Sarkozy Jailing Reignites Debate over French Political Justice ahead of Le Pen Appeal

People stop to read the official campaign posters for candidates in the French presidential election: Nicolas Sarkozy, France's President and UMP candidate and Marine Le Pen, France's National Front head in Paris, April 9, 2012. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo
People stop to read the official campaign posters for candidates in the French presidential election: Nicolas Sarkozy, France's President and UMP candidate and Marine Le Pen, France's National Front head in Paris, April 9, 2012. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo
TT

Sarkozy Jailing Reignites Debate over French Political Justice ahead of Le Pen Appeal

People stop to read the official campaign posters for candidates in the French presidential election: Nicolas Sarkozy, France's President and UMP candidate and Marine Le Pen, France's National Front head in Paris, April 9, 2012. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo
People stop to read the official campaign posters for candidates in the French presidential election: Nicolas Sarkozy, France's President and UMP candidate and Marine Le Pen, France's National Front head in Paris, April 9, 2012. REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo

Former President Nicolas Sarkozy's prison sentence has deepened divisions in France over judges' handling of political wrongdoing, months before far-right chief Marine Le Pen attempts to overturn an embezzlement conviction and run for top office.

A Paris court jolted the political sphere on Thursday when it handed Sarkozy a five-year sentence for criminal conspiracy over attempts to raise campaign funds from Libya. He will soon become the country's first post-war president to be imprisoned, according to Reuters.

Ludovic Friat, the president of the USM, the largest union representing French prosecutors and judges, said the ruling demonstrated that no one was above the law - even if some might choose to question the court's motivation.

"There will clearly be a before and after this decision," he said. "In high-profile political-financial trials, some inevitably see judges stepping onto the political stage. What I regret is that ... too often, this becomes a smokescreen that diverts attention from the offences actually committed."

JUDGES CRACKING DOWN ON POLITICAL WRONGDOING

As Sarkozy left court, he reiterated his innocence, and said the ruling would undermine faith in France's judiciary.

"What happened today ... is of extreme gravity in regard to the rule of law, and for the trust one can have in the justice system," he said.

Sarkozy's prison sentence is enforceable immediately, with the former president given a short time to put his affairs in order, but not allowed to avoid prison pending an appeal as some French politicians have done in the past.

Appeals can take years, fuelling a sense of impunity for those in power, so judges are increasingly handing out "provisional execution" sentences that start immediately, lawyers and politicians have told Reuters.

"For several decades, there has been a growing democratic demand for integrity among elected officials," Judith Allenbach, the president of another judicial union, told Reuters.

She said 89% of jail terms over two years were enforced ahead of any appeals process and that judges were enacting laws passed by parliament mandating tougher sanctions for this type of crime.

In a sign of the tensions, the Paris prosecutor's office said on Saturday it had launched investigations into threatening messages directed at the head judge in this week's ruling on Sarkozy.

The lead judge in Le Pen's conviction earlier this year also received threats and was placed under police protection.

WHAT DOES IT MEAN FOR LE PEN?

Le Pen, the far-right leader of the National Rally (RN) party, was given a "provisional execution" in March, when she was convicted of embezzling EU funds. She got a five-year political ban that bars her from running in the 2027 election.

Le Pen, whose January appeal will determine whether she can run in 2027, said Sarkozy's conviction showed that "the generalization of provisional executions by certain jurisdictions represents a great danger".

Judicial sources said Le Pen and Sarkozy's cases were distinct, and it was impossible to say how one might influence the other.

Friat said the Sarkozy ruling showed judges were not wavering in their fight against political crime.

"I can understand her concern," he said of Le Pen, while emphasising that he did not know what the appeals court would decide.

Le Pen's allies say right-wing politicians receive harsher treatment from judges, highlighting the case of former centrist Prime Minister Francois Bayrou, who was acquitted of fraud last year over the alleged misuse of EU funds.

Le Pen's plight also caught the attention of US President Donald Trump, who said she was a victim of "lawfare" and sent a diplomatic delegation to offer support.

'REQUIREMENT TO BE HONEST'

Brigitte Bareges, a right-wing former mayor, was convicted of embezzlement in 2021, and given a five-year political ban with "provisional execution". She was acquitted on appeal.

"What we see today is that the justice system - or at least a part of it - has become the weapon of those in power," she said. "Once, I had faith in justice; today, I'm afraid."

The justice ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Bareges' remarks.

After Sarkozy's conviction, conservative Senate chief Gerard Larcher said "there is growing debate within society regarding the provisional execution of a conviction while appeals have not yet been exhausted, and I share this concern".

Left-wing lawmakers, however, applauded the Sarkozy ruling.

"The requirement to be honest and respect the law is not reserved for the public. It also applies to those in power," said Manuel Bompard of the France Unbowed party.

Amid calls for the "provisional execution" measure to be repealed, Prime Minister Sebastien Lecornu said in Le Parisien on Friday that "if a law gives rise to debate, it is up to parliament to address it".



Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
TT

Türkiye Says Greece-Chevron Activity off Crete Unlawful 

A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
A Chevron gas station sign is pictured at one of their retain gas stations in Cardiff, California October 9, 2013. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

Türkiye said on Thursday it opposed Greece's "unilateral activities" in energy fields south of Crete with a consortium led by US major Chevron as a violation of international law and good neighbourly relations.

Athens responded that its policies abide international law.

The Chevron-led consortium signed exclusive lease agreements on Monday to look for natural gas off southern Greece, expanding US presence in the eastern Mediterranean.

"We oppose this unlawful activity, which is being attempted in violation of the 2019 Memorandum of Understanding on Maritime Jurisdiction between Libya and our country," the Turkish Defense Ministry said at a press briefing.

It said the activity, while not directly impacting Türkiye's continental shelf, also violated Libya's maritime jurisdiction that was declared to the United Nations in May last year.

"We continue to provide the necessary support to the Libyan authorities to take action against these unilateral and unlawful activities by Greece," the ministry said.

A 2019 agreement signed by Türkiye and Libya set out maritime boundaries in the Mediterranean Sea. It was rejected by Greece as it ignored the presence of the Greek island of Crete between the coasts of Türkiye and Libya. The Chevron deal doubles the amount of Greek maritime acreage available for exploration and is the second in months involving a US energy major, as the European Union seeks to phase out supplies from Russia and the US seeks to replace them.

Asked about the Turkish objections later on Thursday, Greek government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told a press briefing that Athens followed an "active policy" and "exercises its rights in accordance with international law and respects international law steadfastly - and I think no one questions that, period."

There was no immediate comment from Chevron.

Neighbors and NATO members Türkiye and Greece have been at odds over a range of issues for decades, primarily maritime boundaries and rights in the Aegean, an area widely believed to hold energy resources and with key implications for airspace and military activity.

A 2023 declaration on friendly relations prompted a thaw between the sides and leaders have voiced a desire to address remaining issues.


Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
TT

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)
FILE - Britain’s Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025. (AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth, File)

UK police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

The Thames Valley Police, an agency that covers areas west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, said it was “assessing” reports that the former Prince Andrew sent trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010. The assessment followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein.

The police force did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is normal under UK law. But when asked if he had been arrested, the force pointed to a statement saying that they had arrested a man in his 60s. Mountbatten-Windsor is 66.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,’’ the statement said. “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence."

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” the statement added.

Pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plainclothes officers appearing to gather outside the home of Mountbatten-Windsor.


Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
TT

Georgia Arrests Two Foreigners Trying to Purchase Uranium

FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: A block with the symbol, atomic number and mass number of Uranium (U) element, in this illustration taken January 21, 2026. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration/File Photo

Georgia has ‌detained two people who attempted to purchase $3 million worth of uranium and a cache of a radioactive isotope found in nuclear weapons testing programs, the national security service said on Thursday.

Two foreign nationals from unspecified countries were arrested in the city of Kutaisi, the State Security Service said in a statement.

"They were planning to ‌illegally purchase ‌nuclear material uranium and radioactive ‌substance ⁠Cesium 137 for $3 ⁠million and illegally transport it to the territory of another country," Reuters quoted it as saying.

It said other foreigners had been arriving in Georgia in recent weeks with the aim of purchasing and transporting the nuclear and ⁠radioactive materials, without elaborating further.

The ‌statement did ‌not specify the quantity of materials the individuals were ‌attempting to procure. There were ‌no details on the substances' origin or potential destination.

Cesium 137 is a radioactive isotope present primarily in the aftermath of nuclear weapons testing ‌and nuclear power plant accidents such as the Chernobyl disaster in ⁠then-Soviet ⁠Ukraine in 1986.

The security of nuclear materials was one of the biggest concerns after the 1991 fall of the Soviet Union, of which Georgia was part. There have been several serious incidents involving the illicit trade in nuclear materials in Georgia over recent decades.

Most recently, three Chinese citizens were arrested in the capital Tbilisi for attempting to purchase two kilograms of "nuclear material" uranium.