Harris Hopes to Turn Ukraine War into Winning Issue in Battle With Trump for Polish American Votes

Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)
Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)
TT

Harris Hopes to Turn Ukraine War into Winning Issue in Battle With Trump for Polish American Votes

Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)
Kamala Harris and Donald Trump (Reuters)

Democrats are stepping up their outreach to Polish Americans in this year's presidential election as Kamala Harris and Donald Trump vie for support from a community that could play a decisive role in razor-thin battleground state contests.
Harris hopes to capitalize on Polish Americans' historic animosity toward Russia and on Trump's hesitancy to back Ukraine during last week's debate. The Democratic vice president's team organized a national call with Polish American supporters on Wednesday to encourage local networks to hold their own events and spread the campaign's message, The Associated Press said.
Although Polish Americans are not a particularly large demographic, many of them live in the so-called “blue wall” states that are critical to victory for either candidate. There are an estimated 784,000 in Michigan, 758,000 in Pennsylvania and 481,000 in Wisconsin, three places that Harris is visiting this week.
“We’re talking about an election where a swing of a few thousand voters in any of those states could make all the difference,” said Tom Malinowski, a Polish-born former Democratic congressman from New Jersey.
Filip Jotevski, the newly hired point person for networking with diaspora and ethnic communities, said on Wednesday's Harris organizing call that if Trump returns to power “he'll sell out Ukraine” after spending years “cozying up to Vladimir Putin.” Trump, for his part, is slated to visit a Polish American shrine in Pennsylvania on Sunday for the unveiling of a monument to the anti-communist Solidarity movement. The Republican candidate will be there at the same time as Polish President Andrzej Duda.
The Polish American community was pushed into the spotlight during the Sept. 10 debate in Philadelphia, when Trump twice refused to say whether he wanted Ukraine to win the war against Russia.
"Negotiate a deal," Trump said. "Because we have to stop all of these human lives from being destroyed.”
Harris fired back that if Trump had been president when the invasion took place, "Putin would be sitting in Kyiv with his eyes on the rest of Europe."
“Why don’t you tell the 800,000 Polish Americans right here in Pennsylvania how quickly you would give up," she said.
Some were surprised yet pleased to hear their community mentioned on the debate stage.
“She knew what she was talking about,” said Tony Pol, a 67-year-old retired fire chief in Erie, Pennsylvania, who spent a quarter century helping run a Polish American fraternal organization. “I think that’s the concern of everybody — if Ukraine goes down, then Poland goes next, and that’s very concerning.”
Gosia Dodi, originally from Poland and now an American citizen living in western Michigan, said she “absolutely agrees” with Harris that Russia could target Poland if Ukraine loses. The 61-year-old described Trump's affection for Putin as “dangerous for Poland.”
“I want the war over, but not the way he’s saying," she said. "He thinks he can fix everything within one day or something, which is ridiculous."
After Poland was devastated in World War II, the country spent decades as a satellite state of the Soviet Union. A revolution ended communist rule in 1989, paving the way for the country's modern multiparty democracy.
Poland became a NATO member in 1999. Timothy L. Kuzma, a Pittsburgh resident who leads the Polish Falcons of America, a fraternal organization with 19th-century roots in Chicago’s large Polish immigrant community, said his community's voters want to see a candidate that's committed to strong transatlantic bonds.
“If either candidate doesn’t give those kinds of assurances, that’s problematic," he said. “The candidates, both parties, have to pledge their support to Poland, to Ukraine, to NATO and to the overall security of Eastern Europe — and that’s all of Eastern Europe — and Europe as well."
Trump has previously suggested withdrawing the United States from NATO, which would devastate the alliance, and he’s demanded that allies increase their defense spending to reduce the burden on Washington. If they didn't, Trump warned, the US would not uphold its treaty obligations and “would encourage them” — meaning Russia — “to do whatever the hell they want.”
Pete Alibali, 53, immigrated from Soviet-controlled Poland when he was 16, because his mother, a chemist, wanted to advance her career without becoming a communist party member.
A lifelong Democrat who now lives in Madison, Wisconsin, Alibali views Putin as a “predator and a continuation of the Soviets." Beyond his concern for his native Poland, he worries that tiny Baltic nations could also be threatened if Ukraine is defeated.
Alibali acknowledged that many Polish Americans are conservative, growing up reading Polish newspapers, working in Polish-owned businesses, listening to Polish radio and attending their neighborhood Catholic church. He described his uncle, who lives in Chicago, as a “very rabid Trump supporter.”
“Trump divided my family,” Alibali said.
Polish American voters have swung back and forth between Democrats and Republicans in presidential elections over the years. They supported Trump in 2016 but backed President Joe Biden in 2020.
Malinowski said Trump's visit to the shrine "shows that he’s nervous that he might be losing ground among a group of voters that he may have taken for granted.” He also downplayed any suggestion of friendship between Trump and Duda, a right-wing politician who once suggested renaming a military base in his country as Fort Trump.
“I know the Poles are nervous," he said. "The advice they’re getting is, cultivate Trump just in case. They’re doing it with fingers crossed.”
Tom Kolano, a 55-year-old Republican in suburban Pittsburgh whose ancestors were Polish immigrants, said he's encouraged by Trump's relationship with Duda.
“I’m not worried that President Trump will abandon Ukraine,” Kolano said. “Here’s one big reason — I think Poland will have a lot to say about that.”
He pointed out that Duda and his political rival, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk, used a visit to Washington in March to press a divided Congress to break its impasse over replenishing funds for Ukraine at a critical moment in the war.
John Laka, 66, of Appleton, Wisconsin, believes that Trump will be stronger overall on foreign policy than Harris.
“I just don’t have a lot of confidence in her as a leader or president,” he said. “She’s just really lacking.”
Laka's parents immigrated to the United States from Poland, and he's not sure how much the country is really imperiled by Russia.
“The threat of Putin going further is always going to be there unless there’s that idea of deterrence and right now we’re not deterring going anywhere,” he said.



UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
TT

UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Britain's foreign minister Yvette Cooper ‌will meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of ​the Chagos Islands, which is home to a US-UK air base.
Last year, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one - Diego Garcia - through a 99-year lease that preserved US operations at the base, Reuters said.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Trump has since ‌changed his mind ‌several times. In January, Trump described it ​as ‌an ⁠act ​of "great stupidity", ⁠but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week.
Cooper is meeting Rubio to discuss defense and security issues in Washington as Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the ⁠next 10 to 15 days, or "really bad ‌things" will happen.
The Diego Garcia ‌base has recently been used for ​operations in the Middle East against ‌Yemen's Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza.
Although on Tuesday ‌Rubio's State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Trump said Britain was making a big mistake.
"DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the ‌base could be called upon in any future military operation to "eradicate a potential attack" from ⁠Iran.
Under the ⁠conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia.
On Thursday, Britain's The Times newspaper reported that Trump's latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law.
Asked about The Times report, Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Thursday it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported ​the ongoing political process between ​the US and Iran.


Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Turkish police have detained investigative journalist Alican Uludag on suspicion of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and spreading misinformation, sparking outrage among journalism groups.
Uludag, who works for German broadcaster Deutsche Welle’s Turkish service, was taken from his home in Ankara late Thursday as part of an investigation into social media posts. The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office said he is suspected of “insulting the president” and “disseminating misleading information.”
The journalist, whose reporting focuses mainly on the judiciary and on corruption cases, was later transferred to Istanbul for questioning.
His detention drew sharp condemnation from press freedom advocates, who described it as an attack on media independence and democratic norms, The Associated Press said.
Deutsche Welle’s director‑general, Barbara Massing, demanded his release, calling the arrest “a deliberate act of intimidation.”
On Friday, journalists gathered outside Istanbul’s Çaglayan Courthouse to protest Uludag’s detention and to call for his immediate release.
The advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders considers Türkiye to be one of the most repressive countries for journalists, nothing that most media organizations are under government control and journalists face frequent legal pressure or intimidation.
At least 14 journalists or media sector workers are currently in prison, according to the Turkish Journalists Syndicate.


South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
TT

South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)

Former ‌South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol apologized on Friday for his short-lived declaration of martial law in December 2024, a day after a Seoul court sentenced him to life in prison for masterminding an insurrection.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Yoon said that while he was sorry for the "frustration and hardship" brought upon the people by his martial law decree, he stood behind the "sincerity and purpose" behind his actions.

The Seoul Central District Court's decision ‌to hand him ‌a life sentence on Thursday was "predetermined," he ‌said, ⁠adding that the verdict ⁠against him was political retaliation.

"Forces that seek to smear a decision made to save the nation as an 'insurrection' and to use it beyond political attacks as an opportunity to purge and eliminate their opponents will only grow more rampant going forward," he said.

Yoon also questioned ⁠whether an appeal would have meaning ‌in what he described as an ‌environment where judicial independence could not be guaranteed, while telling ‌supporters to "unite and rise."

His lawyers separately said the statement ‌did not amount to an intention to forgo an appeal.

Yoon's martial law declaration lasted around six hours before being voted down by parliament, but it sent shockwaves through the country and ‌sparked street protests.

The court found Yoon guilty of subverting constitutional order by deploying troops ⁠to storm ⁠parliament and move to detain opponents, capping a dramatic fall that saw him stripped of office and end up behind bars.

Yoon, a former career prosecutor, denied the charges, arguing he had presidential authority to declare martial law and his action was aimed at sounding the alarm over opposition parties' obstruction of government.

A special prosecutor had sought the death penalty for Yoon, though South Korea has not carried out an execution since 1997.

A prosecutor said on Thursday the team had some "regret" over the sentencing, but declined to say whether they planned to appeal.