Boat Fleeing Rebel Offensive Capsizes in Congo, Killing 22

Congolese Red Cross members bury in a mass grave the body bags containing the remains of victims killed in the recent clashes between M23 rebels and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), at the Musigoko cemetery in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 20, 2025. REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge
Congolese Red Cross members bury in a mass grave the body bags containing the remains of victims killed in the recent clashes between M23 rebels and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), at the Musigoko cemetery in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 20, 2025. REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge
TT
20

Boat Fleeing Rebel Offensive Capsizes in Congo, Killing 22

Congolese Red Cross members bury in a mass grave the body bags containing the remains of victims killed in the recent clashes between M23 rebels and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), at the Musigoko cemetery in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 20, 2025. REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge
Congolese Red Cross members bury in a mass grave the body bags containing the remains of victims killed in the recent clashes between M23 rebels and the Armed Forces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (FARDC), at the Musigoko cemetery in Bukavu, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo February 20, 2025. REUTERS/Victoire Mukenge

A boat carrying people fleeing the ongoing rebel advance in eastern Congo has capsized, killing 22 people, authorities said Thursday.
The boat was carrying people from Vitshumbi on the southern shore of Lake Edward towards Virunga National Park on the northern side of the lake when it capsized late Wednesday, said Delphin Malekani, the president of the local civil society in Kyavinonge.
The majority of victims were people fleeing the ongoing advance of Rwanda-backed M23 rebels, The Associated Press reported. Authorities didn't immediately say what caused the boat to capsize. There were eight survivors, officials said.
M23 is the most prominent of more than 100 armed groups vying for control of eastern Congo’s mineral wealth. The rebels are supported by about 4,000 troops from neighboring Rwanda, according to UN experts, and at times have vowed to march as far as Congo’s capital, Kinshasa, more than 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) away.
This week, the rebels seized another provincial capital in Goma’s south, Bukavu, near Burundi. The region is rich in gold and coltan, a key mineral for the production of capacitors used in most consumer electronics such as laptops and smartphones.
Analysts have said the rebels are eyeing political power, unlike their brief capture of Goma, a major security and humanitarian hub, in 2012.
The rebel-appointed mayor of Goma said Tuesday they would carry out a census, in a sign of their intention to maintain control of the city. And ferry service resumed between Goma and Bukavu, the only way to travel between the two locations for now.
Situated on the border with Uganda, ferry service has been banned on Lake Edward since March of last year, but as people flee the rapid M23 advance, some have turned to unreliable and dangerous illegal ferry services. Hundreds have already been killed or declared missing in capsizings so far this year.
The capsizing of overloaded boats is also becoming increasingly frequent in the central African nation as more people are choosing to travel in unsafe wooden vessels instead of by road because of security reasons.
The roads are often caught up in the deadly clashes between Congolese security forces and rebels that sometimes block major access routes.



10 Dead as Landslide Hits Passing Cars on Indonesia's Java Island

Rescuers search for victims after a rain-triggered landslide hit passing cars on a road in Mojokerto, East Java, Indonesia, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo)
Rescuers search for victims after a rain-triggered landslide hit passing cars on a road in Mojokerto, East Java, Indonesia, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo)
TT
20

10 Dead as Landslide Hits Passing Cars on Indonesia's Java Island

Rescuers search for victims after a rain-triggered landslide hit passing cars on a road in Mojokerto, East Java, Indonesia, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo)
Rescuers search for victims after a rain-triggered landslide hit passing cars on a road in Mojokerto, East Java, Indonesia, Friday, April 4, 2025. (AP Photo)

Indonesian rescuers recovered 10 bodies after a landslide struck vehicles on a hilly road on the country’s main island of Java, police said Friday.
Torrential rains pushed mud, rocks and trees down the mountainside road on Thursday, burying a van with seven people aboard and a pickup truck with three traders and full of vegetables near Watu Lumpang, a resort area in East Java’s Mojokerto district, said local police chief Andi Yudha Pranata.
According to The Associated Press, Pranata said rescuers pulled out the body of the van’s driver late Thursday and his six family members, including three children, wife and parents, were retrieved on Friday, together with the bodies of the three traders.
Footage released by East Java’s Search and Rescue Agency showed the road covered by thick mud, rocks and uprooted trees.
Seasonal rains from about October to April frequently cause flooding and landslides in Indonesia, a vast archipelago of 17,000 islands where millions of people live in mountainous areas or near fertile flood plains.