Washington Zigzags Between Rolling Out More Sanctions, Extending Waiver in Iran’s War

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Washington Zigzags Between Rolling Out More Sanctions, Extending Waiver in Iran’s War

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)
US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent at the end of a Senate Appropriations Financial Services and General Government Subcommittee hearing on President Trump's fiscal year 2027 budget request for the Department of the Treasury, on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, US, April 22, 2026. (Reuters)

Alan Rappeport and Ephrat Livni*

With oil prices in mind, the administration of US President Donald Trump has deployed a haphazard approach to sanctions on Russia and Iran.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent declared in mid-April that the United States would not extend a waiver allowing the sale of Russian oil. Two days later, on a Friday evening, the Treasury Department quietly issued another 30-day reprieve.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the waiver, saying that “every dollar paid for Russian oil is money for the war.” Senate Democrats called the 180-degree reversal a “shameful” decision.

Then, on Friday, Bessent told The Associated Press that the United States did not plan to renew the waiver for sales of Russian oil another time. The current waiver ends on May 16.

The about-face on Russian oil sanctions underscored the haphazard state of US statecraft as the Trump administration confronts the fallout from the war it and Israel started with Iran.

While the United States could once use its financial might to cripple the economies of adversaries, countries such as Russia and Iran have been using their leverage in energy markets to fight back. That has forced the Treasury Department, which oversees the US sanctions program, to improvise.

The Trump administration rolled out a blitz of sanctions on Friday, targeting 40 shipping firms and vessels that it identified as part of Iran’s so-called shadow fleet of oil tankers as it broadened its efforts to cripple the Iranian economy.

The administration also imposed sanctions on an independent Chinese refinery, Hengli Petrochemical Refinery, which is one of Iran’s largest customers for crude oil and other petroleum products.

At a Senate hearing last week, Bessent said that the decision to extend the Russia license came after developing countries lobbied him to keep more Russian oil on the market while they were in Washington for the spring meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.

“It was my belief we would not do it,” Bessent said, but added that poor countries have been struggling with the global shortfall of oil.

The White House and Treasury Department had no comment on whether the decision to continue easing the Russia sanctions came directly from Trump.

The sanctions relief has been filling Russia’s coffers with, by some estimates, as much as $200 million per day, undermining years of work by the US and Western allies that aimed to make it harder for Moscow to pay for its war in Ukraine.

“You don’t have to read ‘The Art of War’ to know that helping your adversaries gain money while you’re at war is a terrible idea,” Senator Chris Coons, Democrat of Delaware, said while questioning Bessent at the hearing on Wednesday. “No country has profited more from this war than Russia,” Coons added, noting that the country’s revenues also help support Iran militarily.

The strategy toward Iran has been equally muddled. The United States last month granted a 30-day exemption allowing the sale of Iranian oil, arguing that it would help curb global oil prices while preventing the Iranians from profiting by blocking the Strait of Hormuz.

But this month, the Trump administration changed course, letting the sanctions exemption expire and embarking on Operation Economic Fury, with new sanctions on Iran. The US military also extended its blockade on vessels coming in and out of Iranian ports to the waters of the wider world.

Bessent has likened the initiative to a financial bombing campaign.

Last week, he and Trump emphasized the economic pressures they are putting on Iran. They have argued that Iran will be unable to store any more oil in a matter of days and will be forced to shut its wells, leading to the wells’ possible eventual failure and driving economic collapse.

“It is a kind of whiplash in terms of policy,” said Jennifer Kavanagh, a senior fellow and director of military analysis at Defense Priorities, a foreign policy think tank in Washington. “This whole back and forth is evidence the Trump administration did not expect this to last this long.”

Previously, “the primary vector of pressure” was military action, and the expectation seemed to be that bombing would force Iran to capitulate, she said.

But as fighting has dragged on, raising the stakes of the war, the notion of military escalation became less palatable and Trump had already “escalated rhetorically to the maximum,” with his threat to wipe out Iranian civilization before a ceasefire, she said, leading to the focus on economics.

Iran complicated the US sanctions strategy by blocking the Strait of Hormuz, engaging in economic warfare by military means.

An analysis from Lloyd’s List, the shipping intelligence firm, noted that there are “signs of disruption to Iran’s shadow fleet operations” amid the global US blockade, with some tankers turning, diverting or pausing since its imposition. But vessel-tracking information also showed other Iran-linked tankers were actively sailing.

On Thursday, the Pentagon said US military forces stopped and boarded a second sanctioned tanker carrying oil from Iran in the Indian Ocean, following a similar interdiction on Tuesday.

“But blockades are not quick fixes,” Kavanagh said. She has argued that Iran can probably withstand the pressure because they work slowly.

The global blockade raises legal and operational questions because it has no geographical boundaries. And the United States can only seize so many ships, suggesting the practical impact could be “marginal,” she argued, while at the same time degrading the US reputation as an upholder of the international order, since many countries view such seizures as piracy.

Edward Fishman, a fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, said that the haphazard use of sanctions by the United States reflects how economic and military warfare are merging. “We don't have a playbook for this kind of economic warfare, which may help explain some of the fumbling by the United States,” Fishman said.

*The New York Times



Nigeria Says Joint US Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants, Senior Leaders

Nigerian soldiers walk past military tanks prepared for deployment during a tour of the Theater Command Operation Lafiya Dole by Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff at Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria, November 7, 2025. (Reuters)
Nigerian soldiers walk past military tanks prepared for deployment during a tour of the Theater Command Operation Lafiya Dole by Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff at Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria, November 7, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Nigeria Says Joint US Strikes Kill 175 ISIS Militants, Senior Leaders

Nigerian soldiers walk past military tanks prepared for deployment during a tour of the Theater Command Operation Lafiya Dole by Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff at Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria, November 7, 2025. (Reuters)
Nigerian soldiers walk past military tanks prepared for deployment during a tour of the Theater Command Operation Lafiya Dole by Nigeria's Chief of Army Staff at Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria, November 7, 2025. (Reuters)

Nigerian forces, working with the United States, have killed 175 ISIS militants in a series of joint air and ground strikes in the country's northeast in recent days, the Defense Headquarters said on Tuesday.

The military said operations conducted with US Africa Command destroyed checkpoints, weapons caches, logistics hubs, and financing networks ‌used by ISIS West Africa Province, which ‌has ⁠led a years-long ⁠insurgency in the region.

Since suffering major setbacks in the Middle East, ISIS has pivoted toward Africa, which accounted for 86% of the group's global activity in the first three ⁠months of 2026, according to crisis ‌monitoring group Armed ‌Conflict Location & Event Data.

"As of 19 May, ‌assessments indicate that 175 ISIS militants have ‌been eliminated from the battlefield," Nigeria's Defense spokesperson Major-General Samaila Uba said in a statement.

Strikes that killed Abu-Bilal al-Minuki on May ‌16, described by both governments as ISIS’s global No. 2, ⁠were followed ⁠by further raids last weekend that also killed Abd al-Wahhab, an ISWAP leader overseeing attacks and propaganda, Abu Musa al-Mangawi, and Abu al-Muthanna al-Muhajir, a senior media operative and close associate of al-Minuki, the statement said.

The Defense Headquarters said the operations formed part of an ongoing campaign to "hunt down and destroy" militants threatening Nigeria and the wider region.


US Imposes Fresh Sanctions on Iranian Exchange House, Shadow Fleet Vessels

US Secretary of Treasury Scott Bessent poses for a family photograph of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors as they meet to prepare the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
US Secretary of Treasury Scott Bessent poses for a family photograph of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors as they meet to prepare the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
TT

US Imposes Fresh Sanctions on Iranian Exchange House, Shadow Fleet Vessels

US Secretary of Treasury Scott Bessent poses for a family photograph of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors as they meet to prepare the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 19, 2026. (AFP)
US Secretary of Treasury Scott Bessent poses for a family photograph of G7 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors as they meet to prepare the summit of heads of State and government to be held in June 2026 in Evian, in Paris on May 19, 2026. (AFP)

The Trump administration on Tuesday imposed sanctions on an Iranian foreign currency exchange house and what it said were front companies overseeing transactions on behalf of Iranian banks as the US maintains pressure on Tehran.

The move came after Iran said its latest peace proposal to the United States over the US-Israeli led war that started February 28 involves ending hostilities on all fronts including Lebanon, the exit of US forces ‌from areas close ‌to Iran, and reparations for destruction caused by ‌the ⁠conflict.

The Treasury Department ⁠imposed sanctions on the Iran-based Amin Exchange, also known as Ebrahimi and Associates Partnership Company, which it said has a widespread network of front companies spanning multiple jurisdictions, including in Türkiye and Hong Kong.

The US also blocked 19 vessels it said were involved in shipping Iranian petroleum and petrochemicals to foreign customers.

The Treasury ⁠Department said Iranian exchange houses facilitate billions of dollars ‌in foreign currency transactions a year, ‌enabling the government to evade sanctions and access the international financial system. It ‌said the front companies oversee hundreds of millions of dollars ‌in transactions on behalf of Iranian banks.

"Iran’s shadow banking system facilitates the illicit transfer of funding for terrorist purposes," Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said in a release. "As Treasury systematically dismantles Tehran’s shadow banking system and shadow fleet under Economic ‌Fury, financial institutions must be alert to how the regime manipulates the international financial system to ⁠wreak havoc."

The sanctions block US assets of those designated and prevent Americans from doing business with them.

The US also designated vessels for transporting Iranian-origin oil, petroleum products and petrochemicals including the Barbados flagged liquefied petroleum gas tanker Great Sail, the Palau-flagged products tanker Ocean Wave, and the Panama-flagged chemical/oil tanker Swift Falcon.


Israel Finance Minister Says ICC Seeks Arrest Warrant Against Him

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich speaks at a press conference regarding settlements expansion for the long-frozen E1 settlement, that would split East Jerusalem from the occupied West Bank, near the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 14, 2025. (Reuters)
Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich speaks at a press conference regarding settlements expansion for the long-frozen E1 settlement, that would split East Jerusalem from the occupied West Bank, near the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 14, 2025. (Reuters)
TT

Israel Finance Minister Says ICC Seeks Arrest Warrant Against Him

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich speaks at a press conference regarding settlements expansion for the long-frozen E1 settlement, that would split East Jerusalem from the occupied West Bank, near the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 14, 2025. (Reuters)
Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich speaks at a press conference regarding settlements expansion for the long-frozen E1 settlement, that would split East Jerusalem from the occupied West Bank, near the Israeli settlement of Maale Adumim in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, August 14, 2025. (Reuters)

Israel's far-right finance minister Bezalel Smotrich said Tuesday that the International Criminal Court prosecutor has requested an arrest warrant against him, accusing the Palestinian Authority of pushing for the move.

Smotrich said he would retaliate by ordering the evacuation of the Palestinian Bedouin community of Khan al-Ahmar in the occupied West Bank.

"Last night I was informed that the criminal prosecutor of the antisemitic court in The Hague has filed a request for an international arrest warrant against me," Smotrich told a news conference broadcast on his X account Monday.

"As a sovereign and independent state, we do not accept hypocritical dictates from biased bodies that time and again take a stand against the State of Israel," he added, without disclosing the charges for which the warrant has been requested.

The ICC prosecutor's office said it was "unable to comment on media speculation or questions related to any alleged application for a warrant of arrest".

In November 2024, the ICC issued arrest warrants for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and former defense minister Yoav Gallant, to face accusations of war crimes and crimes against humanity over Israel's actions during its war against Hamas in Gaza.

- 'Declaration of war' -

"Immediately upon the conclusion of my remarks here, we will sign an order to evacuate Khan al-Ahmar," Smotrich said, calling the warrant request "a declaration of war".

More than 750 people live in the community of Khan al-Ahmar, around 10 kilometers east of Jerusalem's Old City in the central West Bank and surrounded by Israeli settlements.

The Palestinian Authority's Settlement and Wall Resistance Commission urged the international community to stop the move.

"Targeting Khan al-Ahmar is part of a long-term strategic settlement project... through which Israel seeks to create complete settlement contiguity that would separate the northern West Bank from its south," the commission's minister, Muayad Shaaban, was quoted as saying.

Peace Now, an Israeli settlement watchdog, also denounced the move.

"The Minister of Expulsion and Annexation seeks to take revenge on The Hague and the international community at the expense of one of the most vulnerable communities," it said.

Khan al-Ahmar sits near land Israel plans to use for its controversial E1 development project that would facilitate settlement expansion in the area near Jerusalem.

Smotrich, who lives in a settlement himself, is a staunch proponent of Israel annexing the West Bank.

"Under this government, we see that for the first time they've approved the very sensitive and significant plan of E1, and they're going ahead with plans to annex that entire region," Lior Amihai, Peace Now's executive director, told AFP.

"In order for them to annex the entire region, they need to also expel the Palestinian communities from there and Khan al-Ahmar is one of them," he added.