Iran President Says Will Not ‘Give in to Excessive Demands’ 

Masoud Pezeshkian, the President of Iran, attends the United Nations General Assembly at United Nations headquarters, on Sept. 25, 2025. (AP)
Masoud Pezeshkian, the President of Iran, attends the United Nations General Assembly at United Nations headquarters, on Sept. 25, 2025. (AP)
TT

Iran President Says Will Not ‘Give in to Excessive Demands’ 

Masoud Pezeshkian, the President of Iran, attends the United Nations General Assembly at United Nations headquarters, on Sept. 25, 2025. (AP)
Masoud Pezeshkian, the President of Iran, attends the United Nations General Assembly at United Nations headquarters, on Sept. 25, 2025. (AP)

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said Wednesday that his country would "not yield to excessive demands" on its nuclear program, after Tehran resumed talks with the United States.

"Our country, Iran, will not yield to their excessive demands," he said in a speech at Azadi Square in the capital for the 47th anniversary of Iran's revolution.

"Our Iran will not yield in the face of aggression, but we are continuing dialogue with all our strength with neighboring countries in order to establish peace and tranquility in the region."

Iran marked the revolution anniversary as the country’s theocracy remains under pressure, both from US President Donald Trump who suggested sending another aircraft carrier group to the Middle East and a public angrily denouncing Tehran's bloody crackdown on nationwide protests.

The commemoration represented a spit-screen view of life in Iran, with state television showing hundreds of thousands of people across the country attending pro-government rallies, which included the burning of American flags and cries of “Death to America!”

A top Iranian security official traveled Qatar on Wednesday after earlier visiting Oman, which has mediated this latest round of negotiations. Just before the official's arrival, Qatar's ruling emir received a phone call from Trump.

In his speech, Pezeshkian also insisted that his nation was “not seeking nuclear weapons. ... and are ready for any kind of verification.” However, the United Nations’ nuclear watchdog — the International Atomic Energy Agency — has been unable for months to inspect and verify Iran’s nuclear stockpile.

“The high wall of mistrust that the United States and Europe have created through their past statements and actions does not allow these talks to reach a conclusion,” Pezeshkian said.

Tehran’s missile capabilities are a red line and “non-negotiable,” said Ali Shamkhani, adviser to Iran's supreme leader said at the commemoration. 

Commemoration overshadowed by crackdown

On Iranian state TV, authorities broadcast images of people taking to the streets across the country Wednesday to support the theocracy and its 86-year-old Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

But on Tuesday night, as government-sponsored fireworks lit the darkened sky, witnesses heard shouts from people’s homes in the Iranian capital, Tehran, of “Death to the dictator!”

In the streets Wednesday, people waved images of Khamenei and Khomeini, the founder of the Islamic Republic, alongside Iranian and Palestinian flags. Some chanted “Death to America!” and “Death to Israel!” Others criticized Iran's exiled crown prince, Reza Pahlavi, who had been calling for anti-government protests.

“I am here to say we don’t stop supporting our leader and our country as the Americans and Israelis are increasingly threatening" us, said Reza Jedi, a 43-year-old participant.

Among Iran's 85 million people, there is a hard-line element of support for Iran's theocracy, including members of the country's powerful paramilitary Revolutionary Guard, which crucially put down the protests last month in a bloody suppression that killed thousands and saw tens of thousands detained, according to activists.

Also, many Iranians often take part in pro-theocracy demonstrations as they are government employees or turn up to enjoy the carnival atmosphere of a government-sponsored holiday. Iran has 2.5 million government employees, with a fifth in Tehran alone.

While not directly addressing the bloodshed by authorities, Pezeshkian acknowledged the crackdown that began in earnest on Jan. 8 had “caused great sorrow.”

“We are ashamed before the people, and we are obligated to assist all those who were harmed in these incidents,” he said. “We are not seeking confrontation with the people.”

However, he also criticized what he described as “Western propaganda” over the crackdown.

One man sadly watched the commemoration from a sidewalk in Tehran, not taking part.

“I regularly participated in the rally in past years,” said the man, who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisal. “But how can I do that now as the streets' asphalt were bloodied last month?”

Larijani in Qatar

As the commemoration took place, senior Iranian security official Ali Larijani left Oman for Qatar, a Mideast nation that hosts a major US military installation and one that Iran attacked in June after the US bombed Iranian nuclear sites during the 12-day Iran-Israel war.

The state-run Qatar News Agency reported that Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani spoke with Trump about “the current situation in the region and international efforts aimed at de-escalation and strengthening regional security and peace,” without elaborating.

Speaking to the Russian state channel RT, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran still does “not have full trust for the Americans.”

“Last time we negotiated, last June we were in the middle of negotiation then they decided to attack us and that was a very very bad experience for us,” he said. “We need to make sure that that scenario is not repeated and this is mostly up to America.”

Despite that concern, Araghchi said it could be possible “to come to a better deal than Obama,” referencing the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers Iran reached when former US President Barack Obama was in office. Trump in his first term unilaterally withdrew America from the accord.



EU Denounces New US Waiver of Russian Oil Sanctions

European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

EU Denounces New US Waiver of Russian Oil Sanctions

European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The European Union criticized Tuesday the latest US waiver of sanctions on Russian oil, announced while G7 finance ministers were meeting to reach a common response to multiple economic challenges.

Washington's move aims to help lower energy prices that have skyrocketed since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in February, effectively shutting the Strait of Hormuz to Gulf oil tanker traffic.

But EU economics commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis denounced the extensions, which have given Moscow a financial boost as it pursues its war against Ukraine.

"From the EU point of view, we do not think that this is a time to ease pressure on Russia," Dombrovskis told journalists while arriving for a second day of G7 talks in Paris.

"In fact, Russia is the one which is gaining from the war in Iran and the increase in fossil fuel prices," he said. "If anything, we would need to strengthen the pressure."

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is in Paris for the Group of Seven talks hosted by France, which currently chairs the group's rotating presidency.

"Secretary Bessent was reassuring us that this is a temporary measure, but we know that it's already a second extension of the measure which initially was meant to last only 30 days," Dombrovskis said.

French Finance Minister Roland Lescure said a joint statement would nonetheless be made following talks that are to wind up Tuesday.

"We've had extremely frank discussions between people who do not necessarily agree on everything, but who are able to talk about everything," he told journalists.

The talks aim to keep dialogue open as trade feuds spurred by US President Donald Trump's tariff blitz compound geopolitical tensions.


Türkiye Arrests 110 on Suspicion of ISIS Ties

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
TT

Türkiye Arrests 110 on Suspicion of ISIS Ties

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)

Turkish counter-terror police on Tuesday arrested 110 people on suspicion of activities in support of the ISIS group in an operation largely targeting Istanbul, the Anadolu state news agency said.

The suspects are accused of organizing classes in illegal associations, educating young children with ISIS ideology, collecting money for the group and seeking to recruit new ISIS members, in an operation coordinated by the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office.

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul, with police seizing four rifles and 90 cartridges along with documents and digital materials.

Last week, police arrested another 324 people in raids targeting ISIS suspects across 47 provinces, the interior ministry said.

On April 7, a gunman was killed and two others were wounded in a shootout outside the Israeli consulate in Istanbul.

Interior Minister Mustafa Ciftci said one of them was linked to an "organization that exploits religion", which Turkish media reported was ISIS.

At the end of December, ISIS militants opened fire on police in the northwestern town of Yalova, killing three officers and wounding nine others.

Six ISIS militants were also killed in the hours-long gun battle that followed, with Türkiye rounding up more than 600 suspected members of the group in the following weeks.


WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
TT

WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)

The World Health Organization chief voiced concern on Tuesday about the "scale and speed" of an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has killed an estimated 131 people. 

The WHO has declared the surge of the highly contagious hemorrhagic fever an international health emergency and will hold an emergency meeting on the crisis on Tuesday. 

No vaccine or therapeutic treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola responsible for the latest outbreak of the disease, which has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa in the past half century. 

With the new outbreak largely concentrated in difficult-to-access areas, few samples have been laboratory-tested and figures are based mostly on suspected cases. 

"We have recorded roughly 131 deaths in total and we have around 513 suspected cases," Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said on national television early Tuesday. 

"The deaths we are reporting are all the deaths we have identified in the community, without necessarily saying that they are all linked to Ebola," he added. 

The previous figures from the outbreak, declared late last week in the country's east, gave a total of 91 dead out of 350 suspected cases. 

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the decision to declare the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations was not taken "lightly". 

"I'm deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic," he told the World Health Assembly in Geneva on Tuesday. 

The outbreak's epicenter is in northeastern Ituri province on the border with Uganda and South Sudan. 

As a gold-mining hub, it sees people regularly crisscrossing the region and has been plagued by clashes between local militias for years. 

The virus has already spread into neighboring provinces, as well as beyond the DRC's borders. 

- 'Mystical illness' - 

Suspected cases have been reported in the commercial hub of Butembo in neighboring North Kivu province, some 200 kilometers (125 miles) away from the epidemic's ground zero, Kamba said, without giving further details. 

Another case has been recorded in Goma, North Kivu's key provincial capital currently under the control of the Rwanda-backed M23 anti-governmental armed group. 

"Unfortunately, the alert was slow to circulate within the community, because people thought it was a mystical illness, and so, as a result, the sick were not taken to the hospital," Kamba said. 

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has declared the outbreak a continental public health emergency. 

The step enables the Africa CDC, based in Ethiopia, to mobilize extra resources including emergency response teams and surveillance operations. 

Tedros said that 30 cases had been confirmed to be Ebola in Ituri province. 

"Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC," he told the annual meeting of the health agency's decision-taking body. 

A US citizen has tested positive for the virus following exposure related "to their work" in the DRC, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. 

The patient is due to arrive in Germany for treatment, the German health ministry said on Tuesday. 

The United States has announced it was bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air passengers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services. 

It is attempting to evacuate six additional people to monitor their health, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Monday. 

First identified in 1976 and believed to have originated in bats, Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure. 

The outbreak is the 17th in the central African country of more than 100 million people. 

The deadliest Ebola outbreak in the DRC claimed nearly 2,300 lives out of 3,500 cases between 2018 and 2020. 

The previous outbreak before the current one killed 45 people between September and December last year, the WHO said.