Donald Trump Tries to Blunt Democrats’ Momentum in North Carolina

Former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump arrives for a town hall event at the Crown Complex in Fayetteville, North Carolina, on October 4, 2024. (AFP)
Former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump arrives for a town hall event at the Crown Complex in Fayetteville, North Carolina, on October 4, 2024. (AFP)
TT

Donald Trump Tries to Blunt Democrats’ Momentum in North Carolina

Former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump arrives for a town hall event at the Crown Complex in Fayetteville, North Carolina, on October 4, 2024. (AFP)
Former US President and Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump arrives for a town hall event at the Crown Complex in Fayetteville, North Carolina, on October 4, 2024. (AFP)

Donald Trump campaigned in North Carolina on Friday for the fourth time in a month, as the Republican presidential candidate tries to firm up support in a state he was handily leading a few months ago but is now among the most competitive in the race.

The former president's visit to Fayetteville, home to a large military community, came as the state has been convulsed by literal and political storms.

Once-in-a-generation floods triggered by Hurricane Helene killed dozens in the state's western mountains, while the Republican candidate for governor has faced damaging reports about past inflammatory and lewd comments.

Trump drew cheers from the raucous crowd of thousands packed into a coliseum when he declared that if elected, he would seek to change the name of the state's sprawling military base, Fort Liberty, back to Fort Bragg. The name, changed last year, previously honored a Confederate general in the US Civil War.

Trump dismissed comments by US President Joe Biden, who cautioned this week that Israel should not attack Iranian nuclear facilities.

"Isn't that what you're supposed to hit?" said Trump. "When they asked him that question, the answer should have been hit the nuclear first and worry about the rest later."

Some Trump allies privately say the race in North Carolina, which Trump won in both the 2016 and 2020 elections, is too close for comfort, even as they think he still has a slight leg up on Democratic rival Kamala Harris ahead of the Nov. 5 election. Hurricane Helene has intensified those concerns amid fears by some Trump advisers and donors who privately worry the storm could depress turnout in the state's conservative mountain regions.

By some metrics, the vice president is doing marginally better here than she is in Arizona and Georgia, two states which Trump lost in 2020. The three states are among a handful of battlegrounds that both candidates have a legitimate shot of winning next month, and will play a critical role in determining the election winner.

"I'm freaking out about North Carolina," said one major Trump donor, who was granted anonymity to give his candid assessment of the race. "Georgia and Arizona are not in the bag but heading in the right direction."

Trump leads Harris by 0.5 percentage point in North Carolina, according to a polling average maintained by FiveThirtyEight, a polling and analysis website. The former president leads Harris by 1.1 points in Georgia and 1.2 points in Arizona. All of those figures are within the margin of error for major polls, meaning either candidate could walk away with a victory.

On his way to North Carolina, Trump stopped in Evans, Georgia, for a briefing at a hurricane response center with the state's Republican governor, Brian Kemp.

The two men recently struck a truce after Trump publicly criticized Kemp for not supporting the specious election fraud claims he used in 2020 to try to overturn his loss in Georgia.

"I'm not thinking about voters right now, I'm thinking about lives," Trump told reporters.

HITTING THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL HARD

Trump had been leading Biden by several percentage points in North Carolina before the Democratic president dropped his re-election bid in July and passed the baton to Harris, who has steadily closed the gap with Trump.

While Trump's ad spending in the state has been relatively modest compared with most other battleground states, he has hit the campaign trail hard. His four campaign events in North Carolina, including stops in Wilmington and Mint Hill, in the last month outnumber those in any other state except for Wisconsin and Michigan, according to a Reuters tally.

The Trump campaign referred a request for comment to North Carolina's Republican Party. Matt Mercer, the party's communications director, said the Trump campaign was going as planned in the Southern state.

"North Carolina is close and has been for several cycles," Mercer said. "However, President Trump has won the state twice, and we are confident we will deliver a third time."

Harris also has made frequent trips to North Carolina and is expected there again on Saturday.

Dory MacMillan, a communications official for her campaign, said Harris "is gaining momentum as voters continue to learn more about Vice President Harris' vision for a New Way Forward where our freedoms are protected and everyone has the chance to not just get by, but get ahead."

Among the potential headwinds Trump faces is the state's Republican gubernatorial candidate, Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson, a Trump ally.

In September, CNN reported that Robinson, a Black man, had called himself a "black NAZI," advocated bringing back slavery and said he enjoyed transsexual pornography in an online chatroom. Robinson denied making the comments.

Analysts say it is unclear if the Robinson scandal will depress turnout among Republicans on Election Day, potentially hurting Trump. But it will certainly not help.

"It hasn't necessarily changed voters' minds, but where I would be concerned is that you want everyone rowing in the same direction," said Doug Heye, a veteran Republican strategist and North Carolina native, who noted the disarray around Robinson's campaign was hampering its ability to drive voters to the polls.

Privately, two Trump donors and a Trump adviser added that the fallout from the hurricane was a worry. The most affected areas of the state are also among its most Republican.

"If you don't have a home, do you really care about the presidential election?" the adviser said, summing up the concerns.



Trump to Travel to China Next Month, with US Trade Policy in Focus

US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Trump to Travel to China Next Month, with US Trade Policy in Focus

US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump arrives at Joint Base Andrews in Maryland, US, February 19, 2026. (Reuters)

US President Donald Trump will travel to China from March 31 to April 2 for a highly anticipated meeting between the world's two biggest economies, following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Trump's sweeping tariffs against imported goods.

A White House official confirmed the trip on Friday, just before the highest US court struck down many of the tariffs Trump has used to manage sometimes-tense relations with China.

Trump is expected to visit Beijing and meet Chinese President Xi Jinping as part of a lavish, extended visit. Trump was last in China in 2017, ‌the most ‌recent trip by a US president.

A key topic had been whether ‌to ⁠extend a trade ⁠truce that kept both countries from further hiking tariffs. After Friday's ruling, however, it was not immediately clear whether - and under what legal authority - Trump would restore tariffs on imports from China.

TRUMP SEES TRADE IMBALANCE AS NATIONAL EMERGENCY

The administration has said the tariffs were necessary because of national emergencies related to trade imbalances and China's role in producing illicit fentanyl-related chemicals.

"That's going to be a wild one," Trump told foreign leaders visiting Washington on Thursday ⁠about the trip. "We have to put on the biggest display you've ‌ever had in the history of China."

The Chinese ‌embassy in Washington did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Beijing has not ‌confirmed the trip.

The visit would be the leaders' first talks since February and their first ‌in-person visit since an October meeting in South Korea. At that October meeting, Trump agreed to trim tariffs on China in exchange for Beijing cracking down on the fentanyl trade, resuming US soybean purchases and keeping rare earth minerals flowing.

While the October meeting largely sidestepped the sensitive issue of ‌Taiwan, Xi raised US arms sales to the island in February.

Washington announced its largest-ever arms sales deal with Taiwan in December, ⁠including $11.1 billion in ⁠weapons that could ostensibly be used to defend against a Chinese attack. Taiwan expects more such sales.

China views Taiwan as its own territory, a position Taipei rejects. The United States has formal diplomatic ties with China, but it maintains unofficial ties with Taiwan and is the island's most important arms supplier. The United States is bound by law to provide Taiwan with the means to defend itself.

Xi also said during the February call that he would consider further increasing soybean purchases, according to Trump.

Struggling US farmers are a major political constituency for Trump, and China is the top soybean consumer.

Although Trump has justified several hawkish policy steps from Canada to Greenland and Venezuela as necessary to thwart China, he has eased policy toward Beijing in the past several months in key areas, from tariffs to advanced computer chips and drones.


Diplomacy Is Still the Only Viable Path to Peace in Ukraine, UN Refugee Chief Barham Salih Says

UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)
UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)
TT

Diplomacy Is Still the Only Viable Path to Peace in Ukraine, UN Refugee Chief Barham Salih Says

UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)
UNCHR High Commissioner Barham Salih talks during an interview with The Associated Press in Kyiv, Ukraine, Friday, Feb. 20, 2026. (AP)

There are many obstacles to a peace deal in Ukraine, but a diplomatic solution remains the only viable option, the newly appointed head of the UN refugee agency said Friday, warning that humanitarian operations are increasingly overstretched because of multiple global crises.

Barham Salih, Iraq’s former president who was elected UNHCR high commissioner in December, made his first visit to Ukraine since taking office.

After traveling to Ukraine’s front-line cities, including Kharkiv and Zaporizhzhia, he met with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and discussed the latest in efforts to secure a peace deal. He also discussed the future of UNHCR operations as Ukraine endures Russian attacks on its energy grid during a harsh winter.

“You have to be hopeful, but I do understand the difficulties in the situation, and it’s clear, of course, there are many, many impediments along the way, but at the end of the day, there is no military solution. There needs to be peace, a durable and just peace so that people can go back to their lives,” he said, speaking to The Associated Press in an interview in Kyiv.

“Things are not necessarily easy, definitely not easy, but let’s redouble the effort to make sure that diplomacy has a chance and really bring about a durable and just peace to this war that has been going on for far too long,” he added.

Of the agency’s $470 million appeal for Ukraine, only $150 million has been pledged. The shortfall reflects deep cuts across the humanitarian sector, making it increasingly difficult to deliver aid across multiple crises.

There are 3.7 million Ukrainians displaced within the country and nearly 6 million Ukrainians outside the country who have become refugees in Europe and elsewhere, he said.

“This tells you the gap between what is needed and what is available,” he said. “My appeal to the international community is, really, this is not the moment to walk away, this is not a moment to look the other way round. These vulnerable populations need support. We should deliver this help to them.”

The UN agency in Ukraine predicts 10.8 million Ukrainians will require humanitarian assistance in 2026, according to a report from the agency. The most critical needs are concentrated along the war’s front lines in the eastern and southern parts of Ukraine, as well as in the northern border region. Intensified hostilities produce fresh waves of displacement.

The agency’s Ukraine appeal competes with large-scale conflicts in Sudan and Gaza. Since his appointment, Salih has spent only one week in his Geneva office, traveling to Kenya, Chad, Türkiye and Jordan before visiting Ukraine.

Drastic cuts to US humanitarian funding under President Donald Trump has accelerated the erosion of global humanitarian infrastructure and severely undermined the ability of organizations to deliver aid.

There are 117 million displaced people worldwide, including at least 42 million refugees, Salih said. Two-thirds face protracted displacement and remain dependent on humanitarian assistance.

Deciding where to prioritize given shrinking resources is “difficult” he said.

“It’s really very difficult to prioritize given the scale of the problem. I was in Kenya and I was in Chad recently and I was in Türkiye and in Jordan talking to refugees from Syria. And of course, now in Ukraine, these are all pressing issues, pressing requirements,” he said.

“We need to be there to help people, but also I have to say we really need to look at durable solutions too as well. It’s not a matter of sustaining dependency or humanitarian assistance,” he added.

In his meeting with Zelenskyy, Salih said they discussed the need to focus on the “recovery phase and sustainable solutions and self reliance as we go forward,” he said.


Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
TT

Israel Army Says on ‘Defensive Alert’ Regarding Iran but No Change to Public Guidelines

Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)
Israeli air defense system fires to intercept missiles during an Iranian attack over Tel Aviv, Israel, Thursday, June 19, 2025. (AP)

The Israeli army said it was on "defensive alert" as the United States threatens potential military action against Iran, but insisted there were no changes in its guidelines for the public.

"We are closely monitoring regional developments and are aware of the public discourse concerning Iran. The (Israeli military) is on defensive alert," army spokesman Brigadier General Effie Defrin said in a video statement published Friday.

"Our eyes are wide open in all directions, and our finger is more than ever on the trigger in response to any change in the operational reality," he added, but emphasized "there is no change in the instructions".