UK’s Ex-Health Minister Streeting Says Will Run to Replace PM Starmer

 Britain’s former Health Secretary Wes Streeting delivers a keynote address at the Progress annual conference 2026, in London, Britain, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
Britain’s former Health Secretary Wes Streeting delivers a keynote address at the Progress annual conference 2026, in London, Britain, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

UK’s Ex-Health Minister Streeting Says Will Run to Replace PM Starmer

 Britain’s former Health Secretary Wes Streeting delivers a keynote address at the Progress annual conference 2026, in London, Britain, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)
Britain’s former Health Secretary Wes Streeting delivers a keynote address at the Progress annual conference 2026, in London, Britain, May 16, 2026. (Reuters)

Wes Streeting, who resigned as UK health secretary this week, announced Saturday he will run to replace Keir Starmer as Labour leader and prime minister, after the party suffered disastrous local election results.

Streeting quit the government Thursday with a withering assessment of Starmer's leadership, but no other senior minister followed suit and the 43-year-old MP did not immediately trigger a leadership contest.

Later that day, Greater Manchester mayor and Andy Burnham unveiled a bid to become an MP which, if successful, would allow the 56-year-old from the left of the party to stand in that contest.

While still not announcing he has kickstarted the formal leadership challenge process, Streeting confirmed Saturday he will vie to replace Starmer and become the center-left Labour's new leader.

Whoever leads the ruling party, which has a big majority in Britain's parliament, will by default become prime minister.

"We need a proper contest with the best candidates on the field, and I'll be standing," Streeting said in a speech and question-and-answer session at a think tank event in London.

Explaining the lack of a formal contest launch, Streeting -- from Labour's right-wing and long thought to covet the premiership -- said he wanted "all of the candidates... on the pitch".

"If we had rushed ahead without giving Andy a chance to stand, the new leader, whether it was me or anyone else, would lack the legitimacy."

A Labour party leadership contest can be triggered if 81 of its MPs -- 20 percent of the party in parliament -- formally back a candidate to challenge Starmer and submit the necessary paperwork.

- Brexit 'mistake' -

Starmer, as current leader, would automatically be on the ballot if he wants to defend the challenge.

Labour members and affiliates then get to vote, not just MPs. They rank candidates in order of preference and a contender needs 50 percent to win.

Labour's National Executive Committee (NEC) -- which selects the party's candidates in parliamentary seat elections -- said Friday it had permitted Burnham "to stand in the candidate selection process" in the by-election in Makerfield, northwest England.

That contest is expected in mid-June at the earliest, meaning any formal leadership challenge is likely to be triggered afterwards.

The political jockeying follows dismal results for Labour in local and regional elections held last week, which have prompted several junior ministers and dozens of the party's MPs to demand Starmer to step down.

But the beleaguered 63-year UK leader appears to have been granted a stay of execution, of sorts, while Burnham's fate is decided in the Makerfield by-election.

Burnham told British media Saturday he was prepared to "fight to the highest level".

Meanwhile it appears Streeting, who delivered a wide-ranging speech at the think tank event, has kicked off a leadership campaign in all but name.

Setting out a fledgling policy platform, he said Brexit was "a catastrophic mistake" and that Britain must pursue a "new special relationship" with the European Union.

He signaled he wanted to see the country rejoin the trade bloc in the future.



EU Denounces New US Waiver of Russian Oil Sanctions

European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

EU Denounces New US Waiver of Russian Oil Sanctions

European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)
European Commissioner for Economy and Productivity, Valdis Dombrovskis, looks on ahead of a G7 finance ministers and central bank governors meeting in Paris, France, May 18, 2026. (Reuters)

The European Union criticized Tuesday the latest US waiver of sanctions on Russian oil, announced while G7 finance ministers were meeting to reach a common response to multiple economic challenges.

Washington's move aims to help lower energy prices that have skyrocketed since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in February, effectively shutting the Strait of Hormuz to Gulf oil tanker traffic.

But EU economics commissioner Valdis Dombrovskis denounced the extensions, which have given Moscow a financial boost as it pursues its war against Ukraine.

"From the EU point of view, we do not think that this is a time to ease pressure on Russia," Dombrovskis told journalists while arriving for a second day of G7 talks in Paris.

"In fact, Russia is the one which is gaining from the war in Iran and the increase in fossil fuel prices," he said. "If anything, we would need to strengthen the pressure."

US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent is in Paris for the Group of Seven talks hosted by France, which currently chairs the group's rotating presidency.

"Secretary Bessent was reassuring us that this is a temporary measure, but we know that it's already a second extension of the measure which initially was meant to last only 30 days," Dombrovskis said.

French Finance Minister Roland Lescure said a joint statement would nonetheless be made following talks that are to wind up Tuesday.

"We've had extremely frank discussions between people who do not necessarily agree on everything, but who are able to talk about everything," he told journalists.

The talks aim to keep dialogue open as trade feuds spurred by US President Donald Trump's tariff blitz compound geopolitical tensions.


Türkiye Arrests 110 on Suspicion of ISIS Ties

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
TT

Türkiye Arrests 110 on Suspicion of ISIS Ties

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)
The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul. (AFP file)

Turkish counter-terror police on Tuesday arrested 110 people on suspicion of activities in support of the ISIS group in an operation largely targeting Istanbul, the Anadolu state news agency said.

The suspects are accused of organizing classes in illegal associations, educating young children with ISIS ideology, collecting money for the group and seeking to recruit new ISIS members, in an operation coordinated by the Istanbul chief prosecutor's office.

The arrests came during simultaneous raids across three provinces, centered in Istanbul, with police seizing four rifles and 90 cartridges along with documents and digital materials.

Last week, police arrested another 324 people in raids targeting ISIS suspects across 47 provinces, the interior ministry said.

On April 7, a gunman was killed and two others were wounded in a shootout outside the Israeli consulate in Istanbul.

Interior Minister Mustafa Ciftci said one of them was linked to an "organization that exploits religion", which Turkish media reported was ISIS.

At the end of December, ISIS militants opened fire on police in the northwestern town of Yalova, killing three officers and wounding nine others.

Six ISIS militants were also killed in the hours-long gun battle that followed, with Türkiye rounding up more than 600 suspected members of the group in the following weeks.


WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
TT

WHO Chief Says ‘Deeply Concerned’ by ‘Scale and Speed’ of DR Congo Ebola Outbreak

A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
A motorcycle taxi driver waits for clients in front of the entrance of CBCA Virunga General Hospital, in Goma on May 17, 2026. (AFP)

The World Health Organization chief voiced concern on Tuesday about the "scale and speed" of an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo which has killed an estimated 131 people. 

The WHO has declared the surge of the highly contagious hemorrhagic fever an international health emergency and will hold an emergency meeting on the crisis on Tuesday. 

No vaccine or therapeutic treatment exists for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola responsible for the latest outbreak of the disease, which has killed more than 15,000 people in Africa in the past half century. 

With the new outbreak largely concentrated in difficult-to-access areas, few samples have been laboratory-tested and figures are based mostly on suspected cases. 

"We have recorded roughly 131 deaths in total and we have around 513 suspected cases," Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba said on national television early Tuesday. 

"The deaths we are reporting are all the deaths we have identified in the community, without necessarily saying that they are all linked to Ebola," he added. 

The previous figures from the outbreak, declared late last week in the country's east, gave a total of 91 dead out of 350 suspected cases. 

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the decision to declare the second-highest level of alert under international health regulations was not taken "lightly". 

"I'm deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic," he told the World Health Assembly in Geneva on Tuesday. 

The outbreak's epicenter is in northeastern Ituri province on the border with Uganda and South Sudan. 

As a gold-mining hub, it sees people regularly crisscrossing the region and has been plagued by clashes between local militias for years. 

The virus has already spread into neighboring provinces, as well as beyond the DRC's borders. 

- 'Mystical illness' - 

Suspected cases have been reported in the commercial hub of Butembo in neighboring North Kivu province, some 200 kilometers (125 miles) away from the epidemic's ground zero, Kamba said, without giving further details. 

Another case has been recorded in Goma, North Kivu's key provincial capital currently under the control of the Rwanda-backed M23 anti-governmental armed group. 

"Unfortunately, the alert was slow to circulate within the community, because people thought it was a mystical illness, and so, as a result, the sick were not taken to the hospital," Kamba said. 

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has declared the outbreak a continental public health emergency. 

The step enables the Africa CDC, based in Ethiopia, to mobilize extra resources including emergency response teams and surveillance operations. 

Tedros said that 30 cases had been confirmed to be Ebola in Ituri province. 

"Uganda has also informed WHO of two confirmed cases in the capital of Kampala, including one death among two individuals who travelled from DRC," he told the annual meeting of the health agency's decision-taking body. 

A US citizen has tested positive for the virus following exposure related "to their work" in the DRC, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. 

The patient is due to arrive in Germany for treatment, the German health ministry said on Tuesday. 

The United States has announced it was bolstering precautions to prevent the spread of Ebola, including screening air passengers from outbreak-hit areas and temporarily suspending visa services. 

It is attempting to evacuate six additional people to monitor their health, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on Monday. 

First identified in 1976 and believed to have originated in bats, Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure. 

The outbreak is the 17th in the central African country of more than 100 million people. 

The deadliest Ebola outbreak in the DRC claimed nearly 2,300 lives out of 3,500 cases between 2018 and 2020. 

The previous outbreak before the current one killed 45 people between September and December last year, the WHO said.