was travelling in, said control of Niu-York would allow Russian forces to get closer to cutting off a key road - the Pokrovsk-Kostiantynivka highway - that keeps the Ukrainian army in the east supplied.

Alexander Kots, a war correspondent for the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily, said Russian forces would now also be able to attack the eastern city of Toretsk - which is already under Russian pressure on its eastern flank - from the south.

President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the situation near Pokrovsk and Toretsk was "difficult".

Ukraine's General Staff said on Facebook that 14 combat clashes had been reported in the Toretsk area and 34 in the Pokrovsk sector since the start of the day.

There was no immediate confirmation by Ukraine that Niu-York was in Russian hands. Ukraine's General Staff acknowledged Russian troops were attacking near Niu-York but said Ukrainian forces were giving them "a worthy rebuff".

Ukrainian officials said Russia had also hit energy infrastructure in northern Ukraine in an overnight missile and drone attack and caused a huge fire in the west of the country, resulting in increased chlorine levels in the air.

Separately, Russia said it had summoned a senior US diplomat in Moscow to protest over what it called the "provocative" actions of American journalists who had crossed into the Kursk region from Ukraine to report on the incursion.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said it had also protested over what it said was emerging evidence of the participation of US private military companies in the invasion of Russian territory by Ukraine. It did not say what evidence it was referring to.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.