Modi Says India Has Only Paused Military Action after It and Pakistan Stop Firing at Each Other

 A man assesses the damage of a house after it was hit in an Indian strike, following the ceasefire announcement between India and Pakistan, in Jura village in Neelum Valley, Pakistani Kashmir, May 12, 2025. (Reuters)
A man assesses the damage of a house after it was hit in an Indian strike, following the ceasefire announcement between India and Pakistan, in Jura village in Neelum Valley, Pakistani Kashmir, May 12, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Modi Says India Has Only Paused Military Action after It and Pakistan Stop Firing at Each Other

 A man assesses the damage of a house after it was hit in an Indian strike, following the ceasefire announcement between India and Pakistan, in Jura village in Neelum Valley, Pakistani Kashmir, May 12, 2025. (Reuters)
A man assesses the damage of a house after it was hit in an Indian strike, following the ceasefire announcement between India and Pakistan, in Jura village in Neelum Valley, Pakistani Kashmir, May 12, 2025. (Reuters)

India has only "paused" its military action and will "retaliate on its own terms" if there is any future terror attack on the country, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Monday in his first public comments since a US-brokered ceasefire over the weekend.

Modi spoke after Indian and Pakistani authorities said there was no firing reported overnight along the heavily militarized region between their countries — the first time in recent days the nations were not shooting at each other.

The escalating hostilities between the nuclear-armed rivals after a deadly attack on tourists in Kashmir had threatened regional peace. India accused Pakistan of backing the militants who carried out the massacre, a charge Islamabad denied.

"We will be monitoring every step of Pakistan," Modi said in an address to the nation. He added, in response to international calls for dialogue, that if India talks to Pakistan, it will be only about terrorism and Pakistan-controlled Kashmir. Both nations administer parts of Kashmir but claim it in its entirety.

"Terror and talks can’t go together. Nor can terror and trade," Modi said.

He did not acknowledge US President Donald Trump's offer to mediate. India and Pakistan reached an understanding to stop all military actions on land, in the air and at the sea on Saturday.

Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, for his part, said his country agreed to the ceasefire "in the spirit of peace" but will never tolerate violations of its sovereignty and territorial integrity. He spoke during a meeting with the Turkish ambassador, according to a government statement.

Senior military officials from India and Pakistan spoke via a hotline on Monday to assess if the ceasefire was holding and how to ensure implementation.

The Indian army in a statement said the officials discussed the commitment of not "firing a single shot" or initiating aggressive action. The two sides agreed to consider taking immediate measures to reduce the number of troops in border and forward areas, it said.

"The night remained largely peaceful across Jammu and Kashmir, and other areas along the international border," the Indian army said, adding that no incidents had been reported.

Local government officials in Pakistan-administered Kashmir reported no incidents of cross-border firing along the Line of Control — the de facto border that divides the disputed Kashmir region between India and Pakistan — and said civilians displaced by recent skirmishes were returning to their homes.

Pakistan’s military spokesperson, Lt. Gen. Ahmad Sharif, said late Sunday that Pakistan remains committed to upholding the ceasefire and will not be the first to violate it.

Soon after the ceasefire announcement, Pakistan reopened all airports and restored flight operations. India on Monday reopened the 32 airports that were shut temporarily across its northern and western regions.

The countries' militaries had been engaged in one of their most serious confrontations in decades since Wednesday, when India struck targets inside Pakistan it said were affiliated with militants responsible for the massacre of 26 tourists last month in Indian-controlled Kashmir. The tourists, mostly Indian Hindu men, were killed in front of their families.

The incident first led to tit-for-tat diplomatic measures. The countries expelled each other’s diplomats, shut their airspace and land borders and suspended a crucial water treaty.

After Wednesday's strikes in Pakistan, both sides exchanged heavy fire in Kashmir followed by missile and drone strikes into each other’s territories, mainly targeting military installations and airbases. Dozens of civilians were killed on both sides, the two countries said.

The Indian military on Sunday for the first time claimed its strikes into Pakistan-controlled Kashmir and Pakistan last week killed more than 100 militants, including prominent leaders.

Lt. Gen. Rajiv Ghai, the director general of India’s military operations, said India’s armed forces struck nine militant infrastructure and training facilities, including sites of the Lashkar-e-Taiba group that India blames for carrying out major militant strikes in India.

Ghai also said at least 35 to 40 Pakistani soldiers were killed in clashes along the Line of Control. Five Indian soldiers were also killed, he said.

Pakistan’s Information Minister Attaullah Tarar on Thursday said his country’s armed forces had killed 40 to 50 Indian soldiers along the Line of Control. Pakistani military also claimed to have shot down five Indian fighter jets and inflected heavy losses on Indian military installations by targeting 26 locations in India.

The Associated Press couldn’t independently verify the claims made by India and Pakistan.

Air Chief Marshal AK Bharti, the director general India’s air operations, told a news conference on Monday that despite "minor damage (s) incurred, all our military bases and air defense systems continue to remain fully operational, and ready to undertake any further missions, should the need so arise."

Bharti reiterated that New Delhi’s fight was "with terrorists, and not with Pakistan military or its civilians."



Florida Airport to be Renamed after US President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump gets ready to exit the stage after speaking at a rally at Coosa Steel Corporation in Rome, Ga., Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump gets ready to exit the stage after speaking at a rally at Coosa Steel Corporation in Rome, Ga., Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
TT

Florida Airport to be Renamed after US President Donald Trump

President Donald Trump gets ready to exit the stage after speaking at a rally at Coosa Steel Corporation in Rome, Ga., Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)
President Donald Trump gets ready to exit the stage after speaking at a rally at Coosa Steel Corporation in Rome, Ga., Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

An airport in Florida will soon be renamed after US President Donald Trump, after a bill proposing the change was approved by the state's legislature on Thursday.

Trump, a real estate mogul who has plastered his name on buildings around the world, has sought to leave his mark on the country in an unprecedented image and building campaign.

Florida's Republican-led legislature approved a bill to rename the Palm Beach International Airport as the "President Donald J. Trump International Airport," state records show. Governor Ron DeSantis, once a Trump opponent, is expected to sign the measure into law.

The airport in Palm Beach, a town known for its sandy beaches and luxurious estates, is just minutes away from Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence.

The airport renaming will also require the approval of the Federal Aviation Administration, AFP reported.

It would then become the latest institution to be renamed after Trump.

The president's handpicked board of the Kennedy Center, an arts complex and memorial to late president John F. Kennedy in Washington, voted in December to rename itself the "Trump-Kennedy Center."

Trump has also sought to rename New York's Penn Station and Washington's Dulles International Airport after himself, according to US media reports, although those efforts were rebuffed.

The Treasury Department has also confirmed reports that drafts have been drawn up for a commemorative $1 coin featuring Trump's image, even though there are laws against displaying the image of a sitting or living president on money.


Venezuela: Amnesty Law Excludes those who Promoted Military Action

National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)
National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)
TT

Venezuela: Amnesty Law Excludes those who Promoted Military Action

National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)
National Assembly President Jorge Rodriguez, center, presides over a session debating an amnesty bill in Caracas, Venezuela, Thursday, Feb. 19, 2026. (AP Photo/Crisitian Hernandez)

Venezuela's parliament unanimously approved an amnesty law on Thursday that could free political prisoners, almost two months after President Nicolas Maduro was captured by US forces.

“The law on democratic coexistence has been approved. It has been forwarded to acting president Delcy Rodriguez for announcement,” said National Assembly President, Jorge Rodriguez, before parliament.

Acting president Delcy Rodriguez signed the legislation after it was handed to her by Jorge Rodrigez, her brother.

The passage of the law led to the end of a hunger strike by relatives of political prisoners.

Ten women have participated in a hunger strike outside the Zona 7 police facility in the capital Caracas last Saturday, setting up camps outside the prison and demanding the release of their relatives, according to AFP.

Because they experienced health problems, nine of them stopped the protest on Wednesday evening. Only one woman continued until Thursday, ending “136 hours,” or more than five days, of strike.

But the amnesty law excludes those who have been prosecuted or convicted of promoting military action against the country – which could include opposition leaders like Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Corina Machado, who has been accused by the ruling party of calling for international intervention like the one that ousted Maduro.

Article 9 of the bill lists those excluded from amnesty as “persons who are being prosecuted or may be convicted for promoting, instigating, soliciting, invoking, favoring, facilitating, financing or participating in armed actions or the use of force against the people, sovereignty, and territorial integrity” of Venezuela “by foreign states, corporations or individuals.”


Türkiye’s Approval of Peace Roadmap is Important Step, PKK Source Says

A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)
A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)
TT

Türkiye’s Approval of Peace Roadmap is Important Step, PKK Source Says

A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)
A Turkish parliamentary commission’s approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source said Thursday. (AFP/File)

A Turkish parliamentary commission's approval of a report setting out a roadmap for legal reforms alongside the disbandment of the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) group is an important step and the beginning of a fundamental change in Turkish policy, a PKK source told Reuters on Thursday.

The commission voted overwhelmingly on Wednesday to approve the report, advancing a peace process designed to end decades of conflict.

"The vote is considered an achievement and an important ‌step toward consolidating democracy ‌in Türkiye," said the PKK source.

The PKK - designated a ‌terrorist ⁠organization by Türkiye, ⁠the United States and the European Union - halted attacks last year and said in May it had decided to disband and end its armed struggle.

The parliamentary vote shifts the peace process to the legislative theatre, as President Tayyip Erdogan, Türkiye’s leader of more than two decades, bids to end a conflict focused in mainly Kurdish southeast Türkiye.

The insurgency began in 1984 and has killed more than 40,000 people, sowing deep discord at home and ⁠spreading violence across borders into Iraq and Syria.

IMPORTANT ISSUES OUTSTANDING

The PKK ‌source said there were foundations for resolving ‌the Kurdish issue, but there was a lack of clarity on the issue in the report.

"There also ‌remain other important issues, such as initiating constitutional amendments, especially in aspects related to ‌the Kurdish language as well as amendments to the anti-terrorism law," the source said.

Another issue was legislation concerning the return of PKK militants to Türkiye and their integration into society, the source said.

A key element of Wednesday's report recommended strengthening mechanisms to ensure compliance with decisions by the ‌European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) and the Constitutional Court.

Among key ECHR decisions related to Türkiye are rulings that the rights of ⁠jailed former pro-Kurdish ⁠party leader Selahattin Demirtas had been violated and that he should be released immediately.

Ankara's final appeal against that was rejected in November.

SIGN OF INTENT

Demirtas' lawyer Mahsuni Karaman told Reuters the report's comments on the ECHR were important as a sign of intent.

"We hope this will be reflected in judicial practice—that is our wish and expectation,” Karaman said.

Demirtas was detained in November 2016 on terrorism-related charges, which he denies. In May 2024, a court convicted him in connection with deadly 2014 protests and sentenced him to more than 40 years in prison.

Turkish nationalist leader Devlet Bahceli, a key Erdogan ally whose call in 2024 triggered the current PKK peace process, said in November that it "would be beneficial" to release Demirtas from prison.

The opposition pro-Kurdish DEM Party — the successor party of Demirtas' HDP — remains parliament's third-largest bloc and has cooperated closely with the parliamentary commission.