Syrians in Germany Worried by Some Politicians’ Eagerness for Them to Go Home after Assad’s Fall

Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)
Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)
TT

Syrians in Germany Worried by Some Politicians’ Eagerness for Them to Go Home after Assad’s Fall

Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)
Anas Modamani, 27 a Syrian refugee in Germany, shows his famous selfie with German Chancellor Angela Merkel he took after his arrival in the country, in a Syrian restaurant in Berlin, Tuesday, Dec. 10, 2024. (AP)

Nearly a decade after he arrived in Germany from Syria and took a selfie with then-Chancellor Angela Merkel, Anas Modamani has finished his university studies and has a German passport.

He’s less positive about some German politicians’ reactions to the fall of Bashar al-Assad, which was followed within hours by the first talk of Syrians returning.

"Berlin has become my second home, I will definitely stay here," Modamani said Tuesday. "I managed it" — a reference to Merkel's famous slogan "We will manage it," coined as Germany faced the challenge of integrating hundreds of thousands of migrants.

As Syrians took to the streets of Berlin Sunday, far-right leader Alice Weidel wrote on social platform X that anyone celebrating a "free Syria" in Germany "evidently no longer has a reason to flee. He should return to Syria immediately."

With a German election approaching and the government under longstanding pressure to reduce irregular migration, some mainstream opposition politicians also appeared eager to kickstart the return of Syrians.

On Monday, prominent conservative lawmaker Jens Spahn suggested on n-tv television the government could say that "for everyone who wants to go back to Syria, we will charter planes for them, they will get a starting fund of 1,000 euros ($1,055)." He stressed, though, that it will take time before it's clear whether things have stabilized.

Such ideas strike Syrians as indecently hasty. Modamani, a 27-year-old from Damascus who came to Germany in 2015, said he was "shocked" by reports of the 1,000-euro proposal.

"I think that’s a terrible idea," he said as he sat over lunch with Syrian friends at a Berlin restaurant. "The situation in Syria is still just as dangerous as before."

Modamani, who finished his studies in business communication, illustrates what German officials acknowledge is the successful integration of many Syrians. A deputy interior minister, Juliane Seifert, said Syrians are "a group that has significantly above-average educational qualifications," among them many doctors.

The number of Syrians gaining German citizenship has risen from 6,700 in 2020 to 75,500 last year, when they were the biggest single group and accounted for 38% of all naturalizations.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann, whose conservative party has talked tough on migration, said Tuesday that many Syrian refugees are now "superbly integrated in our country, have a job and are urgently needed here" and no one is thinking of getting such people to leave Germany.

"Those who have already integrated well are still cordially welcome," Herrmann told Deutschlandfunk radio Tuesday. "But it is clear that there are also people who have been here for 10 years and don’t have a job and haven’t integrated well, and then it’s right to help them return to their homeland" if Syria stabilizes.

It's not surprising that hopes of a more stable Syria raise hopes in Germany of reducing immigration. Official figures show that, at the end of October, there were nearly 975,000 Syrian nationals in Germany, a country of 83 million. The majority had some kind of refugee or other protected status.

On Monday, Germany and a string of other European countries announced that they were suspending decisions on Syrians' asylum applications as they wait for the situation in Syria to become clearer. Over 47,000 cases are pending in Germany, one of the main destinations for Syrians outside the Middle East.

Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said that is the right thing to do, but it would be "unserious to speculate in such a volatile situation" about the eventual return of Syrians.

Among those who will face a longer wait is Basil Khalil, a 26-year-old Kurdish Syrian who said he applied for asylum Monday after crossing from Türkiye into Bulgaria and traveling to Germany on the back of a truck. Khalil said he spent the last nine years as a refugee in Türkiye, but was worried that Turkish authorities may soon start deporting Syrians.

"I applied for asylum in Germany because I’m afraid that back in Syria I may get drafted as a soldier," he told The Associated Press as his cousin translated for him.

"But if the German government will deport me, then I guess I will go back," Khalil said. "We Syrians have been through so much suffering, all we want to do is survive."

Tarek Alaows, a spokesperson for pro-refugee group Pro Asyl, said that "many from the Syrian community naturally want to return ... Many want to participate in the reconstruction. But they must not be forced to leave the country" for a still-unstable Syria.

Alaows, 35, who fled Damascus in 2015 and became a German citizen over three years ago, said many Syrians in Germany were concerned to hear public calls so soon for the quick return of Syrians.

"These debates that are going on right now — nobody needs them," he said.

Yamn Molhem, who arrived 10 years ago, sees it the same way. The 39-year-old father of four now manages the Aldimashqi restaurant on Berlin’s Sonnenallee boulevard, known for its many Arabic stores and businesses.

"All of my family has left Aleppo, and the situation in Syria is generally very unstable," he said.

Molhem said he is applying for a German passport, proudly adding that his youngest son already has one.

"They can’t deport our family," said, "My son is German."

In general, Molhem said, Germans should think twice before they even consider sending back Syrians who work, pay taxes and help keep the economy running.

"Syrians don’t just sleep here," he said.



Russia Hits Ukraine's Oil, Gas Infrastructure in Poltava Region, Naftogaz Says

FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
TT

Russia Hits Ukraine's Oil, Gas Infrastructure in Poltava Region, Naftogaz Says

FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo

Russian drones hit Ukraine's oil and gas infrastructure in the central Poltava region, causing ‌damage ‌and a ‌fire, ⁠the state energy company ⁠Naftogaz said on Friday.

"This is yet another targeted ⁠attack on ‌our ‌oil and ‌gas infrastructure. ‌Since the beginning of the year, the ‌enemy has attacked Naftogaz Group facilities ⁠more ⁠than 20 times," Sergii Koretskyi, Naftogaz CEO said in a post on Facebook.


Kim Jong Un Vows to Boost Living Standards as He Opens Rare Congress 

This picture taken on February 19, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 20, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivering the opening address at the Ninth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea in Pyongyang. (KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)
This picture taken on February 19, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 20, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivering the opening address at the Ninth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea in Pyongyang. (KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)
TT

Kim Jong Un Vows to Boost Living Standards as He Opens Rare Congress 

This picture taken on February 19, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 20, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivering the opening address at the Ninth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea in Pyongyang. (KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)
This picture taken on February 19, 2026 and released by North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on February 20, 2026 shows North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivering the opening address at the Ninth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea in Pyongyang. (KCNA VIA KNS / AFP)

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un vowed to lift living standards as he opened a landmark congress, state media said Friday, offering a glimpse of economic strains within the sanctions-hit nation.

Supreme Leader Kim took center stage with a speech to start the Workers' Party congress, a gathering that directs state efforts on everything from house building to war planning.

Held just once every five years, the days-long congress offers a rare glimpse into the workings of a nation where even mundane details are shrouded in secrecy.

"Today, our party is faced with heavy and urgent historic tasks of boosting economic construction and the people's standard of living and transforming all realms of state and social life as early as possible," Kim said in his opening speech.

"This requires us to wage a more active and persistent struggle without allowing even a moment's standstill or stagnation."

For decades, nuclear weapons and military prowess came before everything else in North Korea, even as food stocks dried up and famine took hold.

But since assuming power in 2011, Kim has stressed the need to also fortify the impoverished nation's economy.

At the last party congress in 2021, Kim made an extremely rare admission that mistakes had been made in "almost all areas" of economic development.

Analysts believe such language is designed to head off public discontent stirred by food shortages, military spending, and North Korea's continued support for Russia's war effort in Ukraine.

Kim said North Korea had overcome its "worst difficulties" in the last five years, and was now entering a new stage of "optimism and confidence in the future".

North Korea's economy has for years languished under heavy Western sanctions that aim to choke off funding for its nuclear weapons program.

But Pyongyang refuses to surrender its atomic arsenal.

Kim has already declared this year's congress will unveil the next phase in the nation's nuclear weapons program.

- Ruling dynasty -

Thousands of party elites packed the cavernous House of Culture in Pyongyang for the opening day of the congress.

It is just the ninth time the Workers' Party congress has convened under the Kim family's decades-long rule.

The meeting was shelved under Kim's father Kim Jong Il, but was revived in 2016.

Kim Jong Un has spent years stoking his cult of personality in reclusive North Korea, and the congress offers another chance to demonstrate his absolute grip on power.

Footage showed Kim stepping out of a black limousine and striding into the meeting flanked by officials.

Delegates broke into hearty applause as he took his place at the center of the imposing rostrum overlooking proceedings.

Analysts will scour photographs to see which officials are seated closest to Kim, and who is banished to the back row.

Particular attention will be placed on the whereabouts of Kim's teenage daughter Ju Ae, who has emerged as North Korea's heir apparent, according to Seoul's national intelligence service.

- 'Biggest enemy' -

The ruling parties of China and Russia -- North Korea's longtime allies -- sent friendly messages to mark the start of the meeting.

"In recent years, under the strategic guidance of the top leaders of the two parties and two countries, China-DPRK relations have entered a new historical period," said a telegram from the Chinese Communist Party, using the official acronym for North Korea.

Kim appeared alongside China's Xi Jinping and Russia's Vladimir Putin at a military parade in Beijing last year -- a striking display of his elevated status in global politics.

At the previous congress five years ago, Kim declared that the United States was his nation's "biggest enemy".

There is keen interest in whether Kim might use the congress to soften this stance, or double down.

US President Donald Trump stepped up his courtship of Kim during a tour of Asia last year, saying he was "100 percent" open to a meeting.

Kim has so far largely shunned efforts to resume top-level diplomatic dialogue.


Police Search Royal Mansion as Probe Into King's Brother Goes On

British newspapers, featuring coverage of the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, younger brother of Britain's King Charles, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, sit on display in a newsagent in London, Britain, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Jack Taylor
British newspapers, featuring coverage of the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, younger brother of Britain's King Charles, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, sit on display in a newsagent in London, Britain, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Jack Taylor
TT

Police Search Royal Mansion as Probe Into King's Brother Goes On

British newspapers, featuring coverage of the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, younger brother of Britain's King Charles, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, sit on display in a newsagent in London, Britain, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Jack Taylor
British newspapers, featuring coverage of the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, younger brother of Britain's King Charles, on suspicion of misconduct in public office, sit on display in a newsagent in London, Britain, February 20, 2026. REUTERS/Jack Taylor

British police were searching the former mansion of King Charles' younger brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Friday after a photograph of the royal emerging from a police station was splashed on newspapers around the world.

Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday, his 66th birthday, on suspicion of misconduct in public office over allegations he sent confidential government documents to disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein when he was a trade envoy.

The former prince was released under investigation after being held by police for more than 10 hours. He has not been charged with any offence but looked haunted in a Reuters photograph after his release, slumped in the back of ‌a Range Rover, eyes ‌red and with a look of disbelief on his face.

The photograph ‌of ⁠a man who ⁠was once a dashing naval officer and reputed favorite son of the late Queen Elizabeth was carried on the front page of newspapers in Britain and around the world, accompanied by headlines such as "Downfall".

Mountbatten-Windsor has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, a convicted sex offender who took his own life in 2019, and said he regrets their friendship. But the release of millions of documents by the US government showed he had remained friends with Epstein long after the financier was convicted of soliciting prostitution from ⁠a minor in 2008.

Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had forwarded to Epstein British ‌government reports about investment opportunities in Afghanistan and assessments of Vietnam, Singapore ‌and other places he had visited as the government's Special Representative for Trade and Investment.

The arrest of the senior royal, eighth in line to the throne, ‌is unprecedented in modern times. The last member of the royal family to be arrested in Britain was Charles I, who was beheaded in 1649 after being found guilty of treason.

King Charles, who stripped his brother of his title of prince and forced him out of his Windsor home last year, said on Thursday he ‌had learned about the arrest with "deepest concern".

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," the king said. "What now follows is the ⁠full, fair and proper process ⁠by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities."

The news broke early on Thursday morning that six unmarked police cars and around eight plain-clothed officers had arrived at Wood Farm on the king's Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England, where Mountbatten-Windsor now resides.

Thames Valley Police officers also searched the mansion on the king's Windsor estate west of London where Mountbatten-Windsor had lived before being forced out amid anger at the Epstein revelations.

Officers said late on Thursday that the royal had been released under investigation. They said the searches at Sandringham had concluded but the searches in Windsor were continuing.

While being arrested means that police have reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed and that the royal is suspected of involvement in an offence, it does not imply guilt.

A conviction for misconduct in a public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment, and cases must be dealt with in a Crown Court, which handles the most serious criminal offences.