Starmer Says UK to Host Multi-nation Meeting on Hormuz Shipping

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks during a press conference to update on the latest situation in the Middle East and how the government is supporting families at home at 10 Downing Street in London, on April 1, 2026. (Photo by Frank Augstein / POOL / AFP)
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks during a press conference to update on the latest situation in the Middle East and how the government is supporting families at home at 10 Downing Street in London, on April 1, 2026. (Photo by Frank Augstein / POOL / AFP)
TT

Starmer Says UK to Host Multi-nation Meeting on Hormuz Shipping

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks during a press conference to update on the latest situation in the Middle East and how the government is supporting families at home at 10 Downing Street in London, on April 1, 2026. (Photo by Frank Augstein / POOL / AFP)
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks during a press conference to update on the latest situation in the Middle East and how the government is supporting families at home at 10 Downing Street in London, on April 1, 2026. (Photo by Frank Augstein / POOL / AFP)

Britain will this week hold a meeting of about 35 countries to discuss how to reopen the strategic Strait of Hormuz which has been crippled by the Middle East war, Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced Wednesday.

UK Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper will host the discussions, Starmer told reporters during a Downing Street press conference, without specifying the day of the talks.

The meeting will "assess all viable diplomatic and political measures that we can take to restore freedom of navigation, guarantee the safety of trapped ships and seafarers and resume the movement of vital commodities", Starmer said.

"Following that meeting, we will also convene our military planners to look at how we can marshal our capabilities and make the strait accessible and safe after the fighting has stopped," he added.

The discussions will include countries who recently signed a statement saying they were ready "to contribute to appropriate efforts to ensure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz", Starmer said.

Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan and the Netherlands are among those to have signed it.

Iran has virtually closed the vital strait since the US-Israeli strikes that started the war on February 28, causing global oil and gas prices to soar.

A fifth of the world's oil and liquefied natural gas passes through the strait in peacetime.

"I do have to level with people on this. This (reopening) will not be easy," Starmer said.

The UK leader also backed NATO following renewed criticism of the eight-decade-old alliance by US President Donald Trump.

"NATO is the single most effective military alliance the world has ever seen, and it has kept us safe for many decades, and we are fully committed to NATO," Starmer said.

Trump told Britain's Telegraph newspaper in an article published Wednesday that NATO was a "paper tiger".

Asked whether he would reconsider US membership, he replied: "Oh yes, I would say (it's) beyond reconsideration," the paper reported.

Last month, Trump told the Financial Times that it would be "very bad for the future of NATO" if members fail to help reopen the vital waterway.

On Tuesday, he said that countries which have not joined the war but are struggling with fuel shortages should "go get your own oil" in the Strait of Hormuz, adding that the US would not help them.



Iran Chief Negotiator Ghalibaf Appointed to Oversee Ties with China

FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -
FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -
TT

Iran Chief Negotiator Ghalibaf Appointed to Oversee Ties with China

FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -
FILED - 12 October 2024, Lebanon, Beirut: FILE PHOTO - Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf speaks during a press conference in Beirut. Photo: Hassan Ibrahim/Lebanese Parliament/dpa -

Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, who recently emerged as a chief negotiator in talks with the United States, has been appointed to oversee relations with China, Iranian media reported on Sunday.

"Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has recently been appointed as a special representative of the Islamic republic of Iran for China affairs," Tasnim news agency reported, citing "informed sources,” with other media carrying similar reports.

It was not immediately clear who appointed Ghalibaf to the role, but Tasnim said he would "coordinate various sectors of relations between Iran and China.”

Pakistan's Interior Minister arrived in Tehran on Saturday "to facilitate" the peace talks between Iran and the US that have stalled despite a fragile ceasefire, Iranian media reported.

Islamabad has been actively mediating in the peace talks and last month hosted a high stakes meeting between delegations from both sides.

A ceasefire that began on April 8 has largely halted the fighting that erupted when US and Israeli forces attacked Iran on February 28.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran had received messages from Washington indicating that President Donald Trump's administration was willing to continue negotiations.


Ukraine Drones Kill 4 in Russia, Moscow Faces Biggest Attack in Over a Year

This handout video grab taken from a footage released on August 14, 2025, on the official Telegram account of the Belgorod region governor Vyacheslav Gladkov, shows a scene of a alleged Ukrainian strike in Belgorod. (Photo by Handout / TELEGRAM / @vvgladkov / AFP)
This handout video grab taken from a footage released on August 14, 2025, on the official Telegram account of the Belgorod region governor Vyacheslav Gladkov, shows a scene of a alleged Ukrainian strike in Belgorod. (Photo by Handout / TELEGRAM / @vvgladkov / AFP)
TT

Ukraine Drones Kill 4 in Russia, Moscow Faces Biggest Attack in Over a Year

This handout video grab taken from a footage released on August 14, 2025, on the official Telegram account of the Belgorod region governor Vyacheslav Gladkov, shows a scene of a alleged Ukrainian strike in Belgorod. (Photo by Handout / TELEGRAM / @vvgladkov / AFP)
This handout video grab taken from a footage released on August 14, 2025, on the official Telegram account of the Belgorod region governor Vyacheslav Gladkov, shows a scene of a alleged Ukrainian strike in Belgorod. (Photo by Handout / TELEGRAM / @vvgladkov / AFP)

At least four people were killed in a major Ukrainian drone attack on Russian regions, including Moscow, which faced its largest assault in more than a year.

Three people died in the Moscow region and one in the Belgorod region, authorities said on Sunday.

Moscow regional Governor Andrei Vorobyov said a woman was killed ⁠when a home ⁠was hit in Khimki, north of the capital, adding that rescuers were searching the debris for another person. Two men were killed in the village of Pogorelki ⁠in the Mytishchi district. Several residential high-rises and infrastructure facilities were damaged, he said.

Air defenses destroyed 81 drones headed for Moscow since midnight, TASS reported, citing Mayor Sergei Sobyanin, making it the largest attack on the capital in over a year.

Sobyanin said 12 people were injured, mostly near the entrance ⁠to ⁠Moscow's oil refinery, while three houses were damaged. The "technology" of the refinery was not damaged, he added.

Russia's defense ministry said 556 drones had been downed over the country overnight and into the morning.

The country's largest airport - Moscow's Sheremetyevo - said drone debris had fallen on its territory without causing any damage.


WHO: Ebola Outbreak in Congo and Uganda Declared Public Health Emergency

FILE - Health workers dressed in protective gear begin their shift at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo, July 16, 2019. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)
FILE - Health workers dressed in protective gear begin their shift at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo, July 16, 2019. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)
TT

WHO: Ebola Outbreak in Congo and Uganda Declared Public Health Emergency

FILE - Health workers dressed in protective gear begin their shift at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo, July 16, 2019. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)
FILE - Health workers dressed in protective gear begin their shift at an Ebola treatment center in Beni, Congo, July 16, 2019. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)

WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared the Ebola disease outbreak in Congo and Uganda a public health emergency of international concern on Sunday after more than 300 suspected cases and 88 deaths.

In a post on X, the World Health Organization said the outbreak does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency like the COVID-19 pandemic, and advised against the closure of international borders.

Ebola is highly contagious and can be contracted via bodily fluids such as vomit, blood or semen. The disease it causes is rare, but severe and often fatal.

Health authorities have confirmed the current outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, a rare variant of the Ebola disease that has no approved therapeutics or vaccines. Although more than 20 Ebola outbreaks have taken place in Congo and Uganda, this is only the third time the Bundibugyo virus has been reported, The Associated Press reported.

Congo accounts for all except two of the cases, both of which were reported in neighboring Uganda, the WHO said.

Officials first reported the spread of the disease in Congo's eastern province of Ituri, close to Uganda and South Sudan, on Friday. On Saturday, the Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported 336 suspected cases and 87 deaths.

“There are significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread associated with this event at the present time. In addition, there is limited understanding of the epidemiological links with known or suspected cases,” Tedros said.

Uganda on Saturday confirmed one case it said was imported from Congo, and said the patient died at a hospital in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, and the WHO said that a second case has been reported in Kampala. The two cases had no apparent links to each other and both patients had traveled from Congo, it added.

The Bundibugyo virus was first detected in Uganda’s Bundibugyo district during a 2007-2008 outbreak that infected 149 people and killed 37 people.

The second time was in 2012 in an outbreak in Isiro, Congo, where 57 cases and 29 deaths were reported.

WHO’s emergency declaration is meant to spur donor agencies and countries into action. However, the global response to previous declarations has been mixed.

In 2024 when the WHO declared mpox outbreaks in Congo and elsewhere in Africa a global emergency, experts at the time said it did little to get supplies like diagnostic tests, medicines and vaccines to affected countries quickly.