Al Qaeda-linked Group Killed at Least 12 Truck Drivers in Mali, HRW Says

Burkina Faso army during a raid on terrorist sites of al-Qaeda (File photo)
Burkina Faso army during a raid on terrorist sites of al-Qaeda (File photo)
TT

Al Qaeda-linked Group Killed at Least 12 Truck Drivers in Mali, HRW Says

Burkina Faso army during a raid on terrorist sites of al-Qaeda (File photo)
Burkina Faso army during a raid on terrorist sites of al-Qaeda (File photo)

Islamist militants from an al Qaeda-linked group killed 10 long-haul truck drivers and two teenage apprentices who were travelling through Mali's western Kayes region in late January, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Tuesday.

Jama'at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM) attacked a military-escorted fuel convoy of at least 40 trucks, the HRW report said.

JNIM, which mainly operates in Mali and Burkina Faso, has emerged as the region's strongest militant group. It aims to impose its rule across the Sahel and extend its influence to coastal West Africa.

Malian military authorities have turned to armed escorts to ease a fuel supply blockade on the landlocked country imposed by the insurgents.

Witnesses told HRW the convoy, which was supposed to supply fuel to the Kayes region, had left Senegal's capital Dakar on January 27 and crossed Mali's border the next day.

JNIM fighters captured several drivers who abandoned their trucks when the attackers opened fire, later executing 12 while releasing others, HRW said.

Six drivers have been missing since the attack, the report said.

Mali's truck drivers union told Reuters last month that 15 drivers were captured and executed on the spot during the attack.

Mali's authorities did not immediately respond to a Reuters request for comment.



Colombia Estimates Quake Damage at $9.6 Billion

A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
TT

Colombia Estimates Quake Damage at $9.6 Billion

A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)
A view of the damage to the Carrasquilla Industrial Educational Institution, as seen during a visit by singer Shakira, in Quibdo, Colombia, 17 August 2026. (EPA)

The powerful earthquake that killed hundreds of people in western Colombia caused $9.57 billion in economic losses, President Abelardo de la Espriella said on Tuesday, issuing a preliminary estimate.

The 7.4-magnitude tremor, which struck on August 10, was the most powerful in Colombia in nearly half a century.

The death toll stands at 289, with a further 4,187 injured and 143 missing.

Nearly 27,000 homes were destroyed, leaving many people sleeping in the streets or in public parks.

Dozens of hospitals and schools also collapsed or were damaged.

"Imagine the scale of the disaster," said De la Espriella, a political novice who took office just three days before the disaster.

The crisis has been a baptism of fire for De la Espriella, a right-wing lawyer and business magnate who was elected on a promise to flush out the drug-trafficking rebels that control part of Colombia.

He said Tuesday he had tasked his housing minister with launching a "miracle" reconstruction plan, with the backing of the private sector.

But the minister, Jaime Andres Beltran, has been under fire for taking a Caribbean holiday in the immediate aftermath of the quake.


Trump Says No Talks Planned with Iran, Tehran Says Strait of Hormuz Still Shut

Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Trump Says No Talks Planned with Iran, Tehran Says Strait of Hormuz Still Shut

Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday no talks were taking place with Iran and none were scheduled, and he insisted that the Strait of Hormuz was open, contradicting an earlier Iranian assertion that the critical waterway remained shut to shipping. 

The receding prospects of a deal to end the nearly six-month conflict drove up oil prices again on Tuesday, while stock markets sagged and borrowing costs for major economies including the US hit multi-decade highs, amid concerns about the long-term inflationary and fiscal impact of the crisis. 

A temporary ceasefire agreement expired on Monday and a senior Iranian official told Reuters that his country was moving to a "fully offensive" military posture due to the diplomatic stalemate, though there were no reports of fresh strikes by either side on Tuesday. 

"There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with Iran," Trump said ‌in a post on Truth Social on Tuesday. 

"The Naval Blockade remains in full force and ‌effect. ⁠The Hormuz Strait is ⁠open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated," he added. 

On Monday, Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and special envoy, had sounded an optimistic note, saying talks with Iran were still under way and were "probably more robust" than they had ever been. 

SHIPPING DISRUPTED 

Despite Trump's typically ebullient remarks about the situation in the Gulf, preliminary shipping data on Tuesday showed ship crossings via the Strait of Hormuz were still in single digits on Monday. 

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said it received a report on Tuesday that a vessel was struck by an unknown projectile while transiting outbound in the Strait of Hormuz, causing engine room damage and a crew casualty. 

The ⁠remaining crew were being assisted by the Omani Coast Guard, according to the report. 

Top Iranian ‌negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said in comments published by state media that the ‌strait would remain shut until the US met the conditions of an interim deal signed with Iran in June. 

These conditions include the US ‌lifting its blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, releasing Tehran's frozen assets, and ending threats and military operations on ‌all fronts, Qalibaf told parliament. 

A memorandum of understanding signed on June 17 had set a 60-day time frame for a broader deal on Iran's nuclear program and US sanctions. That period elapsed on Monday and Trump said he had no plans to extend it. 

The agreement, which declared the "immediate and permanent termination of military operations on all fronts," had quickly unraveled over a dispute about control of the Strait of Hormuz, the ‌narrow waterway through which a fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas flowed before the war. 

IRAN SAYS IT STILL OPEN TO TALKS 

Both Trump and Tehran have frequently ⁠switched between threats and more emollient ⁠rhetoric as they seek a way out of the crisis, which erupted when the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran on February 28. 

Iran remains open to dialogue with the US but does not confuse negotiations with surrender, Mohammad Mokhber, an adviser to Iran's supreme leader, said on Tuesday, according to the semi-official Fars news agency. 

Mokhber said military pressure and sanctions would not break Iran's resolve and that the country would defend its security, dignity and allies while not seeking war. 

Even as Iran projects resilience in the war, its leaders are worried that a threat of more economic punishment could increase hardships, reignite unrest and further erode the regime’s legitimacy, according to three Iranian officials. 

Thousands of people have been killed in the conflict, mainly in Iran and Lebanon. Iran has bombed countries including Oman, Jordan, Kuwait, Israel, the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia. 

Benchmark Brent crude oil futures have surged during the conflict, hitting a peak of $126 a barrel, roughly 75% above pre-war levels. Brent crude futures settled up 20 cents on Tuesday at just over $91 a barrel. 

For Americans who will vote in November congressional elections, gasoline prices have risen above $4 per gallon, up from less than $3 before the war, according to the automotive group AAA. 


Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Firefighters Push to ‘Encircle’ Belgian Wildfire

 Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)
Belgian firefighters work in a forest affected by a wildfire in Waimes, in the High Fens (Hautes Fagnes) region, Belgium, August 18, 2026. (Reuters)

Firefighters launched a potentially decisive push Tuesday to encircle Belgium's largest wildfire in a century, despite wind and rain hampering air support operations over the High Fens nature reserve.

The blaze charring the vast expanse of boggy peatlands, pine trees and hiking trails grew over the weekend to half the size of Manhattan -- 3,000 hectares (7,500 acres) -- with hundreds of firefighters working night and day to wrestle it under control.

"We are trying to definitively encircle the fire today," regional government spokesperson Nicolas Yernaux told AFP.

In areas where firefighters could operate, he confirmed the fire was "under control and contained."

But a hard-to-access front towards the German border remains a concern -- with residents in the border town of Monschau already under evacuation orders due to the smoke hazard.

Firefighters worked through the night to make a crucial link-up between the eastern and northern fronts, under very difficult access conditions.

"We're talking about one or two kilometers, and we're on the verge of achieving it," Yernaux told AFP, despite "sustained winds" blowing towards the German border.

Water-bombing aircraft from several countries have been deployed -- with two Norwegian helicopters the latest to fly in on Monday night -- but they have been repeatedly grounded by low cloud and rain. There are also aircraft from Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands.

Yernaux said it was unclear given weather conditions when they would be able to take off again.

"There may be windows of opportunity this morning, but it may not be before tonight."

A huge area has been blanketed by a thick plume of yellowish smoke, with fumes detected as far as eastern France, where authorities issued an air-pollution alert.

The smoke triggered evacuations in one Belgian village and two hamlets of a second -- with residents of the hamlet of Sourbrodt given the green light to return home on Monday night.

- As long as it takes -

Europe has been swept by weeks of devastating wildfires fueled by dry conditions and a historically hot summer, with France, Greece, Portugal and Spain also battling major fires.

The High Fens blaze broke out in an area that was ravaged by massive fires in 1911, during a similar period of heatwaves.

It is the country's largest wildfire since.

During a visit on site with King Philippe on Monday, Belgium's interior minister Bernard Quintin told media it could take "several weeks" of soaking and dousing the area to prevent the fire from reigniting -- even once brought under control.

On-site operations have been made much harder by the fens' terrain -- a patchwork of heath, peat bogs and raised wooden boardwalks where heavy vehicles risk sinking into the ground -- and firefighters struggle to tackle the fire at close range.

They have been counting heavily on aerial assistance to bring the situation under control.

Local farmers have also poured in to help, working shifts to oversee a ballet of tractors pulling in tankers of water from a nearby lake.

"We'll take it in turns as long as it needs -- the team is all set," a farmer from nearby Waremme, told AFP Monday. "We'll keep going until the finish line."

Like much of Europe, Belgium has experienced a new spell of intense heat and drought in recent days.

Temperatures reached as high as 37C in some parts of the country last week, creating conditions conducive to wildfire outbreaks.