UN Official Urges Funding to Support 123 Million Displaced People Worldwide

Khaled Khalifa, Senior Advisor to the High Commissioner and UNHCR Representative to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Khaled Khalifa, Senior Advisor to the High Commissioner and UNHCR Representative to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries (Asharq Al-Awsat)
TT

UN Official Urges Funding to Support 123 Million Displaced People Worldwide

Khaled Khalifa, Senior Advisor to the High Commissioner and UNHCR Representative to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries (Asharq Al-Awsat)
Khaled Khalifa, Senior Advisor to the High Commissioner and UNHCR Representative to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries (Asharq Al-Awsat)

A senior United Nations official has issued an urgent appeal for funding to address the worsening humanitarian crisis faced by displaced people worldwide. The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) is seeking $10.248 billion from donors to support refugees and forcibly displaced individuals in 2025.

Khaled Khalifa, Senior Advisor to the High Commissioner and UNHCR Representative to the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) countries, told Asharq Al-Awsat: “With forced displacement reaching unprecedented levels—123 million people worldwide—securing these funds is crucial to responding to both emerging conflicts and prolonged crises.”

So far, donor governments have pledged $1.143 billion, with an additional $355 million from private sector partners. This brings the total to $1.5 billion—just 15% of the required funding for 2025.

UNHCR is coordinating with governments, host countries, international organizations, and local partners to meet the immense needs of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs). Khalifa emphasized the agency’s efforts to secure resources for essential services, including shelter, food, water, healthcare, and education. “We rely on inter-agency response plans to support host governments in providing protection and assistance to both refugees and their host communities,” he added.

By mid-2024, the number of forcibly displaced people worldwide had surpassed 122.6 million, marking a 5% increase (5.3 million people) compared to the end of 2023. Among them are 43.7 million refugees and 72.1 million internally displaced persons.

Khalifa pointed to Sudan as one of the most pressing crises, where ongoing conflict has displaced over 8.9 million people internally and forced 3.4 million to flee to neighboring countries. “For over 12 years, the number of forcibly displaced people has continued to rise. By June 2024, one in every 67 people worldwide was forcibly displaced—nearly double the rate from a decade ago, when it was one in 114.”

The UN official attributed the growing number of displaced individuals to escalating wars and conflicts, such as those in Ukraine and Sudan, with no clear political solutions in sight. Additionally, long-standing displacement crises—such as those involving Rohingya refugees, Afghan refugees, and the Syrian conflict—continue to force millions from their homes.

He highlighted the ongoing war between Sudan’s armed forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF), describing it as a “bloody conflict” that has driven hundreds of thousands from their homes. UNHCR is calling on all parties to reach a political resolution to prevent further humanitarian suffering.

Khalifa stressed that continued fighting is worsening the humanitarian crisis, pushing more people into desperate conditions. He reiterated UNHCR’s call for safe passage for civilians fleeing conflict zones, ensuring they can seek refuge either within their own countries or abroad. “It is essential to guarantee protection from all forms of violence,” he said.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.