Israel, Iran Raise Military Alert Levels

 billboard in Tehran shows the word “Hitanyahu” in Farsi and the Hebrew phrase “Today’s German Nazi,” hanging above the Iranian-Palestinian coordination center (AFP)
billboard in Tehran shows the word “Hitanyahu” in Farsi and the Hebrew phrase “Today’s German Nazi,” hanging above the Iranian-Palestinian coordination center (AFP)
TT

Israel, Iran Raise Military Alert Levels

 billboard in Tehran shows the word “Hitanyahu” in Farsi and the Hebrew phrase “Today’s German Nazi,” hanging above the Iranian-Palestinian coordination center (AFP)
billboard in Tehran shows the word “Hitanyahu” in Farsi and the Hebrew phrase “Today’s German Nazi,” hanging above the Iranian-Palestinian coordination center (AFP)

Days after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned that Israel’s military was prepared to counter any Iranian attempt to rebuild its missile and nuclear capabilities, a senior Israeli officer said his troops were ready for the fallout of another war with Tehran.

Col. Shlomi Ben Yair, head of the Home Front Command’s rescue unit, told soldiers complaining of heavy field burdens that his forces were preparing “for another round of war with Iran.”

“This round can always come as a surprise, and we are fully ready for it – not just in a routine way,” he was quoted as saying by the daily Yedioth Ahronoth.

The elite rescue corps numbers just 250 soldiers but is considered one of the army’s most crucial units. Its members are trained to dig survivors out from rubble, often facing dismembered bodies and horrific battlefield scenes.

Over the past two years, they have operated under intense pressure from Tel Aviv to southern Lebanon and Rafah in Gaza. Troops have been demanding longer leave and better pay in return.

Netanyahu last week cautioned that Iran might stage a “surprise attack” in retaliation for recent blows.

A fragile ceasefire halted a 12-day war in June that began with Israeli air raids and US strikes on three underground nuclear sites in Iran. The fighting killed several senior Revolutionary Guard commanders and nuclear scientists.

Israeli media say the army is bracing for another confrontation. Maariv reported Tuesday that commanders feared Tehran could mount a sudden strike “even before the Gaza City offensive,” to recast the war narrative.

Yedioth Ahronoth said Friday Israeli leaders were increasingly alarmed by Chinese military support for Iran and reports that Tehran was replenishing its ballistic missile stockpiles. Israel has conveyed concerns to Beijing, which denied supplying missiles, the paper said.

According to Yedioth, the army has revised its doctrine to prioritize pre-emptive strikes, signaling it will not wait to be attacked before hitting first.

On Monday, the military held a surprise drill overseen by Chief of Staff Eyal Zamir to test readiness.

A military source said the exercise aimed both to send a message to Iran and Hezbollah that “Israel never sleeps with both eyes closed,” and to raise alert levels across the army, Mossad and Shin Bet intelligence services.

Maariv said Israel’s security establishment was preparing for the possibility of a broad Iranian assault on multiple fronts.

It said Iran and Hezbollah faced a “critical crossroads” as the war had weakened Hezbollah’s position in Lebanon and dented Iran’s standing at home. Both now sought to craft a narrative “that they did not lose the war.”

Israeli officials are watching several trends in Iran, the paper said: efforts to rebuild nuclear and missile infrastructure, heavy investment in counter-intelligence to root out Israeli infiltration, and daily cyberattacks against Israel.

Mossad and Shin Bet are currently fielding “a flood of warnings” of planned strikes on Israelis and embassies abroad.

Officials also fear attacks from Syria and Jordan, as well as continued threats by Yemen’s Houthis.

Military sources in Tel Aviv on Friday said the visit of Iranian national security chief Ali Larijani to Beirut, followed by Hezbollah leader Naim Qassem’s remarks and renewed Houthi threats, suggested Tehran was “hiding something” and could itself become a direct Israeli target.

In Tehran, sources told Asharq al-Awsat the Revolutionary Guard had ordered a nationwide alert, particularly during the 72 hours following Ashura’s Arbaeen commemorations ending Friday. Infrastructure and power plants were seen as likely Israeli targets, the sources said, while the Guard was instructed to quash any potential street unrest.

Authorities also did not rule out another Israeli strike in late September, timed to disrupt the school year starting on Sept. 23, they added.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz on Thursday renewed threats to assassinate Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, after Iranian media linked to the Quds Force published a Hebrew-language graphic listing Israeli officials marked for assassination, labelling Katz “minister of terror.”

Netanyahu told Israel’s i24 News the US-Israeli campaign in June had succeeded in “delaying Iran’s nuclear program by several good years.” Tehran was left with 400 kg of enriched uranium, “not enough to make a bomb,” he said.



First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

First European Flight Lands in Venezuela Since Maduro’s Ouster 

A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)
A man holds up a Venezuelan flag while taking part in a march calling for amnesty for political prisoners and to mark Youth Day, in Caracas, Venezuela, February 12, 2026. (Reuters)

A plane from Spain's Air Europa landed in Venezuela Tuesday, according to a flight tracking monitor, the first European commercial flight to arrive in the country since the United States toppled president Nicolas Maduro.

A slew of international carriers stopped flying to Venezuela after the United States warned of possible military activity there in late November -- a prelude to its surprise attack on January 3.

The Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner landed at Simon Bolivar International Airport, which serves the Venezuelan capital Caracas, at 9:00 pm (0100 GMT).

Since US forces raided Venezuela and captured Maduro, US President Donald Trump has struck a cooperative relationship with interim president Delcy Rodriguez.

Late last month he called for flights to resume to the country.

Spanish airline Iberia is evaluating security guarantees before announcing a return, according to the Spanish press.

Portugal's TAP has said it will resume flights. Colombian airline Avianca and Panama's Copa have already restarted operations.

Hoping to prompt US flights, the Trump administration has lifted a 2019 ban on US airlines flying to the country.


Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.