Iranian Lawmaker: Europe Within Range of Our Missiles

An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
TT

Iranian Lawmaker: Europe Within Range of Our Missiles

An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)
An Iranian woman walks on a sidewalk next to a recently unveiled billboard bearing the portrait of Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu with text in Persian reading "Hitanyahu" and text in Hebrew reading "Germany's Nazi of today" at Palestine Square in central Tehran on August 11, 2025. (Photo by ATTA KENARE / AFP)

An Iranian lawmaker and an official in the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) warned on Sunday that European countries are within range of Iranian missiles, remarks made as Britain, France and Germany signal they are ready to reimpose UN sanctions on Iran.

“All possible sanctions have already been imposed on our country. The unilateral and multilateral sanctions by the US and Europe are already at their peak. So, activating the snapback mechanism will bring no new negative consequences for Iran’s economy and is merely a political move,” said Amir Hayat-Moqaddam, a member of parliament’s National Security and Foreign Policy Committee.

He told the Iran Observer website that the Europeans are trying to extend the deadline for triggering the snapback mechanism. “If this happens, there will be no legal basis to reinstate resolutions canceled by Resolution 2231. Then, Iran will not be listed under Chapter VII of the UN Charter.”

Asked about a possible US attack on his country, he said: “Perhaps our next missile will hit Washington directly. We can target America from the sea.”

According to Hayat-Moqaddam, the Aerospace Force of the IRGC has been working for 20 years on making it possible to strike America from Iranian ships. Even if we have not yet reached this technology, it remains within our grasp.”

In the same context, he added: “All European countries are in our range. With our existing missiles we can strike France, Germany, the UK, and all of Western and Eastern Europe.”

The E3 — the UK, France and Germany — have warned they are prepared to trigger snapback unless Iran returns to nuclear talks by the end of August, which would restore UN sanctions lifted under the 2015 deal.

On July 21, Iran conducted a suborbital test with the Qased satellite launch vehicle to evaluate new technologies developed by the country's space industry.

The semi-official Tasnim news agency reported that “the results of this test will be used to improve the performance of the country's satellites and space systems.”

The announcement came four days ahead of talks between Iranian and EU officials in Istanbul. Observers said the launch of Qased could be a message for European leaders who fear Iran's space missile program was, for years, a cover for developing an intercontinental ballistic missile.

Last week, the IRGC ordered its forces to maintain a state of readiness against potential aggression.

For its part, Israel on Sunday raised its military and security readiness in anticipation of a confrontation with Iran while the Israeli Army Chief of Staff conducted a test exercise to evaluate readiness to counter a cross-border assault.

Israel is concerned about reports from Western intelligence agencies, mostly those in Europe, saying Tehran and Beijing are cooperating to rebuild Iran’s defensive capabilities after the 12-day war with Israel.

Senior Israeli officials said the Chinese intentions are not entirely clear and that Israel relayed messages to Beijing, the Ynet news website said.

“They said China did not confirm that it would replenish Iran's missile stores, but the matter was of great concern and could have significant strategic implications,” it added.

Meanwhile, Iran’s General Staff of the Armed Forces warned on Saturday that Tehran will deliver a far stronger response to any future attacks by the United States or Israel.

“In the event of any miscalculation or satanic action, what prevented us from wider operations during the 12-day imposed war will no longer apply,” the military warned.

It added: “This time they will face new surprises and far more crushing blows.”



Turkish police detain Deutsche Welle journalist over social media posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
TT

Turkish police detain Deutsche Welle journalist over social media posts

19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa
19 February 2026, Canada: Deutsche Welle (DW) logo is seen displayed on a smartphone screen. Photo: Thomas Fuller/SOPA Images via ZUMA Press Wire/dpa

Turkish police have detained investigative journalist Alican Uludag on suspicion of insulting President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and spreading misinformation, sparking outrage among journalism groups.
Uludag, who works for German broadcaster Deutsche Welle’s Turkish service, was taken from his home in Ankara late Thursday as part of an investigation into social media posts. The Istanbul Chief Prosecutor’s Office said he is suspected of “insulting the president” and “disseminating misleading information.”
The journalist, whose reporting focuses mainly on the judiciary and on corruption cases, was later transferred to Istanbul for questioning.
His detention drew sharp condemnation from press freedom advocates, who described it as an attack on media independence and democratic norms, The Associated Press said.
Deutsche Welle’s director‑general, Barbara Massing, demanded his release, calling the arrest “a deliberate act of intimidation.”
On Friday, journalists gathered outside Istanbul’s Çaglayan Courthouse to protest Uludag’s detention and to call for his immediate release.
The advocacy group, Reporters Without Borders considers Türkiye to be one of the most repressive countries for journalists, nothing that most media organizations are under government control and journalists face frequent legal pressure or intimidation.
At least 14 journalists or media sector workers are currently in prison, according to the Turkish Journalists Syndicate.


South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
TT

South Korea’s Ex-President Yoon Apologizes After Life Sentence Over Martial Law 

South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol  delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)
South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol delivers a speech to declare martial law in Seoul, South Korea, December 3, 2024. (The Presidential Office/Handout via Reuters/File Photo)

Former ‌South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol apologized on Friday for his short-lived declaration of martial law in December 2024, a day after a Seoul court sentenced him to life in prison for masterminding an insurrection.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Yoon said that while he was sorry for the "frustration and hardship" brought upon the people by his martial law decree, he stood behind the "sincerity and purpose" behind his actions.

The Seoul Central District Court's decision ‌to hand him ‌a life sentence on Thursday was "predetermined," he ‌said, ⁠adding that the verdict ⁠against him was political retaliation.

"Forces that seek to smear a decision made to save the nation as an 'insurrection' and to use it beyond political attacks as an opportunity to purge and eliminate their opponents will only grow more rampant going forward," he said.

Yoon also questioned ⁠whether an appeal would have meaning ‌in what he described as an ‌environment where judicial independence could not be guaranteed, while telling ‌supporters to "unite and rise."

His lawyers separately said the statement ‌did not amount to an intention to forgo an appeal.

Yoon's martial law declaration lasted around six hours before being voted down by parliament, but it sent shockwaves through the country and ‌sparked street protests.

The court found Yoon guilty of subverting constitutional order by deploying troops ⁠to storm ⁠parliament and move to detain opponents, capping a dramatic fall that saw him stripped of office and end up behind bars.

Yoon, a former career prosecutor, denied the charges, arguing he had presidential authority to declare martial law and his action was aimed at sounding the alarm over opposition parties' obstruction of government.

A special prosecutor had sought the death penalty for Yoon, though South Korea has not carried out an execution since 1997.

A prosecutor said on Thursday the team had some "regret" over the sentencing, but declined to say whether they planned to appeal.


Russia Hits Ukraine's Oil, Gas Infrastructure in Poltava Region, Naftogaz Says

FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
TT

Russia Hits Ukraine's Oil, Gas Infrastructure in Poltava Region, Naftogaz Says

FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian service member of the 14th Unmanned Aerial Systems Regiment prepares a deep strike unmanned aerial vehicle before its launch toward Russian territory, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, in an undisclosed location in Ukraine, undisclosed date, 2025. REUTERS/Valentyn Ogirenko/File Photo

Russian drones hit Ukraine's oil and gas infrastructure in the central Poltava region, causing ‌damage ‌and a ‌fire, ⁠the state energy company ⁠Naftogaz said on Friday.

"This is yet another targeted ⁠attack on ‌our ‌oil and ‌gas infrastructure. ‌Since the beginning of the year, the ‌enemy has attacked Naftogaz Group facilities ⁠more ⁠than 20 times," Sergii Koretskyi, Naftogaz CEO said in a post on Facebook.