Peace Hopes Dented as Russia Says Ukraine Tried to Attack Putin Residence

Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting on the "special military operation" amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict in Moscow, Russia, December 29, 2025. Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via REUTERS
Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting on the "special military operation" amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict in Moscow, Russia, December 29, 2025. Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via REUTERS
TT

Peace Hopes Dented as Russia Says Ukraine Tried to Attack Putin Residence

Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting on the "special military operation" amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict in Moscow, Russia, December 29, 2025. Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via REUTERS
Russian President Vladimir Putin chairs a meeting on the "special military operation" amid the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict in Moscow, Russia, December 29, 2025. Sputnik/Mikhail Metzel/Pool via REUTERS

Russia accused Ukraine on Monday of trying to attack President Vladimir Putin's residence in northern Russia, although it provided no evidence to back up an assertion that Kyiv dismissed as baseless and designed to undermine peace negotiations. 

The angry exchanges - including a statement by Russia that it was reviewing its stance in negotiations in response to the attack - dealt a new blow to prospects for peace in Ukraine. 

On Sunday US President Donald Trump met President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in Florida and said they were "getting a lot closer, maybe very close" to an agreement to end the war, although "thorny" territorial issues remained. 

Putin also struck a defiant tone on Monday, telling his army to press on with a campaign to take full control of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia region, and the Kremlin repeated demands for Kyiv to pull its forces out of the last part of the Donbas area that they still hold in eastern Ukraine. 

Putin told Trump by phone that Russia, which invaded Ukraine in February 2022, was reviewing its stance following the reported drone attack, an aide said. 

LAVROV ACCUSES ‌UKRAINE, ZELENSKIY ISSUES ‌DENIAL 

Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Ukraine had tried to attack Putin's residence in the ‌Novgorod ⁠region west of Moscow on ‌December 28-29 with 91 long-range drones which were all destroyed by Russian air defenses. No one was injured and there was no damage, he said in comments reported by Russian media. 

"Such reckless actions will not go unanswered," the veteran foreign minister said, describing the attack as "state terrorism" and adding that targets had already been selected for retaliatory strikes by Russia's armed forces. 

Lavrov appeared in televised remarks not to have offered any evidence for his assertions. It was not clear where Putin was at the time. 

Lavrov noted that the attack took place during negotiations about a possible peace deal, and said Russia would review its negotiating stance but not quit the negotiations. 

Denying Ukraine had planned such an attack, Zelenskiy accused Moscow ⁠of preparing the ground to strike government buildings in Kyiv, saying Russia wanted to undermine progress at US-Ukrainian talks on ending the war. 

"Another round of lies from the Russian Federation," Zelenskiy ‌told reporters via WhatsApp. 

"It is clear that we had a meeting with ‍Trump yesterday, and it is clear that for the Russians, if ‍there is no scandal between us and America, and we are making progress - for them it is a failure, because they do ‍not want to end this war." 

He added: "I am sure they are simply preparing the ground for strikes, probably on the capital, probably on government buildings." 

Ukrainian Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said on X the attack was a fabrication intended to create a pretext for more Russian attacks on Ukraine and to undermine the peace process. He urged world leaders to condemn Russia over its accusations. 

TERRITORIAL ISSUES UNRESOLVED 

Zelenskiy said a bilateral agreement had been outlined with Trump on security guarantees for Kyiv on Sunday, although the US president said they were only 95% ready and Zelenskiy said on Monday that he had sought a 50-year security deal. 

Trump also said he expected European countries ⁠to "take over a big part" of security efforts with US backing. Agreement on such moves would be complicated, as Russia has said any foreign troop deployment in Ukraine would be unacceptable. 

Zelenskiy said on Monday two main issues in a 20-point peace proposal remained to be resolved - control of Ukraine's Zaporizhzhia nuclear power station, which is in Russian hands, and the fate of the Donbas area. 

Russia controls about a fifth of Ukraine, including the Crimean peninsula, which it annexed in 2014. 

It claims Donbas - comprising the Donetsk and Luhansk regions - as well as the Zaporizhzhia and Kherson regions, although they are all internationally recognized as Ukraine's sovereign territory. 

Russia wants Kyiv to withdraw troops from parts of the Donetsk region it has failed to occupy. Kyiv wants fighting halted along current front lines, and Washington has proposed a free economic zone if Ukraine pulls troops back. 

Underlining Russia's intention of standing firm on its territorial ambitions, Putin said on Monday his generals should push on with efforts to secure all of Zaporizhzhia region - of which Moscow already controls around 75%. 

Colonel-General Mikhail Teplinsky, commander of Russia's Dnieper military grouping, told Putin Russian forces were 15 km (9.3 miles) ‌from its biggest city, also called Zaporizhzhia. 

"In the near future, it is necessary to continue the offensive, together with the East grouping to liberate Zaporizhzhia," Putin responded. 



Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
TT

Russia's Lavrov Warns against Any New US Strike on Iran

FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo
FILE PHOTO: Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov speaks during an annual press conference in Moscow, Russia, January 14, 2025. REUTERS/Evgenia Novozhenina/File Photo

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, in ‌an interview made public on Wednesday, said that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences and called for restraint to find a solution to enable Iran to pursue a peaceful nuclear program.

Lavrov's interview with Saudi Arabia's Al-Arabiya television was aired a day after US and Iranian negotiators held indirect talks in Geneva to head off a new mounting crisis between Washington and Tehran, Reuters said.

"The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on ‌nuclear sites ‌under the control of the International Atomic ‌Energy ⁠Agency. From what ⁠we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident," Lavrov said in the interview, which was posted on his ministry's website.

"I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire."

Boosting ⁠tensions, he said, could undo the ‌positive steps of recent years, including ‌improved relations between Iran and nearby countries, notably Saudi Arabia.

A senior ‌US official told Reuters on Wednesday that Iran was ‌expected to submit a written proposal on how to resolve its standoff with the United States after the talks in Geneva.

US national security advisers met in the White House on Wednesday and ‌were told all US military forces deployed to the region should be in place ⁠by mid-March, ⁠the official said.

The United States wants Iran to give up its nuclear program, and Iran has adamantly refused and denied it is trying to develop an atomic weapon.

Lavrov said Arab countries were sending signals to Washington "clearly calling for restraint and a search for an agreement that will not infringe on Iran's lawful rights and ... guarantee that Iran has a purely peaceful nuclear enrichment program".

Russia, he said, remained in close, regular contact with Iran's leaders "and we have no reason to doubt that Iran sincerely wants to resolve this problem on the basis of observing the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty".


AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
TT

AI Cannot Be Left to 'Whims of a Few Billionaires', UN Chief Says

India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaks with United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres during a welcoming ceremony at AI Impact Summit, in New Delhi, India, February 18, 2026. India's Press Information Bureau/Handout via REUTERS

UN chief Antonio Guterres warned technology leaders Thursday of the risks of artificial intelligence, saying its future cannot be left to "the whims of a few billionaires".

Speaking at a global AI summit in India, the UN chief called on tech tycoons to support a $3 billion global fund to ensure open access to the fast-advancing technology for all.

"AI must belong to everyone," he said.

"The future of AI cannot be decided by a handful of countries -- or left to the whims of a few billionaires," he added, warning the world risked deepening inequality unless urgent steps were taken.

"Done right, AI can... accelerate breakthroughs in medicine, expand learning opportunities, strengthen food security, bolster climate action and disaster preparedness and improve access to vital public services," he said.

"But it can also deepen inequality, amplify bias and fuel harm."

The UN has set up an AI scientific advisory body to help countries make decisions about the revolutionary technology.

Guterres warned that people must be protected from exploitation, and that "no child should be a test subject for unregulated AI".

He pressed for global guardrails to ensure oversight and accountability, and the creation of "Global Fund on AI" to build basic capacity.

"Our target is $3 billion," he told the conference, which includes national leaders as well as tech CEOs, including Sam Altman of OpenAI and Google's Sundar Pichai.

"That's less than one percent of the annual revenue of a single tech company. A small price for AI diffusion that benefits all, including the businesses building AI."

Without investment, "many countries will be logged out of the AI age", exacerbating global divides, he said.

He also cautioned that as AI's energy and water demands soar, data centers must switch to clean power, rather than "shift costs to vulnerable communities".


US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
TT

US Military Tells Trump It's ‘Ready’ to Strike Iran as Soon as Saturday

A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)
A shot showing personnel preparations aboard the US aircraft carrier "Gerald Ford" (US Navy)

Top national security officials have told US President Donald Trump the military is ready for potential strikes on Iran as soon as Saturday, but the timeline for any action is likely to extend beyond this weekend, sources familiar with the discussions told CBS News.

Trump has not yet made a final decision about whether to strike, said the officials, who spoke under condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive national matters.

The conversations have been described as fluid and ongoing, as the White House weighs the risks of escalation and the political and military consequences of restraint, added CBS.

Over the next three days, the Pentagon is moving some personnel temporarily out of the Middle East region — primarily to Europe or back to the United States — ahead of potential action or counterattacks by Iran if the US were to move ahead with its operation, according to multiple officials.

It's standard practice for the Pentagon to shift assets and personnel ahead of a potential US military activity and doesn't necessarily signal an attack on Iran is imminent, one of the sources told CBS.

Contacted by CBS News on Wednesday afternoon, a Pentagon spokesperson said they had no information to provide.

Iran was discussed in the White House Situation Room on Wednesday, a US official and a senior military official told CBS News. All military forces deployed to the region are expected to be in place by mid-March.

Axios had also said that a war between the United States and Iran is looming — and there are several factors suggesting President Trump might push the button soon.

On Wednesday, Iran's top diplomat Abbas Araghchi said that Tehran was "drafting" a framework for future talks with the United States, as the US energy secretary said Washington would stop Iran's nuclear ambitions "one way or another".