Ugandan Army Deploys to Town in Northeast DR Congo

Members of the M23 movement drive on the back of a pick-up truck in Bukavu on March 1, 2025. (AFP)
Members of the M23 movement drive on the back of a pick-up truck in Bukavu on March 1, 2025. (AFP)
TT
20

Ugandan Army Deploys to Town in Northeast DR Congo

Members of the M23 movement drive on the back of a pick-up truck in Bukavu on March 1, 2025. (AFP)
Members of the M23 movement drive on the back of a pick-up truck in Bukavu on March 1, 2025. (AFP)

The Ugandan army confirmed Sunday it has sent troops to another town in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo to fight local armed groups, amid fears a raging conflict could spiral into a wider war.

"Our troops have entered Mahagi town and we are in control," Uganda's defense and military affairs spokesman Felix Kulayigye told AFP Sunday.

The deployment was requested by the Congolese army following alleged massacres of civilians carried out by a militia known as the Cooperative for the Development of Congo (Codeco), he said, without providing further details.

Mahagi is in Ituri province, which borders Uganda, where at least 51 people were killed on February 10 by armed men affiliated with Codeco, according to humanitarian and local sources.

Codeco claims it defends the interests of the Lendu community, mainly composed of farmers, against the Hema community, mainly herders.

Uganda already has thousands of troops in other parts of Ituri under an agreement with the Congolese government.

Last month, Uganda announced its troops had "taken control" of the provincial capital, Bunia.

Ituri is just north of the provinces of North and South Kivu, which at the end of January fell under the control of the anti-government M23 armed group, which is backed by neighboring Rwanda.

Analysts fear that Uganda and Rwanda's growing presence in eastern DRC could lead to a repeat of the so-called Second Congo War, which lasted from 1998 to 2003, involving many African countries and resulting in millions of deaths from violence, disease and famine.



Two British Lawmakers Detained by Israel Return Home, Criticize Decision

A Palestinian flag is pictured during a symbolic funeral procession in solidarity with the people killed in Gaza and the West Bank, in Berlin, Germany, 06 April 2025. (EPA)
A Palestinian flag is pictured during a symbolic funeral procession in solidarity with the people killed in Gaza and the West Bank, in Berlin, Germany, 06 April 2025. (EPA)
TT
20

Two British Lawmakers Detained by Israel Return Home, Criticize Decision

A Palestinian flag is pictured during a symbolic funeral procession in solidarity with the people killed in Gaza and the West Bank, in Berlin, Germany, 06 April 2025. (EPA)
A Palestinian flag is pictured during a symbolic funeral procession in solidarity with the people killed in Gaza and the West Bank, in Berlin, Germany, 06 April 2025. (EPA)

Two British members of parliament who were refused entry to Israel have returned to London after attempting to visit the West Bank on a fact-finding trip, they said on Sunday.

Abtisam Mohamed and Yuan Yang from Britain's governing Labor Party were travelling as part of a parliamentary delegation, but were stopped at the border on the grounds that they intended to provoke anti-Israel activities, according to the Israeli embassy in Britain.

The blocking of their visit marks the latest in a series of attempts by Israel to restrict entry of foreign lawmakers and dignitaries who have criticized the country's policies.

"We're astounded at the unprecedented step taken by the Israeli authorities to refuse British MPs entry on our trip to visit the occupied West Bank," Mohamed and Yang said in a joint statement.

"It is vital that parliamentarians are able to witness, firsthand the situation in the occupied Palestinian territory."

The Israeli embassy in London said the interior ministry had a duty to prevent entry to people who intended to cause the state harm.

"These individuals had accused Israel of false claims, were actively involved in promoting sanctions against Israeli ministers, and supported campaigns aimed at boycotting the State of Israel," the embassy said.

In their statement on Sunday, Mohamed and Yang said they had spoken out in Britain's parliament about the conflict between Israel and Palestine and the importance of complying with international law.

"Parliamentarians should feel free to speak truthfully in the House of Commons, without fear of being targeted," they said.

In November, Mohamed asked Britain's government if it would review its relationship with Israel in light of "atrocities taking place in Gaza, the West Bank and in Lebanon".

Yang had told parliament it was important that Britain proceeded with sanctions against Israeli government officials.

Britain's Foreign Secretary David Lammy said the detention of lawmakers Mohamed and Yang was no way to treat parliamentarians.

Israel has previously stopped members of the European Parliament and US Congress from entering the country.

In October, Israel's foreign minister said he was barring UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres from entering the country because he had not "unequivocally" condemned a missile attack by Iran on Israel.