Report: US Weighs Drone Threat from Cuba

 A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Report: US Weighs Drone Threat from Cuba

 A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)
A vintage car passes by images of late Cuban President Fidel Castro, Cuba's former President Raul Castro and Cuba's President Miguel Diaz-Canel displayed on a billboard in Havana, Cuba, May 15, 2026. (Reuters)

Cuba has obtained more than 300 military drones and recently began discussing plans to use them to attack the US base at Guantanamo Bay, US military vessels and possibly even Florida, Axios reported Sunday, citing classified intelligence.

The report comes as tensions simmer between Washington and Havana, amid growing speculation that the United States is weighing military action against the communist-run island.

The Trump administration is concerned because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisors in Havana, Axios cited a senior US official as saying.

"When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it's concerning," the unnamed official was quoted as saying. "It's a growing threat."

Cuba has been acquiring attack drones from Russia and Iran since 2023 and is seeking to buy more, US officials told Axios.

Havana slammed the report, with Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez accusing the United States of baselessly plotting for its next war.

"With no legitimate excuse whatsoever, the US government is, day after day, building a fraudulent case to justify a ruthless economic war against the Cuban people and an eventual military aggression," Rodriguez wrote on X.

"Cuba does not threaten or desire war. It defends peace and is readying and preparing itself to confront external aggression in the exercise of the right to legitimate self-defense recognized by the UN Charter," he added.

The report comes days after CIA Director John Ratcliffe visited Havana, where Cubans have been enduring constant power outages prompted by President Donald Trump's fuel blockade.

According to Axios, Ratcliffe warned officials in Havana against engaging in hostilities.

"Director Ratcliffe made clear that Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere," Axios quoted an unnamed CIA official as saying.

The communist island has been in a standoff with successive US administrations since the 1960s, and the southern state of Florida hosts a large, politically influential Cuban exile community.

Earlier this month Trump said the United States would be "taking over" the Caribbean island, only around 90 miles (145 km) from Florida, "almost immediately."

He has also said, following the US military operation to depose Venezuela's longtime leader Nicolas Maduro, that Cuba will be next.

US media also reported that US authorities are seeking to indict Raul Castro, the 94-year-old brother of late Cuban leader Fidel Castro.



PM Starmer Will Not Set Out a Timetable to Quit, Says His Deputy

 15 May 2026, United Kingdom, London: (L-R) Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Metropolitan Police Commander Clair Haynes, during a visit to a police station in Lambeth, south London. (Peter Nicholls/PA Wire/dpa)
15 May 2026, United Kingdom, London: (L-R) Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Metropolitan Police Commander Clair Haynes, during a visit to a police station in Lambeth, south London. (Peter Nicholls/PA Wire/dpa)
TT

PM Starmer Will Not Set Out a Timetable to Quit, Says His Deputy

 15 May 2026, United Kingdom, London: (L-R) Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Metropolitan Police Commander Clair Haynes, during a visit to a police station in Lambeth, south London. (Peter Nicholls/PA Wire/dpa)
15 May 2026, United Kingdom, London: (L-R) Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Metropolitan Police Commander Clair Haynes, during a visit to a police station in Lambeth, south London. (Peter Nicholls/PA Wire/dpa)

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who is under intense pressure to quit from within his Labour Party after a set of poor local election results, will not set out a timetable for his departure, his deputy David Lammy said on Monday.

The heavy losses ‌for Labour ‌in the May 7 ‌elections triggered ⁠almost a quarter ⁠of his lawmakers to call for him to go, and two rivals are openly vying to replace him, unsettling investors who have pushed up the government's ⁠borrowing costs.

"There will be ‌no timetable ‌for departure," Lammy told Sky News, adding ‌that he had spoken to ‌the prime minister twice on Sunday.

Lawmaker Wes Streeting, who quit as health minister last week, said on Saturday he ‌would stand in any formal leadership contest. Greater Manchester Mayor ⁠Andy ⁠Burnham is seeking a seat in parliament that would allow him to make a challenge too.

Starmer has repeatedly said that he intends to fight any leadership challenge. A contest would begin if one lawmaker submits 81 nominations to the party - equivalent to 20% of the elected Labour Party members of parliament.


More Than 30 Wounded in Russian Attacks on Ukraine Overnight

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Services on Monday, May 18, 2026, rescue workers put out a fire of a residential building destroyed after a Russian strike on Dnipro, Ukraine. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Services on Monday, May 18, 2026, rescue workers put out a fire of a residential building destroyed after a Russian strike on Dnipro, Ukraine. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)
TT

More Than 30 Wounded in Russian Attacks on Ukraine Overnight

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Services on Monday, May 18, 2026, rescue workers put out a fire of a residential building destroyed after a Russian strike on Dnipro, Ukraine. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)
In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Services on Monday, May 18, 2026, rescue workers put out a fire of a residential building destroyed after a Russian strike on Dnipro, Ukraine. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia launched hundreds of drones and nearly two dozen missiles at Ukraine overnight wounding more than 30 people, Ukrainian officials said on Monday, as Kyiv and Moscow step up deadly long-range attacks.

Moscow has been pummeling Ukrainian cities since it invaded more than four years ago but the latest Russian attack comes after both sides traded some of their bloodiest strikes in months.

Russia targeted the industrial city of Dnipro south of the capital, and the mayor published images on social media showing windows blown out of residential buildings.

"Twenty-six people were wounded. The enemy attacked six districts of the region with missiles, drones, artillery and aerial bombs," Oleksandr Ganzha, the head of the region, said.

Ukraine's air force said it downed most of the 546 drones launched by Russian forces, but just four out of 22 missiles.

Ukraine has developed a sophisticated system for downing Russian drones but has been struggling to intercept Russian missiles.

Russian strikes also wounded five people in the southern cities of Odesa, Kherson, and Zaporizhzhia.


A Strong Quake in South China Kills 2 and Triggers Evacuation of 7,000

People walk in a square in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China, April 15, 2026. (Reuters)
People walk in a square in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China, April 15, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

A Strong Quake in South China Kills 2 and Triggers Evacuation of 7,000

People walk in a square in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China, April 15, 2026. (Reuters)
People walk in a square in Guangzhou, Guangdong province, China, April 15, 2026. (Reuters)

A 5.2 magnitude earthquake struck south China’s Guangxi region early Monday, killing two people, toppling buildings and triggering the evacuations of thousands, state media reported.

Four others were injured, while more than 7,000 residents were evacuated from Liuzhou city.

The search for several missing residents wrapped up around midday Monday, after the last trapped person, a 91-year-old man, was found alive in good condition, authorities said.

Images aired by state broadcaster CCTV showed excavators clearing debris. At least 13 buildings collapsed, while landslides triggered by the quake blocked roads to the area, according to CCTV.

Train services around Liuzhou were canceled or delayed.

Earthquakes occasionally strike south China, with more intense ones usually occurring toward the mountainous west or the east, toward Taiwan.

The most devastating recent earthquake with a magnitude of 7.9 occurred in the southwestern Sichuan province in 2008, leaving more than 87,000 dead or missing.