Hurricane Melissa Leaves Dozens Dead in Trail of Destruction Across Cuba, Haiti and Jamaica

People walk along a road during the passing of Hurricane Melissa in Rocky Point, Jamaica, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2025. (AP)
People walk along a road during the passing of Hurricane Melissa in Rocky Point, Jamaica, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2025. (AP)
TT

Hurricane Melissa Leaves Dozens Dead in Trail of Destruction Across Cuba, Haiti and Jamaica

People walk along a road during the passing of Hurricane Melissa in Rocky Point, Jamaica, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2025. (AP)
People walk along a road during the passing of Hurricane Melissa in Rocky Point, Jamaica, Tuesday, Oct. 28, 2025. (AP)

Hurricane Melissa left dozens dead and widespread destruction across Cuba, Haiti and Jamaica, where roofless homes, toppled utility poles and water-logged furniture dominated the landscape Wednesday. 

A landslide blocked the main roads of Santa Cruz in Jamaica's St. Elizabeth parish, where the streets were reduced to mud pits. Residents swept water from homes as they tried to salvage belongings. Winds ripped off part of the roof at a high school, a designated public shelter. 

“I have never seen anything like this before in all my years living here,” resident Jennifer Small said. 

Melissa made landfall Tuesday in Jamaica as a catastrophic Category 5 storm with top winds of 185 mph (295 kph), one of the strongest Atlantic hurricanes on record, before weakening and moving on to Cuba, but even countries outside the direct path of the massive storm felt its devastating effects. 

At least 40 people have died across Haiti, Steven Aristil with Haiti’s Civil Protection Agency told The Associated Press. He said 20 of those deaths were reported in the southern coastal town of Petit-Goâve, where another 10 remain missing. Earlier Wednesday, the mayor of Petit-Goâve told the AP that at least 25 people were killed in that community, where flooding collapsed dozens of homes. The number of dead and missing in Haiti often fluctuate in the early days after major natural disasters. 

In Cuba, officials reported collapsed houses, blocked mountain roads and roofs blown off Wednesday, with the heaviest destruction concentrated in the southwest and northwest. Authorities said about 735,000 people remained in shelters. 

“That was hell. All night long, it was terrible,” said Reinaldo Charon in Santiago de Cuba. The 52-year-old was one of the few people venturing out Wednesday, covered by a plastic sheet in the intermittent rain. 

Jamaica rushes to assess the damage 

In Jamaica, more than 25,000 people were packed into shelters Wednesday and more streamed in throughout the day after the storm ripped roofs off their homes and left them temporarily homeless. 

Dana Morris Dixon, Jamaica’s education minister, said that 77% of the island was without power Wednesday. 

Jamaican officials reported complications in assessing the damage because of outages, noting “a total communication blackout” in areas, Richard Thompson, acting director general of Jamaica’s Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, told the Nationwide News Network. 

Prime Minister Andrew Holness said in a statement Wednesday that teams are working to rescue people and bring relief where it’s needed the most. 

“Recovery will take time, but the government is fully mobilized,” he said. “Relief supplies are being prepared, and we are doing everything possible to restore normalcy quickly.” 

Officials in Black River, Jamaica, a coastal town of approximately 5,000 people in the southwestern part of the island, pleaded for aid at a news conference Wednesday. 

“Catastrophic is a mild term based on what we are observing,” Mayor Richard Solomon said. 

Solomon said the local rescue infrastructure had been demolished by the storm. The hospital, police units and emergency services were inundated by floods and unable to conduct emergency operations. The storm also destroyed the facility where relief supplies were being stored. 

In southwest Jamaica, David Muschette, 84, sat among the rubble of his roofless house. He said he lost everything as he pointed to his wet clothes and furniture strewn across the grass while part of his roof partially blocked the road. 

“I need help,” he begged. 

The government said it hopes to reopen Jamaica’s airports as early as Thursday to ensure quick distribution of emergency relief supplies. 

The United States is sending rescue and response teams to assist in recovery efforts in the Caribbean, Secretary of State Marco Rubio announced on X. He said government officials were coordinating with leadership in Jamaica, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas. 

St. Elizabeth Police Superintendent Coleridge Minto told Nationwide News Network radio station Wednesday that authorities have found at least four bodies in southwest Jamaica. Minto said police were investigating other unconfirmed deaths. One death was reported in the west when a tree fell on a baby, state minister Abka Fitz-Henley told Nationwide News Network. 

Before landfall, Melissa had already been blamed for three deaths in Jamaica, three in Haiti and one in the Dominican Republic. 

Cuba rides out the storm  

People in the eastern Cuban province of Santiago de Cuba began clearing debris around the collapsed walls of their homes on Wednesday after Hurricane Melissa made landfall in the region hours earlier. 

“Life is what matters,” said Alexis Ramos, a 54-year-old fisherman as he surveyed his destroyed home and shielded himself from the intermittent rain with a yellow raincoat. “Repairing this costs money, a lot of money.” 

Meanwhile, local media showed images of the Juan Bruno Zayas Clinical Hospital with severe damage: glass scattered across the floor, waiting rooms in ruins and masonry walls crumpled on the ground. 

In Cuba, parts of Granma province, especially the municipal capital, Jiguaní, were underwater, said Gov. Yanetsy Terry Gutiérrez. More than 15 inches (40 centimeters) of rain was reported in Jiguaní’s settlement of Charco Redondo. 

The hurricane could worsen Cuba’s severe economic crisis, which already has led to prolonged power blackouts, along with fuel and food shortages. 

“There will be a lot of work to do. We know there will be a lot of damage,” Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel said in a televised address, and urged the population not to underestimate the power of Melissa,. 

Wednesday afternoon, Melissa had top sustained winds of 100 mph (155 kph) and was moving northeast at 15 mph (24 kph) according to the US National Hurricane Center in Miami.  

Michael Brennan, director of the National Hurricane Center, said the storm began affecting the southeastern Bahamas on Wednesday. 

“The storm is growing in size,” he said, noting that tropical storm force winds now extend almost 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the center. 

Melissa’s center is forecast to move through southeastern Bahamas later Wednesday, generating up to 7 feet (2 meters) of storm surge in the area. By late Thursday, Melissa is expected to pass just west of Bermuda. 



Witkoff Says Trump Questioning why Iran Has Not 'Capitulated'

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
TT

Witkoff Says Trump Questioning why Iran Has Not 'Capitulated'

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff listens as President Donald Trump (not pictured) speaks at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting at the US Institute of Peace in Washington, D.C., US, February 19, 2026. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque

US envoy Steve Witkoff said on Saturday that President Donald Trump is questioning why Iran has not "capitulated" in the face of Washington's military build-up aimed at pressuring them into a nuclear deal.

The United States and Iran this week resumed Oman-mediated talks in Geneva aimed at averting the possibility of military action, after Washington dispatched two aircraft carriers, jets and weaponry to the region to back its warnings.

In a Fox News interview with Trump's daughter-in-law Lara, Witkoff said the president was "curious" about Iran's position after he had warned them of severe consequences in the event they failed to strike a deal.

"I don't want to use the word 'frustrated,' because he understands he has plenty of alternatives, but he's curious as to why they haven't... I don't want to use the word 'capitulated,' but why they haven't capitulated," AFP quoted him as saying.

"Why, under this pressure, with the amount of seapower and naval power over there, why haven't they come to us and said, 'We profess we don't want a weapon, so here's what we're prepared to do'? And yet it's sort of hard to get them to that place."

The US envoy also confirmed in the interview that he had met with Reza Pahlavi, who has not returned to Iran since before the 1979 Iranian Revolution that ousted the monarchy.

"I met him at the direction of the president," he said, without providing further details.

US-based Pahlavi last week told a crowd in Munich that he was ready to lead the country to a "secular democratic future" after Trump said regime change would be best for the country.

Witkoff's comments come after Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said a draft proposal for an agreement with Washington would be ready in a matter of days.

Trump said on Thursday that Iran had at most 15 days to make a deal on concerns starting with its nuclear program.

As talks between the two nations continued in Geneva, Iran's supreme leader Ali Khamenei on Tuesday said that Trump would not succeed in destroying the country.


Will Trump Accept a ‘Token’ Nuclear Enrichment in Iran?

(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)
(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)
TT

Will Trump Accept a ‘Token’ Nuclear Enrichment in Iran?

(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)
(FILES) US President Donald Trump speaks during a press conference in the Brady Press Briefing Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on February 20, 2026. (Photo by Mandel NGAN / AFP)

The Trump administration is prepared to consider a proposal that allows Iran “token” nuclear enrichment if it leaves no possible path to a bomb, a senior US official told Axios on Saturday.

This suggests there could be an opening, if only a small one, between the red lines set by the US and Iran for a deal to constrain Iran's nuclear capabilities and prevent war, according to Axios.

The report published this week said that after the Geneva talks, US President Donald Trump's envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner asked Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi to produce a detailed proposal addressing all the US concerns regarding Iran's nuclear program.

A senior US official said Witkoff and Kushner told Araghchi that Trump's position was “zero enrichment” on Iranian soil.

But the official said that if the proposal includes “small, token enrichment,” and if the Iranians offer detailed proof that it poses no threat, the US will study it.
Another senior Trump adviser said: “Trump is keeping his options open. He could decide on an attack at any moment.”

Pezeshkian: We Will Not Bow Our Heads

Meanwhile, Iranian ⁠President Masoud Pezeshkian said on Saturday that his country would not bow its ⁠head to pressure from world powers.

“World powers are lining up to force us to bow our heads... but we will not bow our heads despite all the problems that they are creating for us,” Pezeshkian said in a speech carried live by ⁠state TV.

But a senior US official told Axios that “Trump will be ready to accept a deal that would be substantive and that he can sell politically at home. If the Iranians want to prevent an attack they should give us an offer we can't refuse. The Iranians keep missing the window. If they play games there won't be a lot of patience.”

At the same time, Trump has been presented with military options that involve directly targeting the supreme leader.

The Trump adviser said the Pentagon had presented the US President with numerous options.

“They have something for every scenario. One scenario takes out the ayatollah and his son and the mullahs,” the adviser said, referring to Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei and his son Mojtaba, who is seen as a potential successor. “What the president chooses no one knows. I don't think he knows.”

A second source confirmed a plan to kill Khamenei and his son was floated to Trump several weeks ago.

Another senior Trump adviser said: “Trump is keeping his options open. He could decide on an attack at any moment.”

Zero Enrichment

In return, a senior US official said Witkoff and Kushner told Araghchi that Trump's position was “zero enrichment” on Iranian soil. But the official said that if the proposal includes “small, token enrichment,” and if the Iranians offer detailed proof that it poses no threat, the US will study it.

A source familiar with the talks told Axios that regional mediators told Iran and the US in recent days that any deal must enable both sides to claim victory and, if possible, also be something that Gulf countries can accept.

With the region bracing for war, the US official insisted that Washington would wait for Iran's proposal before deciding how to proceed, and whether there will be another round of talks.

CBS News quoted US officials as saying on Wednesday that Iran had floated the idea of pausing uranium enrichment for a specified period of time, possibly one to three years or five years, while some said this period covered the remainder of Trump's years in the White House.

For his part, Araghchi said on Friday that “Washington has not asked Tehran to permanently suspend uranium enrichment,” adding Tehran had not offered the US a temporary suspension of its uranium enrichment.

Iran's foreign minister said he expected to have a draft counterproposal ready within days following nuclear talks with the United States this ⁠week, while Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.

Two US officials told Reuters that US military planning on Iran had reached an advanced stage, with options including targeting individuals as part of an attack and even pursuing leadership change in Tehran, if ordered by Trump.

Araghchi said after indirect discussions in Geneva this week with Witkoff and Kushner that the sides had reached an understanding on main “guiding principles,” but that did not mean a deal was ⁠imminent.

The foreign minister, in an interview on MS NOW, said he had a draft counterproposal that could be ready in the next two or three days for top Iranian officials to review, with more US-Iran talks possible in a week or so.


Pakistan Launches Deadly Strikes in Afghanistan

Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM
Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM
TT

Pakistan Launches Deadly Strikes in Afghanistan

Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM
Pakistani soldiers patrol the scene where a police officer was killed in the line of duty during an attack on a polio vaccination campaign team, in Chaman, Balochistan province, Pakistan, 06 February 2026. EPA/AKHTER GULFAM

Pakistan said Sunday it launched multiple air strikes targeting militants in neighboring Afghanistan, where the government reported children were among dozens of people killed and wounded.

The overnight attacks were the most extensive since border clashes in October killed more than 70 people on both sides and wounded hundreds.

Islamabad said it hit seven sites along the border region targeting Afghanistan-based militant groups "in the aftermath of recent suicide bombing incidents in Pakistan".

The military targeted the Pakistani Taliban and its associates, as well as an affiliate of ISIS, a statement by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said.

Afghanistan's defense ministry said "dozens of innocent civilians, including women and children, were martyred and wounded" when strikes hit a madrasa and homes in Nangarhar and Paktika provinces.

An AFP journalist in Nangarhar's Bihsud district said residents from around the remote and mountainous area joined rescuers in one village, using a digger and shovels to search for bodies under the rubble.

Afghanistan's defense ministry said it will "deliver an appropriate and calculated response" to the Pakistani strikes.

The two countries have been locked in an increasingly bitter dispute since the Taliban authorities retook control of Afghanistan in 2021.

Pakistani military action killed 70 Afghan civilians between October and December, according to the UN mission in Afghanistan.