Araghchi: Iran Ready for Any Scenario, but War Is Unlikely

Araghchi (center) speaks during a meeting with Iranian Red Crescent officials (IRNA).
Araghchi (center) speaks during a meeting with Iranian Red Crescent officials (IRNA).
TT
20

Araghchi: Iran Ready for Any Scenario, but War Is Unlikely

Araghchi (center) speaks during a meeting with Iranian Red Crescent officials (IRNA).
Araghchi (center) speaks during a meeting with Iranian Red Crescent officials (IRNA).

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has dismissed the possibility of war with the United States, asserting that Iran’s high level of military preparedness serves as a deterrent to any external threats. However, he emphasized that Tehran remains fully prepared for any scenario, including military confrontation.
Iran’s official IRNA news agency quoted Araghchi as saying that the armed forces, emergency response units, government, and people “are all on high alert.” He added that Iran’s state of readiness makes any attack against the country highly unlikely, as potential aggressors understand the severe consequences.
“I am confident there will be no war, because we are fully prepared for such a scenario,” he stated.
Later, speaking to reporters, Araghchi reiterated that Iran would not engage in direct negotiations with the US under the current “maximum pressure” campaign.
“Our policy is clear: no direct negotiations with Washington under threats and sanctions,” he said. “Unless there is a fundamental shift in their approach, Iran’s position will not change.”
He added that while Iran does not rule out diplomacy, direct talks remain off the table unless the US abandons its pressure tactics. “Despite keeping the door open for indirect dialogue, we will not miss any opportunity that serves our national interests,” he noted.
This month, Tehran received a message from US President Donald Trump, reportedly giving Iran a two-month deadline to decide between entering new negotiations or facing possible military action.
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, who has the final say on foreign policy and the nuclear program, rejected the proposal, calling it deceptive. He warned that talks with the Trump administration would only lead to harsher sanctions and increased pressure on Iran.
In a televised interview on Thursday, Araghchi described Trump’s message as a mix of threats and opportunities, adding that Tehran would respond in due course.
Iranian media previously quoted Araghchi as saying that Iran’s current strategy prioritizes indirect negotiations with the US. His comments were made during a press interview on March 13.
Araghchi explained that Iran’s stance is based on past experiences and present realities. “Given the current conditions, direct talks with the US are impossible unless certain key factors change,” he said.
Regarding Khamenei’s opposition to negotiations, Araghchi noted that the Supreme Leader sees no logical justification for direct talks while Washington continues its maximum pressure strategy.
“We have always sought to avoid war,” Araghchi said. “We are prepared for it and do not fear it, but we do not seek it either.”
He emphasized that Iran’s foreign policy is centered on diplomacy and de-escalation, except in cases where military confrontation becomes unavoidable.

 



A Week after Catastrophic Earthquake, Focus Turns to a Growing Humanitarian Crisis in Myanmar

Rescue workers look on as heavy machinery clears the rubble at the site of an under-construction building collapse in Bangkok on March 30, 2025, two days after an earthquake struck central Myanmar and Thailand. (Photo by MANAN VATSYAYANA / AFP)
Rescue workers look on as heavy machinery clears the rubble at the site of an under-construction building collapse in Bangkok on March 30, 2025, two days after an earthquake struck central Myanmar and Thailand. (Photo by MANAN VATSYAYANA / AFP)
TT
20

A Week after Catastrophic Earthquake, Focus Turns to a Growing Humanitarian Crisis in Myanmar

Rescue workers look on as heavy machinery clears the rubble at the site of an under-construction building collapse in Bangkok on March 30, 2025, two days after an earthquake struck central Myanmar and Thailand. (Photo by MANAN VATSYAYANA / AFP)
Rescue workers look on as heavy machinery clears the rubble at the site of an under-construction building collapse in Bangkok on March 30, 2025, two days after an earthquake struck central Myanmar and Thailand. (Photo by MANAN VATSYAYANA / AFP)

Search teams pulled more bodies from the ruins of buildings on Friday, a week after a massive earthquake rocked Myanmar killing more than 3,100 people, as the focus turns toward the urgent humanitarian needs in a country that was already devastated by civil war.

United Nations humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher, who is also the emergency relief coordinator, was to arrive Friday in an effort to spur action following the quake. Ahead of his visit, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres appealed to the international community to immediately step up funding for quake victims "to match the scale of this crisis," and he urged unimpeded access to reach those in need.

"The earthquake has supercharged the suffering with the monsoon season just around the corner," he said Thursday.

Myanmar authorities said Thursday that 3,145 people had been killed, with another 4,589 people injured and 221 missing, and did not immediately update the figures on Friday.

Britain, which had already given $13 million to purchase emergency items like food, water and shelter, pledged an additional $6.5 million in funds to match an appeal from Myanmar's Disasters Emergency Committee, according to the UK Embassy in Yangon.

Many international search and rescue teams were also on the scene, and eight medical crews from China, Thailand, Japan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, the Philippines, Indonesia and Russia were operating in Naypyitaw, according to Myanmar's military-run government. Another five teams from India, Russia, Laos and Nepal and Singapore were helping in the Mandalay region, while teams from Russia, Malaysia and the ASEAN bloc of nations were assisting in the Sagaing region.

The Trump administration has pledged $2 million in emergency aid and sent a three-person team to assess how best to respond given drastic cuts to US foreign assistance.

On Friday, five bodies were recovered from the rubble in the capital Naypyitaw and the second-largest city of Mandalay, near the epicenter of the 7.7 magnitude earthquake March 28, authorities said. The last reported rescue came Wednesday, some 125 hours after the quake struck, when a man was saved from the wreckage of a hotel in Mandalay.

The quake also shook neighboring Thailand, bringing down a high-rise under construction in Bangkok, where recovery work continued Friday. Overall, 22 people have been found dead and 35 injured in Bangkok, primarily from the construction site.

Myanmar´s military seized power in 2021 from the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi, sparking what has turned into a civil war.

The quake worsened an already dire humanitarian crisis, with more than 3 million people displaced from their homes and nearly 20 million in need even before it hit, according to the United Nations.

As concerns grew that ongoing fighting could hamper humanitarian aid efforts, the military declared a temporary ceasefire Wednesday, through April 22. The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule.

On Thursday, however, there were renewed airstrikes in Kayah state, also known as Karenni, in eastern Myanmar, according to witnesses.

The military has said that it would still take "necessary" measures against resistance groups, if they use the ceasefire to regroup, train or launch attacks, and the groups have said they reserved the right to defend themselves.