New US-Iran Agreement Stricter Than 2015 JCPOA

FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)
FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)
TT

New US-Iran Agreement Stricter Than 2015 JCPOA

FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)
FILE - In this photo released by an official website of the office of the Iranian supreme leader, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei speaks in a ceremony meeting a group of officials, in Tehran, Iran, March 8, 2025. (Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader via AP, File)

The US is seeking to ink a new agreement with Iran similar to their 2015 JCPOA but with stricter conditions, including a permanent and structural change in Tehran’s nuclear capabilities.

The deal comes despite pressures imposed by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who seek a “zero enrichment” and a Libya-style deal that dismantles Iran's nuclear infrastructure.

Diplomats from all sides of the negotiations told Reuters on Friday that an initial framework under discussion preserves the core of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) - scrapped by President Donlad Trump in 2018 during his first term.

Eight sources said a deal may not look radically different to the former pact, which Trump called the worst in history, but would extend duration to 25 years, tighten verification, and expand so-called sunset clauses that pause but don't completely dismantle aspects of Iran's nuclear program.

Stricter Deal

Under the terms being discussed, Iran would limit stockpile size and centrifuge types, and dilute, export or seal its 60% uranium stock under unprecedented International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) scrutiny - all in exchange for substantial sanctions relief, all the sources said.

Also, under proposals discussed in rounds of talks in April, Iran would cap enrichment at 3.67%, in line with the JCPOA, all the sources said, including three Iranian officials.

Tehran is also open to granting the IAEA expanded access to its nuclear sites, the Iranian sources said.

A senior regional source close to Tehran said the current debate over Iran's uranium stockpiles centers on whether Iran “will keep a portion of it - diluted - inside the country while sending another portion abroad, possibly to Russia.”

Meanwhile, the Reuters report mentioned several sticking points, mainly related to Washington’s demand to address the Iranian ballistic program, while Iranian officials say their missile development is not up for negotiation.

Another striking point is related to Iran’s refusal to dismantle its entire nuclear infrastructure.

Diplomats said Netanyahu sees a rare opening because last year’s military campaigns crippled Iran’s air defenses, and decimated Hezbollah’s missile arsenal - Tehran’s primary deterrent.

“This is a historic window for Israel to strike Iran's nuclear sites,” said an official in the Middle East.

The United States, he said, opposes such a move for several reasons - chief among them the concerns of Gulf Arab states, which Washington cannot ignore given its deep strategic and economic ties in the region.

Israel is demanding “zero enrichment” and a Libya-style deal that dismantles Iran's nuclear infrastructure.

One regional security official said Washington is pressing to include the ballistic missile program in the talks, but Tehran “continues to reject any discussion.”

He added that the problem is that without addressing the missile issue, Trump cannot claim that the new deal goes beyond the JCPOA.

One Iranian official previously told Reuters it would not go beyond the requirements of the 2015 deal, offering only to avoid building missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads as a “gesture of goodwill.”

Trump Ups Pressure

While Trump further increased the pressure against Iranian oil, US expects new discussions with Iran “in the near future” on Tehran's nuclear program, despite the postponement of those planned for Saturday.

The talks between the two countries, enemies for four decades, aim to conclude a new agreement to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons - an ambition Tehran has always denied having - in exchange for lifting the sanctions that are crippling its economy.

Washington and Tehran were set to meet for a fourth round of negotiations on Saturday in Rome, after both parties reported progress in previous discussions. But Iran confirmed the postponement on Thursday after the Omani mediator cited “logistical reasons.”

Washington nevertheless indicated it "expects that new discussions will take place in the near future," stating that the date and location of those originally planned for this weekend were never confirmed.

Meanwhile, French Foreign Minister Jean-Noël Barrot told AFP that other discussions scheduled for Friday, between Iran on one hand, and the United Kingdom, France, and Germany on the other, will also not occur.

Barrot is in Washington, where he met his US counterpart Marco Rubio.

Rubio told Fox News that Iran should not be afraid of nuclear inspections, including by Americans, amid diplomatic efforts between the two countries over Iran’s nuclear program.

Oil Purchases

Trump, who has revived his so-called “maximum pressure” policy on Iran by pressing it to negotiate while threatening to bomb it if diplomacy fails, promised Thursday to be uncompromising in the effective implementation of sanctions dating back to his first term. Specifically, radical measures against Iranian oil.

“All purchases of Iranian oil or petrochemical products must cease, NOW,” the American president emphasized on his Truth social network. “Any country or person buying any amount of Iranian oil or petrochemical products will be immediately subjected to indirect sanctions.”

Trump's warnings come a day after Washington announced new sanctions against seven companies accused of being involved in selling Iranian oil.

In response, Iran slammed a “US policymakers' contradictory approach, and their lack of good faith and seriousness to progress on the path of diplomacy.”

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said “these sanctions, designed within the framework of the criminal and failed ‘maximum pressure’ policy, expose Washington’s contradictory behavior and its lack of sincerity in advancing diplomacy.”

He said, “The sanctions announced in recent days under various pretexts—targeting Iranian and non-Iranian individuals and companies—are a blatant sign of the US ongoing violations of international norms and its efforts to disrupt legal relations between developing nations through economic terrorism.”



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.