Two Men Charged over Attack on British-Iranian Journalist

A general view of the Canary Wharf financial district is pictured in London, Britain, September 30, 2022. REUTERS/Maja Smiejkowska/File Photo
A general view of the Canary Wharf financial district is pictured in London, Britain, September 30, 2022. REUTERS/Maja Smiejkowska/File Photo
TT
20

Two Men Charged over Attack on British-Iranian Journalist

A general view of the Canary Wharf financial district is pictured in London, Britain, September 30, 2022. REUTERS/Maja Smiejkowska/File Photo
A general view of the Canary Wharf financial district is pictured in London, Britain, September 30, 2022. REUTERS/Maja Smiejkowska/File Photo

British prosecutors said on Thursday they had authorized charges to be brought against two Romanian men over the stabbing of a journalist working for a Persian language media organization in London in March.

Pouria Zeraati, a British-Iranian journalist who works for Iran International, sustained leg injuries after being stabbed near his home in Wimbledon, southwest London.

Counter-terrorism police have led the investigation into the attack over concerns he had been targeted because of his job at the Persian language television news network, which is critical of Iran's government.

Britain's Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said Nandito Badea, 19, and George Stana, 23, had been arrested in Romania on Wednesday and charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, and wounding.
"They have both now appeared in a Romanian court for the start of extradition proceedings," a CPS spokesperson said. "We continue to work closely with Romanian authorities, to ensure that our extradition request is progressed through the courts."
British police, security officials and politicians have issued a number of warnings about what they say is Iran's growing use of criminal proxies to carry out attacks abroad.
In December last year, an Austrian man was convicted in Britain of collecting information that could be used in an attack after he was accused of carrying out "hostile reconnaissance" on Iran International's London headquarters.
The following month, Britain imposed sanctions on Iranian officials it said were involved in threats to kill journalists on British soil.
The UK's domestic spy chief, Ken McCallum, said in October that since January 2022 his MI5 service and the police had responded to 20 Iranian-backed plots, which potentially posed lethal threats to UK citizens and residents.
Iran rejected those accusations and accused Britain of hosting what it called terrorist groups.
"We're happy for Pouria, who suffered the attack," Reuters quoted Adam Baillie, a spokesperson for Iran International, as saying. "And we're delighted that the UK police investigation into the attack has progressed to this stage. It is reassuring for our journalists, as for others in organizations under similar threat."



Netanyahu Expected to Talk Tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, Officials Say

US President Donald Trump welcomes Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the entrance of the White House in Washington, US, February 4, 2025. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File photo
US President Donald Trump welcomes Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the entrance of the White House in Washington, US, February 4, 2025. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File photo
TT
20

Netanyahu Expected to Talk Tariffs with Trump in Washington on Monday, Officials Say

US President Donald Trump welcomes Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the entrance of the White House in Washington, US, February 4, 2025. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File photo
US President Donald Trump welcomes Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at the entrance of the White House in Washington, US, February 4, 2025. REUTERS/Leah Millis/File photo

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is expected to visit the White House on Monday to discuss recently announced tariffs with US President Donald Trump, three Israeli officials said on Saturday.

The impromptu visit was first reported by Axios, which said that if the visit takes place, the Israeli leader would be the first foreign leader to meet with Trump in person to try to negotiate a deal to remove tariffs.

Netanyahu's office has not confirmed the visit, that would likely also include discussions on Iran and Israel's war against Hamas in Gaza.

The surprise invite by Trump came in a phone-call on Thursday with Netanyahu, who is presently on a visit to Hungary, when the Israeli leader raised the tariff issue, according to the Israeli officials who spoke on condition of anonymity, Reuters reported.

As part of a sweeping new tariff policy announced by Trump, unspecified Israeli goods exports to the United States face a 17% tariff. The US is Israel's closest ally and largest single trading partner.

An Israeli finance ministry official said on Thursday that Trump's latest tariff announcement could impact Israel's exports of machinery and medical equipment.

Israel had already moved to cancel its remaining tariffs on US imports on Tuesday. The two countries signed a free trade agreement 40 years ago and about 98% of goods from the US are now tax-free.