Trump Says US Talking with an Iranian Leader as He Extends Deadline for Striking Power Plants

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
TT

Trump Says US Talking with an Iranian Leader as He Extends Deadline for Striking Power Plants

Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)
Iranian Red Crescent emergency workers use a bulldozer to clear rubble from a residential building that was hit in an earlier US-Israeli strike in Tehran, Iran, Monday, March 23, 2026. (AP Photo/Vahid Salemi)

US President Donald Trump said Monday the US was talking with a “respected” Iranian leader and claimed the country was eager for a deal to end the war. He also extended a deadline for Iran to reopen the crucial Strait of Hormuz or face attacks on its power plants, saying it has an additional five days. 

Trump’s turnaround, which held out the possibility of resolving the war now in its fourth week, served to drive down oil prices and jolt stocks. It offered a reprieve after the US and Iran traded threats over the weekend that could have cut electricity to millions in Iran and around the Gulf, and knocked out desalination plants providing many desert nations with drinking water. 

Trump told reporters Iran wants “to make a deal,” and claimed US envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner had held talks with an Iranian leader on Sunday. He did not say who that was, but said the US has not talked to Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei. 

Iran denied talks had been held. “No negotiations have been held with the US,” Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf posted on X, adding that “fakenews is used to manipulate the financial and oil markets.” 

Negotiations underway 

Trump said if a deal is reached, the US would move to take Iran’s enriched uranium, which is critical to its disputed nuclear program. Iran has adamantly refused such demands in the past, insisting it has the right to enrich uranium for peaceful purposes. 

Türkiye and Egypt meanwhile said they had spoken to the warring parties, the first sign of coordinated mediation from regional heavyweights. 

The war launched by the United States and Israel has killed more than 2,000 people, shaken the global economy, sent oil prices surging, and endangered some of the world’s busiest air corridors. 

Trump threatened over the weekend to “obliterate” Iran’s power plants unless the country releases its stranglehold on the Strait of Hormuz, through which a fifth of all traded oil passes, within 48 hours. That deadline would have expired late Monday Washington time. 

The extension by five days was “subject to the success of the ongoing meetings and discussions,” Trump said. In Tehran, the state-owned IRAN newspaper suggested Trump's comments were “part of efforts to reduce energy prices and buy time to implement his military plans.” 

Earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said he spoke by phone with his Turkish counterpart, Hakan Fidan. Türkiye has been an intermediary in past talks between Tehran and Washington. 

Türkiye’s Foreign Ministry declined to comment Monday on whether the country had relayed messages between Iran and the US. On Sunday, Turkish officials said Fidan had also spoken to his counterparts from Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Egypt, and the European Union, as well as with US officials as part of efforts to end the war. 

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi said Cairo has delivered “clear messages” to Iran focusing on de-escalating the conflict, according to his office. Egypt's Foreign Ministry said it was making “constant efforts and communications” with all parties. 

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer indicated he was aware of talks between Iran and the US. 

“We, the UK, were aware that was happening,” he said Monday, without giving further details. 

Iran threatened retaliation  

Iran’s paramilitary Revolutionary Guard had promised retaliation if Trump carried out his threat, saying Iran would hit power plants in all areas supplying electricity to American bases, “as well as the economic, industrial and energy infrastructures in which Americans have shares.” 

Qalibaf, the parliament speaker, said earlier that Iran would consider vital infrastructure across the region to be legitimate targets. 

Iran’s semiofficial Fars news agency, which is close to the Revolutionary Guard, published a list of such facilities. Over the weekend, Iran launched missiles targeting the city of Dimona in Israel, near a facility key to its long-suspected atomic weapons program. The facility wasn’t damaged. 

Iran says Trump backed down 

In the wake of Trump's turnaround, Fars and the Tasnim news agencies portrayed the American president as backing down. 

“Since the start of the war, messages have been sent to Tehran by some mediators, but Iran’s clear response has been that it will continue its defense until the required level of deterrence is achieved,” Tasnim said. “With this kind of psychological warfare, neither the Strait of Hormuz will return to prewar conditions nor will calm return to energy markets.” 

With the US deploying more amphibious assault ships and additional Marines to the Middle East, Iran's Defense Council warned against any ground attack, saying it would “lead to the mining of all access routes.” 

Trump has said he has no plans to send ground forces into Iran but has not ruled it out. Israel has suggested its ground forces could take part in the war. 

Oil prices drop after Trump announcement  

Iran's chokehold on the Strait of Hormuz has wreaked havoc on energy markets and pushed up consumer prices well beyond the Middle East. 

Oil prices were stubbornly high in early trading Monday, but plunged after Trump's announcement. 

Jorge Moreira da Silva, a senior United Nations official, said the world has already seen a ripple effect, including “exponential price hikes in oil, fuel and gas” that impact millions, primarily in Asian and African developing countries. 



Israel PM Says Trump Agreed Any Final Iran Deal Must End ‘Nuclear Threat Entirely’

US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel PM Says Trump Agreed Any Final Iran Deal Must End ‘Nuclear Threat Entirely’

US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)
US President Donald Trump points his finger towards Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu during a press conference after meeting at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida, US, December 29, 2025. (Reuters)

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday he and US President Donald Trump had agreed that any final deal with Iran must fully end the Islamic republic's "nuclear threat".

Netanyahu was referring to a conversation between the two leaders on Saturday night, which Trump had earlier said "went very well".

"President Trump and I agreed that any final agreement with Iran must eliminate the nuclear threat entirely. This means dismantling Iran's uranium enrichment facilities and removing enriched nuclear material from its territory," Netanyahu said in a statement.

"My policy, like that of President Trump, remains unchanged: Iran will not obtain nuclear weapons," he added.

Netanyahu said the two also discussed the memorandum of understanding on the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

"The partnership between our two nations has been proven on the battlefield, and it has never been stronger," the Israeli leader said, adding that Trump had reaffirmed his support for Israel's right to defend itself against threats on all fronts, "including in Lebanon".


Protesters in Spain Condemn Police Handling of Gaza Flotilla Activists

People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)
People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)
TT

Protesters in Spain Condemn Police Handling of Gaza Flotilla Activists

People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)
People hold Palestinian flags during a press conference organized by Basque Delegation within the Global Sumud Flotilla, in Bilbao, northern Spain, 24 May 2026. (EPA)

Around two thousand protesters ‌took to the streets of the Spanish city of Bilbao on Sunday to condemn the Basque police's treatment of activists from a Gaza aid flotilla on their return from detention in Israel.

When a relative of one of the six returning activists tried to approach them at Bilbao airport on Saturday, a police officer forcefully prevented him from doing so, leading to scuffles between both sides, images from state broadcaster TVE showed.

Images showed police striking people ‌with batons and ‌pinning others to the ground while being ‌jeered ⁠by onlookers. Before this, ⁠activists appeared to have blocked the exit for other passengers and police tried to move them.

The Basque regional police force said in a statement on Sunday it had launched an investigation to determine if officers complied with procedures. Reuters has reached out to the Spanish government for ⁠comment.

On Sunday's march, pro-Palestinian demonstrators carried banners ‌criticizing the Basque police force ‌and accusing the local government of being complicit with Zionism.

The ‌activists were released from Israeli custody after being detained ‌on a flotilla trying to bring aid to Gaza. Organizers alleged on Friday that the activists were subjected to abuse while in Israeli detention, with several hospitalized with injuries and at least ‌15 reporting sexual assaults, including rape.

Israel's prison service denied the allegations, and Reuters was not ⁠able to ⁠verify the activists' claims independently.

Spain was among a series of Western governments on Thursday which expressed their anger after Israeli minister Itamar Ben-Gvir posted a video of himself mocking the activists as they were pinned to the ground in a prison.

Francesca Albanese, a UN expert on the Palestinian territories, has called for those responsible for events at Bilbao airport to be held responsible, while Amnesty International has demanded a thorough investigation.

The Israeli Embassy in Spain has demanded an "explanation" from the Spanish government over the events at Bilbao airport.


Report: Macron Warns Belarus Against Involvement in Ukraine War

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Report: Macron Warns Belarus Against Involvement in Ukraine War

France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)
France's President Emmanuel Macron (C) speaks with Lens' French head coach Pierre Sage (L) ahead of the French Cup final football match between RC Lens and OGC Nice at the Stade de France stadium, in Saint-Denis, on the outskirts of Paris, on May 22, 2026. (AFP)

French President Emmanuel Macron on Sunday warned Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko, a key Russian ally, against an involvement in Moscow's war against Ukraine, a source close to Macron said.

The warning was made during the first reported phone call between the two leaders since the early days of Russia's invasion in February 2022, partly launched from Belarusian territory.

Macron "stressed the risks for Belarus of allowing itself to be drawn into Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine," the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.

"He also urged Alexander Lukashenko to take the necessary steps to improve relations between Belarus and Europe," the source added.

A brief readout on the Belarusian presidency's website said that "the heads of state discussed regional issues and Belarus' relations with the EU and with France in particular."

The conversation took place "at the initiative of the French side", the readout added.

Earlier in May, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky ordered troops to reinforce the border with Belarus in the north, claiming Moscow was preparing a new offensive from there. The Kremlin denied that.

Russia and its smaller ally Belarus held nuclear drills days ago, on May 18, as Kyiv escalated its drone attacks on Russia.

Belarus, which borders NATO's eastern flank, hosts Russia's latest nuclear-capable missile, the Oreshnik.

On Sunday, Russia used the ballistic hypersonic missile for the third time in the war against Ukraine, as part of a massive drone and missile barrage that caused widespread destruction across Kyiv.