Aid Agencies Tell Countries to Send Funds to Help Afghanistan After Earthquake

Afghans commute along a hillside, in the aftermath of an earthquake at the Nurgal district of Kunar province on September 3, 2025. (AFP)
Afghans commute along a hillside, in the aftermath of an earthquake at the Nurgal district of Kunar province on September 3, 2025. (AFP)
TT

Aid Agencies Tell Countries to Send Funds to Help Afghanistan After Earthquake

Afghans commute along a hillside, in the aftermath of an earthquake at the Nurgal district of Kunar province on September 3, 2025. (AFP)
Afghans commute along a hillside, in the aftermath of an earthquake at the Nurgal district of Kunar province on September 3, 2025. (AFP)

Aid agencies on Wednesday urged the international community to increase funding to Afghanistan after a major earthquake killed at least 1,400 people and injured thousands more.

Just a few countries have publicly committed money since Sunday night’s 6.0-magnitude quake struck several provinces in the mountainous and remote east, leveling villages and trapping people under rubble.

It’s the latest crisis to beset the country, and the third strong quake since the Taliban seized power in 2021.

The United Kingdom is giving 1 million pounds ($1.3 million) to help. This money will go to aid organizations and not the Taliban government, which the UK doesn't recognize. South Korea on Wednesday said that it would provide $1 million through the United Nations.

Australia on Thursday pledged $1 million and said it worked with established partners to ensure its support helped those in need and not the Taliban government.

A further $11 million is being released through funds overseen by the UN and the European Union, while development agencies are channeling money through nongovernmental organizations or charities.

But many traditional donor countries have yet to come forward with financial assistance. The US was once the largest humanitarian funder to Afghanistan until it gutted this support earlier this year.

“Afghans are weary of this never-ending crisis upon crisis, which they have to meet with dwindling external help and their own often desperate efforts,” said Thamindri De Silva, national director of World Vision Afghanistan.

“International governments are queasy about investing in the longer-term solutions that can address the drivers of crises, such as the lack of preparedness, rural health care, and fragile infrastructure that made the impacts of these earthquakes so devastating.”

World Vision has launched a private fundraising campaign, De Silva added.

Some governments and ambassadors have pledged assistance in kind to Afghanistan. India is sending tents and food. The United Arab Emirates dispatched a rescue team and essential relief supplies.

Taliban authorities have appealed for international help despite restricting and, in some cases, interfering with the work of NGOs.

International funding to Afghanistan has fallen dramatically since the Taliban takeover, and just 28% of the humanitarian funding target has been met this year.

Local resources were stretched to breaking point, and the lack of money was limiting the scale and speed of the response to the quake, said Jacopo Caridi, the country director for the Norwegian Refugee Council.

Rescue teams have struggled to reach affected communities in Kunar, the worst-affected province, hampered by rockfalls and landslides. Some are walking for hours to deliver aid and medicine, often up steep hills. People from surrounding areas have rushed in to help.

“The earthquake is not a stand-alone disaster,” Caridi said. “It hit communities that were already struggling with displacement, food insecurity, drought, and the return of hundreds of thousands of Afghan refugees from neighboring countries. Our teams in Kunar report that families are sleeping in the open, enduring repeated aftershocks.”

On Wednesday, UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters that more than 25 square kilometers (around 10 square miles) of land was contaminated by mines and explosive ordnance in earthquake-affected areas because of years of conflict.

He said that assessments of the quake’s impact and response efforts have been “very challenging” because of blocked roads, but the distribution of food and shelter materials and health assistance has started. The priorities are shelter, medical supplies, drinking water, food and sanitation.

“The needs remain immense, and we call on all those who are able to provide support for the earthquake response to do so,” he added.



Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
TT

Fireworks Shop Explosion Kills 12 in China

Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Fire performers carry a dragon during a molten iron fireworks performance known as "fire dragon steel flowers" ahead of Lunar New Year celebrations at an amusement park on the outskirts of Beijing, China, Saturday, Feb. 14, 2026. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)

An explosion at a fireworks shop in central China killed 12 people on Wednesday, the second day of the Lunar New Year holiday, according to state broadcaster CCTV.

Setting off fireworks and firecrackers is common during holiday celebrations in China, especially around Lunar New Year, which fell on Tuesday.

While many larger cities, including the capital Beijing, have banned the practice in recent years -- in part due to pollution -- towns and rural areas are often filled with the sounds of exploding firecrackers and "missile" fireworks for days on end during the holiday period.

"At approximately 2 pm on the 18th, there was a fire and explosion at a firework and firecracker shop in Zhengji town" in Hubei province, CCTV said, citing local authorities.

"The fire covered an area of around 50 square meters and has already resulted in 12 deaths."

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, CCTV added, according to AFP.

On Sunday, an explosion at a fireworks shop in eastern China's Jiangsu province killed eight and injured two.

In response to that incident, the Ministry of Emergency Management urged fireworks enterprises nationwide to strengthen supervision and undertake a "full inspection" of safety risks and hazards.

It also warned citizens against unsafe practices like test-firing or smoking outside of shops.

Industrial accidents are common in China due to lax safety standards.

An explosion at a biotech factory in northern China's Shanxi province killed eight people this month.

And in late January, an explosion at a steel factory in the neighboring province of Inner Mongolia left at least nine people dead.


Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Vatican Says It Will Not Participate in Trump’s ‘Board of Peace’ 

Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)
Pope Leo XIV speaks after leading a Mass during a visit to the parish of Santa Maria Regina Pacis in Ostia Lido, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2026. (Reuters)

The Vatican ‌will not participate in US President Donald Trump's so-called "Board of Peace" initiative, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, the Vatican's top diplomatic official, said on Tuesday while adding that efforts to handle crisis situations should be managed by the United Nations.

Pope Leo, the first US pope and a critic of some of Trump's policies, was invited to join the board in January.

Under Trump's Gaza plan that led to a fragile ceasefire in October, the board was meant to supervise Gaza's temporary governance. Trump thereafter said the board, with him as chair, would ‌be expanded to ‌tackle global conflicts.

The board will hold its ‌first ⁠meeting in Washington ⁠on Thursday to discuss Gaza's reconstruction.

Italy and the European Union have said their representatives plan to attend as observers as they have not joined the board.

The Holy See "will not participate in the Board of Peace because of its particular nature, which is evidently not that of other States," Parolin said.

"One concern," he said, "is that ⁠at the international level it should above all ‌be the UN that manages ‌these crisis situations. This is one of the points on which we have insisted."

The ⁠Gaza truce has been repeatedly violated with hundreds of Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers reported killed since it began in October.

Israel's assault on Gaza has killed over 72,000, caused a hunger crisis and internally displaced Gaza's entire population.

Multiple rights experts, scholars and a UN inquiry say it amounts to genocide. Israel calls its actions self-defense after Hamas-led fighters killed 1,200 people and took over 250 hostages in a late 2023 attack.

Leo has repeatedly decried conditions in Gaza. The pope, leader of the world's 1.4 billion Catholics, rarely joins international boards. The Vatican has an extensive diplomatic service and is a permanent observer at the United Nations.


Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Poland Bars Chinese-Made Cars from Military Sites Over Data Security Fears 

A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)
A soldier from the 18th Mechanized Division stands guard on a Light Strike Vehicle "Zmija" during a media tour organized by the country's military to demonstrate the security measures on the Polish Belarusian border, near Bialowieza, Poland, January 10, 2025. (Reuters)

Poland has barred Chinese-made vehicles from entering military facilities due to concerns their onboard sensors could be used to collect sensitive data, the Polish Army said on Tuesday evening.

The army said in ‌a statement ‌that such vehicles ‌may ⁠still be allowed onto ⁠secured sites if specified functions are disabled and other safeguards required under each facility's security rules are in place.

To ⁠limit the risk ‌of ‌exposing confidential information, the military has ‌also banned connecting company ‌phones to infotainment systems in vehicles manufactured in China.

The restrictions do not apply ‌to publicly accessible military locations such as hospitals, ⁠clinics, ⁠libraries, prosecutors' offices or garrison clubs, the army said.

It added that the measures are precautionary and align with practices used by NATO members and other allies to ensure high standards of protection for defense infrastructure.