Iranian Dual Nationals Alarmed after Tehran Executes German-Iranian

Jamshid Sharmahd, 69, was executed on Monday - AFP
Jamshid Sharmahd, 69, was executed on Monday - AFP
TT

Iranian Dual Nationals Alarmed after Tehran Executes German-Iranian

Jamshid Sharmahd, 69, was executed on Monday - AFP
Jamshid Sharmahd, 69, was executed on Monday - AFP

Iran's execution of a German-Iranian dissident this week is a clear message that a Western passport cannot shield critics of the Tehran government, Iranians with dual nationality say.

Jamshid Sharmahd, 69, was executed on Monday after several years behind bars, sparking condemnation from Germany and the European Union.

"It's terrifying to wake up to this kind of news. It's proof that this regime is staying in power through violence, cruelty and executions," said Sahar Aghakhani, a 30-year-old Franco-Iranian working in the health sector.

"But it's also a message: dual nationality does not protect you against the Islamic Republic of Iran."
Sharmahd, a German citizen of Iranian descent and a US resident, had written for an Iranian opposition group's website based abroad that strongly criticized the Islamic republic's leadership.

Iranian authorities seized Sharmahd in 2020 while he was in the United Arab Emirates, according to his family, AFP reported.

Iran accused him of involvement in a deadly 2008 mosque bombing, and sentenced him to death in 2023 after what rights group Amnesty International called "forced confessions" and a "sham trial".

Now the the families of other detainees are worried, including the wife of Iranian-Swedish academic Ahmadreza Djalali.

The resident of Sweden was arrested in Iran in 2016 and sentenced to death in 2017 on charges of spying for Israel's Mossad. He has since been granted Swedish nationality.

"I'm really afraid," Vida Mehrannia told AFP.

"We cannot prevent the same scenario from happening to Ahmadreza."

- 'Very chilling effect' -

Several other dual nationals have been put to death since 2023.

Iran hanged Habib Chaab, an Iranian-Swedish national, on a "terrorism" conviction last year, drawing strong condemnation from Sweden.

It also executed Alireza Akbari, a former Iranian deputy defense minister who was granted British citizenship after leaving his post, last year after he was convicted of spying for Britain.

Like Sharmahd, two other critics of the Iranian leadership based abroad were "abducted", Amnesty says.

Chaab disappeared in Türkiye in 2020, it said.

The previous year, dissident journalist Rouhollah Zam, who lived in France, was "abducted" during a visit to Iraq, according to Amnesty. He was executed in Iran in 2020.

US-Iranian human rights lawyer Gissou Nia, of the Atlantic Council, said the latest execution had "a very chilling effect".

"There are Iranian dissidents all over the world... This essentially puts a target on all their backs," she told the Deutsche Welle broadcaster.

Aghakhani said she had not been to Iran since 2022.

That year the death in custody of young Iranian Kurd Mahsa Amini, after she was arrested for allegedly violating the country's strict dress code for women, sparked mass protests. But they were violently crushed by Iran's leadership.

"Among close acquaintances we now think twice before travelling abroad, including to countries in Iran's neighbourhood," she said.

Ayda Hazijadeh, another Franco-Iranian who is a Socialist member of France's parliament, said she had not returned to her home country for a decade.

"I take zero risks. I wouldn't tempt fate," she said.

- 'Hostages' -

Iran, which does not recognize dual citizenship, holds several Europeans in detention, most of them also Iranian.

Rights groups describe them as "hostages" used as leverage in negotiations.

Several Westerners have been released in informal prisoner swaps, but families often feel in the dark about progress in behind-the-scenes talks. Some have accused Western governments of being ineffective.

Germany's Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said the German embassy in Tehran had worked "tirelessly" on Sharmahd's behalf.

But Mariam Claren -- the daughter of German-Iranian Nahid Taghavi who has been held in Iran since 2020 -- charged on X that his "state murder could have been prevented if the German government had really wanted to".

Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam, director of the Norway-based NGO Iran Human Rights, called on the international community to condemn the "extrajudicial killing".

According to IHR, at least 627 people have been executed this year by Iran.

NGOs outside Iran accuse Tehran of using capital punishment as a tool to instil fear.

The execution came days after Israel carried out air strikes on military sites in Iran as Middle East tensions soar.

Hazijadeh, the lawmaker, said the reason for the timing of the execution was unclear. "There are so many regional, international issues at stake," she said.

"I don't think the hostages have been abandoned. States are doing their best, but it's extremely difficult to negotiate with the Iranian regime."



Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
TT

Türkiye Pleased with Alignment Steps by Syria, Kurdish Forces, Erdogan Says

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan delivers a speech during the opening ceremony of male and female dormitories at Bogazici University, in Istanbul, Türkiye, February 13, 2026. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said he is pleased to see steps taken in neighbouring Syria to integrate the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) into state structures, after a US-backed ceasefire deal late last month between the sides.

In a readout on Wednesday of his comments to reporters on a return flight from Ethiopia, Erdogan was cited as saying Ankara is closely monitoring the Syrian integration steps and providing guidance on implementing the agreement.

Meanwhile, a Turkish parliamentary commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve a report envisaging legal reforms alongside the militant Kurdistan Workers Party's (PKK) disarmament, advancing a peace process meant to end decades of conflict.

The PKK - designated a terrorist organization by Türkiye, the United States and European Union - halted attacks last year and said it would disarm and disband, calling on Ankara to take steps to let its members participate in politics.

The roughly 60-page report proposes a roadmap for the parliament to enact laws, including a conditional legal framework that urges the judiciary to review legislation and comply with European Court of Human Rights and Constitutional Court rulings.

The pro-Kurdish DEM Party, which has been closely involved in the process and held several meetings with PKK leader Abdullah Ocalan in prison, objected to the report's presentation of the Kurdish issue as a terrorism problem but generally welcomed the report and called for rapid implementation.

“We believe legal regulations must be enacted quickly,” senior DEM lawmaker Gulistan Kilic Kocyigit told Reuters. Parts of the report offered “a very important roadmap for the advancement of this process," she said.

Erdogan signaled that the legislative process would begin straight away. “Now, discussions will begin in our parliament regarding the legal aspects of the process,” he said.


Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.