Pyongyang Says Recovered Remains of South Korean Drone

This undated picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) via KNS on October 19, 2024 shows what is claimed to be a recovered South Korean drone, at an undisclosed location in North Korea. (Photo by KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)
This undated picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) via KNS on October 19, 2024 shows what is claimed to be a recovered South Korean drone, at an undisclosed location in North Korea. (Photo by KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)
TT

Pyongyang Says Recovered Remains of South Korean Drone

This undated picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) via KNS on October 19, 2024 shows what is claimed to be a recovered South Korean drone, at an undisclosed location in North Korea. (Photo by KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)
This undated picture released from North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) via KNS on October 19, 2024 shows what is claimed to be a recovered South Korean drone, at an undisclosed location in North Korea. (Photo by KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)

North Korea claimed Saturday it had discovered the remains of at least one crashed South Korean military drone in the capital Pyongyang, releasing images of the device that some analysts confirmed was South Korean.
The nuclear-armed North recently accused Seoul of using drones to drop anti-regime propaganda leaflets on the capital.
Pyongyang's defense ministry spokesman said security authorities found the remains of a crashed drone during a search of the North Korean capital on October 13, the official KCNA news agency reported.
The North's investigation "scientifically proved that the drone came from the ROK," the unnamed spokesman said, using South Korea's official acronym.
South Korea's military initially denied sending drones, but has subsequently declined to comment.
"There is no value in verifying or responding to North Korea's unilateral claims," it said in a brief statement Saturday.
North Korea has previously warned it would consider it "a declaration of war" if another drone was detected.
The North Korean official claimed the drone was of the same type as a vehicle-mounted drone displayed by the South Korean military during an Armed Forces Day event in Seoul last year.
KCNA released several images of what it claimed was the recovered drone, including one showing it lodged in a tree and others featuring North Koreans who appeared to be officials.
Hong Min, a senior analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification, said that based on the images released by the North, the drone was "clearly a long-range reconnaissance small drone used by ... the South Korean military".
"It is the same model that our military showcased during the Armed Forces Day event last year," he told AFP.
The North said the drone was found in Pyongyang's Hyongjesan district, which Hong said was close to the North's Sanum-dong missile research center.
Given the location, the drone "may have been used (by the South Korean military) for reconnaissance," he said.
- North 'sending troops to Russia' -
Yang Moo-jin, president of the University of North Korean Studies in Seoul, also said if the North's allegations were true, it could mean the South "had been conducting reconnaissance with military drones".
North Korea on Saturday reiterated it would regard the detection of another drone as "a declaration of war" and would respond with an immediate retaliatory attack.
But the defense ministry official appeared to slightly amend Pyongyang's previous claim that the South used the drones to drop propaganda leaflets over the North Korean capital.
“It is quite likely that the drone is the one which scattered leaflets over the center of Pyongyang Municipality," he said, but added: "But the conclusion has not yet been drawn."
Relations between the two sides have deteriorated since North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in January defined Seoul as his country's "principal enemy" and said the North was no longer interested in reunification.
The latest developments came a day after South Korea's spy agency said Pyongyang had decided to send a "large-scale" troop deployment to support Moscow's war in Ukraine, with 1,500 special forces already in Russia's Far East and undergoing training.
"North Korea is currently sending elite troops to Russia and providing weapons," analyst Hong said, noting that Pyongyang now needs to better manage its internal military resources after diverting special forces and equipment to help Moscow.
"So this seems to be a response that emphasizes preventing a recurrence rather than escalating tensions with South Korea," he added.
Pyongyang has itself sent drones southwards -- in 2022, five North Korean drones crossed the border, prompting the South Korean military to fire warning shots and deploy fighter jets.
The jets failed to shoot down any of the drones.



US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
TT

US Judge Blocks Deportation of Columbia University Palestinian Activist

Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP
Mohsen Mahdawi at a press conference in Vermont last year - Photo by Alex Driehaus/AP

A US immigration judge has blocked the deportation of a Palestinian graduate student who helped organize protests at Columbia University against Israel's war in Gaza, according to US media reports.

Mohsen Mahdawi was arrested by immigration agents last year as he was attending an interview to become a US citizen.

Mahdawi had been involved in a wave of demonstrations that gripped several major US university campuses since Israel began a massive military campaign in the Gaza Strip.

A Palestinian born in the occupied West Bank, Mahdawi has been a legal US permanent resident since 2015 and graduated from the prestigious New York university in May. He has been free from federal custody since April.

In an order made public on Tuesday, Judge Nina Froes said that President Donald Trump's administration did not provide sufficient evidence that Mahdawi could be legally removed from the United States, multiple media outlets reported.

Froes reportedly questioned the authenticity of a copy of a document purportedly signed by Secretary of State Marco Rubio that said Mahdawi's activism "could undermine the Middle East peace process by reinforcing antisemitic sentiment," according to the New York Times.

Rubio has argued that federal law grants him the authority to summarily revoke visas and deport migrants who pose threats to US foreign policy.

The Trump administration can still appeal the decision, which marked a setback in the Republican president's efforts to crack down on pro-Palestinian campus activists.

The administration has also attempted to deport Mahmoud Khalil, another student activist who co-founded a Palestinian student group at Columbia, alongside Mahdawi.

"I am grateful to the court for honoring the rule of law and holding the line against the government's attempts to trample on due process," Mahdawi said in a statement released by his attorneys and published Tuesday by several media outlets.

"This decision is an important step towards upholding what fear tried to destroy: the right to speak for peace and justice."


Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
TT

Fire Breaks out Near Iran's Capital Tehran, State Media Says

Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)
Smoke rises from a fire caused by an explosion in Tehran (File photo - Reuters)

A fire broke out in Iran's Parand near the capital city Tehran, state media reported on Wednesday, publishing videos of smoke rising over the area which is close to several military and strategic sites in the country's Tehran province, Reuters reported.

"The black smoke seen near the city of Parand is the result of a fire in the reeds around the Parand river bank... fire fighters are on site and the fire extinguishing operation is underway", state media cited the Parand fire department as saying.


Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
TT

Pakistan PM Sharif to Seek Clarity on Troops for Gaza in US Visit

US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo
US President Donald Trump looks at Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif speaking following the official signing of the first phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas, during a world leaders' summit on ending the Gaza war, in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

Before Pakistan commits to sending troops to Gaza as part of the International Stabilization Force it wants assurances from the United States that it will be a peacekeeping mission rather than tasked with disarming Hamas, three sources told Reuters.

Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif is set to attend the first formal meeting of President Donald Trump's Board of Peace in Washington on Thursday, alongside delegations from at least 20 countries.

Trump, who will chair the meeting, is expected to announce a multi-billion dollar reconstruction plan for Gaza and detail plans for a UN-authorized stabilization force for the Palestinian enclave.

Three government sources said during the Washington visit Sharif wanted to better understand the goal of the ISF, what authority they were operating under and what the chain of command was before making a decision on deploying troops.

"We are ready to send troops. Let me make it clear that our troops could only be part of a peace mission in Gaza," said one of the sources, a close aide of Sharif.

"We will not be part of any other role, such as disarming Hamas. It is out of the question," he said.

Analysts say Pakistan would be an asset to the multinational force, with its experienced military that has gone to war with arch-rival India and tackled insurgencies.

"We can send initially a couple of thousand troops anytime, but we need to know what role they are going to play," the source added.

Two of the sources said it was likely Sharif, who has met Trump earlier this year in Davos and late last year at the White House, would either have an audience with him on the sidelines of the meeting or the following day at the White House.

Initially designed to cement Gaza's ceasefire, Trump sees the Board of Peace, launched in late January, taking a wider role in resolving global conflicts. Some countries have reacted cautiously, fearing it could become a rival to the United Nations.

While Pakistan has supported the establishment of the board, it has voiced concerns against the mission to demilitarize Gaza's militant group Hamas.