Iran Warns: Ceasefire is Temporary, New conflict with Israel Could Erupt at Any Moment

Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (Mehr)
Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (Mehr)
TT

Iran Warns: Ceasefire is Temporary, New conflict with Israel Could Erupt at Any Moment

Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (Mehr)
Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei (Mehr)

Yahya Rahim Safavi, senior military adviser to Iran’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, warned on Monday that a new conflict with Israel could erupt at any moment, signaling further escalation in tensions.

Also, Iran’s First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref warned that the war with Israel has not ended, describing the current calm after June’s 12-day conflict as only a temporary halt.

“A new war with Israel could break out at any moment,” wrote IRNA, the Iranian regime-affiliated news site, quoting Safavi. "And after that war, perhaps there will be no more wars. That is a possibility.”

“At present, we are not in a ceasefire; we are in a stage of war, and at any moment the fighting may resume,” Safavi said. The military advisor then noted that there is no written ceasefire agreement between the sides.

“No protocol, regulation, or agreement has been written between us and the US or Israel,” he said, adding that Washington and Tel Aviv think they can create peace quickly through force. “Iran, too, must be strong – both in the region and on a global scale,” Safavi noted.

The top military adviser then affirmed that Iranian forces are planning for all possible outcomes, “We, military personnel, are developing scenarios according to the worst-case scenarios and preparing plans to face them,” Safavi said.
He called for strengthening both defensive systems and offensive capabilities.

Safavi concluded that preparing for war is the best guarantee of peace: “The best means of defense is attack, and preparing for war is the best way to ensure peace.”

For his part, Ali Fadavi, the deputy commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) said on Monday Israel suffered miscalculation in the 12-day war imposed on Iran, also warning the enemy against falling into the same trap again.

According to Iran’s Tasnim news agency, Fadavi said Israel and the US entered the war with their full power. “But they suffered a miscalculation as they were certain of success, which did not happen,” he noted.

Negotiation Strategy

Meanwhile, Iran’s First Vice President Mohammad Reza Aref said that his country is not in a ceasefire agreement, warning that war could erupt at any moment.

“We must be prepared at every moment for confrontation; right now, we are not even in a ceasefire (agreement); we are in a cessation of hostilities,” he said.

Speaking to presidents of major Iranian universities in Tehran, Reza Aref said the Western powers try to dictate their policies to other countries while Iran is standing up to them.

“We do not seek war, but our strategy is that if they start a war, its end will be ours,” the vice president said.

“Of course, our strategy is to resolve issues through negotiations, but we are concerned whether the other side believes in negotiations or not,” he added.

Foreign Threats

In return, both Israel and the US issued severe warnings to Iran. US President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have warned they will not hesitate to hit Iran again if it resumes enrichment of uranium, a possible pathway to developing nuclear weapons.

Last week, Trump warned that if Iran restarted enrichment despite the June strikes on its key production plants, “we’ll be back.” Tehran responded with a vow of forceful retaliation.

Still, Tehran fears future strikes could cripple political and military coordination, and so has formed a defense council to ensure command continuity even if the 87-year-old Khamenei must relocate to a remote hideaway to avoid assassination.

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Sunday that resuming talks with the United States “does not mean we intend to surrender,” addressing hardliners opposing further nuclear diplomacy after the war. He added: “You don’t want to talk? What do you want to do? ... Do you want to go (back) to war?”



Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
TT

Turkish FM to Attend Trump’s Board of Peace Meeting in Washington, Italy as ‘Observer’ 

28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)
28 November 2025, Berlin: Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference with German Foreign Minister Wadephul. (dpa)

‌Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan will travel to Washington in lieu of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan for the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump's "Board of Peace" on Thursday, the foreign ministry said on Wednesday.

A Turkish diplomatic source told Reuters ‌that Fidan, during the ‌talks, would call ‌for ⁠determined steps to ⁠resolve the Palestinian issue and emphasize that Israel must end actions to hinder the flow of aid into Gaza and stop its ceasefire violations.

Fidan ⁠will also reiterate Türkiye's ‌readiness ‌to contribute to Gaza's reconstruction and its ‌desire to help protect Palestinians ‌and ensure their security, the source said.

He will also call for urgent action against Israel's "illegal ‌settlement activities and settler violence in the West Bank", ⁠the ⁠source added.

According to a readout from Erdogan's office, the president separately told reporters on Wednesday that he hoped the Board of Peace would help achieve "the lasting stability, ceasefire, and eventually peace that Gaza has longed for", and would focus on bringing about a two-state solution.

The board, of which Trump is the chairman, was initially designed to oversee the Gaza truce and the territory's reconstruction after the war between Hamas and Israel.

Meanwhile, Italy will be present at the meeting as an "observer", Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Wednesday.

"I will go to Washington to represent Italy as an observer to this first meeting of the Board of Peace, to be present when talks occur and decisions are made for the reconstruction of Gaza and the future of Palestine," Tajani said according to ANSA news agency.

Italy cannot be present as anything more than an observer as the country's constitutional rules do not allow it to join an organization led by a single foreign leader.

But Tajani said it was key for Rome to be "at the forefront, listening to what is being done".

Since Trump launched the Board of Peace at the World Economic Forum in Davos in January, at least 19 countries have signed its founding charter.


Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
TT

Energy Secretary: US to Stop Iran's Nuclear Ambitions 'One Way or the Other'

US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)
US Secretary of Energy Chris Wright speaks during a press conference after a meeting with Venezuela's acting president Delcy Rodriguez at the Miraflores Presidential Palace in Caracas on February 11, 2026. (Photo by Juan BARRETO / AFP)

The United States will deter Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons "one way or the other", US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned on Wednesday.

"They've been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It's entirely unacceptable," Wright told reporters in Paris on the sidelines of meetings of the International Energy Agency.

"So one way or the other, we are going to end, deter Iran's march towards a nuclear weapon," Wright said.

US and Iranian officials held talks in Geneva on Tuesday aimed at averting the possibility of US military intervention to curb Tehran's nuclear program.

Iran said following the talks that they had agreed on "guiding principles" for a deal to avoid conflict.

US Vice President JD Vance, however, said Tehran had not yet acknowledged all of Washington's red lines.


Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
TT

Iran, Russia to Conduct Joint Drills in the Sea of Oman 

This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)
This handout photo released by Iran's Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC)'s official website Sepanews on February 17, 2026, shows boats maneuvering around a tanker vessel during a military exercise by members of the IRGC and navy in the Strait of Hormuz. (Sepahnews / AFP)

Iran and Russia will conduct naval maneuvers in the Sea of Oman on Thursday, following the latest round of talks between Tehran and Washington in Geneva, Iranian media reported.

On Monday, the Revolutionary Guards, the ideological arm of Iran's military, also launched exercises in the strategic Strait of Hormuz, a challenge to US naval forces deployed in the region.

"The joint naval exercise of Iran and Russia will take place tomorrow (Thursday) in the Sea of Oman and in the northern Indian Ocean," the ISNA agency reported, citing drill spokesman, Rear Admiral Hassan Maghsoudloo.

"The aim is to strengthen maritime security and to deepen relations between the navies of the two countries," he said, without specifying the duration of the drill.

The war games come as Iran struck an upbeat tone following the second round of Oman-mediated negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday.

Previous talks between the two foes collapsed following the unprecedented Israeli strike on Iran in June 2025, which sparked a 12-day war that the United States briefly joined.

US President Donald Trump has deployed a significant naval force in the region, which he has described as an "armada."

Iranian officials have repeatedly threatened to block the Strait of Hormuz, particularly during periods of tension with the United States, but it has never been closed.

A key passageway for global shipments of oil and liquefied natural gas, the Strait of Hormuz has been the scene of several incidents in the past and has returned to the spotlight as pressure has ratcheted amid the US-Iran talks.

Iran announced on Tuesday that it would partially close it for a few hours for "security" reasons during its own drills in the strait.