Ben-Gvir Accuses Israel’s Shin Bet Chief of Attempting a ‘Coup’

Police clash with demonstrators during a protest against moves by the Israeli government to fire the Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara and Shin Bet head Ronen Bar in Jerusalem, March 23, 2025. (Reuters)
Police clash with demonstrators during a protest against moves by the Israeli government to fire the Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara and Shin Bet head Ronen Bar in Jerusalem, March 23, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Ben-Gvir Accuses Israel’s Shin Bet Chief of Attempting a ‘Coup’

Police clash with demonstrators during a protest against moves by the Israeli government to fire the Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara and Shin Bet head Ronen Bar in Jerusalem, March 23, 2025. (Reuters)
Police clash with demonstrators during a protest against moves by the Israeli government to fire the Attorney General Gali Baharav-Miara and Shin Bet head Ronen Bar in Jerusalem, March 23, 2025. (Reuters)

Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir on Monday lashed out at Shin Bet head Ronen Bar and accused him of spying on him and on the heads of the Israel Prison Service and Israel Police in order to launch a “coup.”

For the past weeks, Israel has been mired with political disputes between Bar and the hardliners in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government, which voted to oust the Shin Bet chief.

Israel's Supreme Court has frozen the government's dismissal of head of the country's internal security service.

The rift between the two sides deepened when Israeli media said last Sunday that the Shin Bet conducted a covert inquiry into the possible infiltration of extreme-right elements into the Israel Police following suspected political meddling in the force by Ben-Gvir, who is in charge of the police.

The Shin Bet’s investigation began in September, a Channel 12 news report said, presenting what it said was a typed note dated September 26, 2024, from Bar in which he said that the agency had “marked the infiltration of Kahanism into the law enforcement agencies as a dangerous phenomenon whose prevention is part of the Shin Bet’s mission.”

In his note, Bar gave instructions “to collect evidence and testimony of the involvement of political elements” in law enforcement work and specifically for “unlawfully exerting force,” the report added.

Ahead of his far-right Otzma Yehudit party’s weekly faction meeting in the Knesset on Monday, Ben-Gvir said that Bar should be incarcerated.

“Ronen Bar conspired against the democratic state, he ordered the collection of incriminating information against a government minister. He is a criminal, a danger to democracy, and he belongs in prison,” Ben-Gvir said.

“It’s no longer a question of impeachment; Ronen Bar should sit in prison,” he added. “In any normal country, he’d be in solitary confinement right now on suspicion of attempting a coup.”

On Monday, Netanyahu’s office quickly said it was unaware of the investigation and had not ordered the Shin Bet chief to conduct a secret probe against Ben-Gvir.

In a statement, it said, “The prime minister was never informed by the Shin Bet chief that he intended to collect evidence on the political echelon behind his back,” adding that the premier “did not give permission for this.”

In return, the Shin Bet denied there had been any investigation against the police or politicians, but it did not rule out that the agency was looking into the matter.

According to Ynet news, Bar told Netanyahu last June about his suspicions about the infiltration of far-right Kahanist figures into the police.

“The prime minister unequivocally instructed the Shin Bet chief to present to him support for this claim, to raise it directly and immediately with the national security minister, and in no way to act behind the minister’s back,” it said.

Bar told ministers on Sunday night that the ongoing accusations against him would lead them to execute him, according to quotes reported by Channel 12. “Yesterday you accused me of treason, today you are threatening to send me to jail, tomorrow you will execute me,” he said.

Last Thursday, Israeli police deployed a water cannon and made several arrests as protests against Netanyahu's move to oust the head of the domestic intelligence service flared.

Meanwhile, the High Court of Justice on Sunday set April 8 as the date to hear petitions against the government’s decision to fire Bar.



UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
TT

UK Foreign Minister to Meet Rubio amid Tensions over Joint Air Base

British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon
British Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper, president of the United Nations Security Council for February speaks during a press conference before the Security Council meeting, at UN headquarters in New York City, US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Jeenah Moon

Britain's foreign minister Yvette Cooper ‌will meet with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Friday, after President Donald Trump renewed his criticism of London for ceding sovereignty of ​the Chagos Islands, which is home to a US-UK air base.
Last year, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer agreed a deal to transfer sovereignty of the Indian Ocean islands to Mauritius, while keeping control of one - Diego Garcia - through a 99-year lease that preserved US operations at the base, Reuters said.
Washington last year gave its blessing to the agreement, but Trump has since ‌changed his mind ‌several times. In January, Trump described it ​as ‌an ⁠act ​of "great stupidity", ⁠but earlier this month said he understood the deal was the best Starmer could make, before then renewing his criticism this week.
Cooper is meeting Rubio to discuss defense and security issues in Washington as Trump also toughens his rhetoric on Iran, saying Tehran must make a deal over its nuclear program in the ⁠next 10 to 15 days, or "really bad ‌things" will happen.
The Diego Garcia ‌base has recently been used for ​operations in the Middle East against ‌Yemen's Houthis and in humanitarian aid to Gaza.
Although on Tuesday ‌Rubio's State Department said it backed the Chagos accord, the next day Trump said Britain was making a big mistake.
"DO NOT GIVE AWAY DIEGO GARCIA!" Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social, saying the ‌base could be called upon in any future military operation to "eradicate a potential attack" from ⁠Iran.
Under the ⁠conditions for using the joint base, Britain would need to agree in advance to any operations out of Diego Garcia.
On Thursday, Britain's The Times newspaper reported that Trump's latest criticism of the Chagos deal came because Britain was yet to give permission to use the bases for future strikes against Iran, owing to concerns they may breach international law.
Asked about The Times report, Britain's Ministry of Defence said on Thursday it does not comment on operational matters and that Britain supported ​the ongoing political process between ​the US and Iran.


Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Turkish Police Detain Deutsche Welle Journalist over Social Media Posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Turkish police have detained investigative journalist Alican Uludag on suspicion of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and spreading misinformation, sparking outrage among journalism groups.
Uludag, who works for German broadcaster Deutsche Welle’s Turkish service, was taken from his home in Ankara late Thursday as part of an investigation into social media posts. The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office said he is suspected of “insulting the president” and “disseminating misleading information.”
The journalist, whose reporting focuses mainly on the judiciary and on corruption cases, was later transferred to Istanbul for questioning.
His detention drew sharp condemnation from press freedom advocates, who described it as an attack on media independence and democratic norms, The Associated Press said.
Deutsche Welle’s director‑general, Barbara Massing, demanded his release, calling the arrest “a deliberate act of intimidation.”
On Friday, journalists gathered outside Istanbul’s Çaglayan Courthouse to protest Uludag’s detention and to call for his immediate release.
The advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders considers Türkiye to be one of the most repressive countries for journalists, nothing that most media organizations are under government control and journalists face frequent legal pressure or intimidation.
At least 14 journalists or media sector workers are currently in prison, according to the Turkish Journalists Syndicate.


South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
TT

South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)

Former ‌South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol apologized on Friday for his short-lived declaration of martial law in December 2024, a day after a Seoul court sentenced him to life in prison for masterminding an insurrection.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Yoon said that while he was sorry for the "frustration and hardship" brought upon the people by his martial law decree, he stood behind the "sincerity and purpose" behind his actions.

The Seoul Central District Court's decision ‌to hand him ‌a life sentence on Thursday was "predetermined," he ‌said, ⁠adding that the verdict ⁠against him was political retaliation.

"Forces that seek to smear a decision made to save the nation as an 'insurrection' and to use it beyond political attacks as an opportunity to purge and eliminate their opponents will only grow more rampant going forward," he said.

Yoon also questioned ⁠whether an appeal would have meaning ‌in what he described as an ‌environment where judicial independence could not be guaranteed, while telling ‌supporters to "unite and rise."

His lawyers separately said the statement ‌did not amount to an intention to forgo an appeal.

Yoon's martial law declaration lasted around six hours before being voted down by parliament, but it sent shockwaves through the country and ‌sparked street protests.

The court found Yoon guilty of subverting constitutional order by deploying troops ⁠to storm ⁠parliament and move to detain opponents, capping a dramatic fall that saw him stripped of office and end up behind bars.

Yoon, a former career prosecutor, denied the charges, arguing he had presidential authority to declare martial law and his action was aimed at sounding the alarm over opposition parties' obstruction of government.

A special prosecutor had sought the death penalty for Yoon, though South Korea has not carried out an execution since 1997.

A prosecutor said on Thursday the team had some "regret" over the sentencing, but declined to say whether they planned to appeal.