Trump Says No Rush for Iran Deal, US Blockade Stays

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
TT

Trump Says No Rush for Iran Deal, US Blockade Stays

Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. (AFP)
Vessels are seen anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, off the port city of Khasab on Oman's northern Musandam Peninsula on May 17, 2026. (AFP)

US President Donald Trump said on Sunday he had told his representatives not to rush into any deal with Iran, appearing to dampen hopes of an imminent breakthrough in the three-month-old war that had been raised by both sides a day earlier.

The US blockade on Iranian ships on the Strait of Hormuz would "remain in full force and effect until an agreement is reached, certified, and signed", Trump wrote on Truth Social.

Negotiations were progressing and the US relationship with Iran had become more professional and productive, he said. But he added: "Both sides must take their time and get it right. There can be no mistakes!"

A day earlier, Trump said Washington and Iran had "largely negotiated" a memorandum of understanding on a peace deal that would reopen the Strait of Hormuz, which before the conflict carried one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas shipments.

Trump has repeatedly played up the prospect of an agreement to end the war that the US and Israel started on February 28, so far without success.

It was not clear whether the agreement he was ‌referring to on Sunday ‌was the initial memorandum of understanding that has been under discussion, or a much more challenging broad ‌peace settlement, ⁠likely to take ⁠much longer.

The two sides remain at odds over numerous difficult issues, such as Iran's nuclear ambitions and Tehran's demands for the lifting of sanctions and the release of tens of billions of dollars of Iranian oil revenues frozen in foreign banks.

Various media in the US and Iran had said the memorandum setting out a framework for ending months of fighting would, if concluded, lift a US blockade on Iranian shipping and reopen the waterway, which Iran has shut with threats to attack shipping.

HOPE FOR RELIEF IN GLOBAL ENERGY CRISIS

A senior Iranian source earlier told Reuters that if Iran's Supreme National Security Council approved the memorandum, it would be sent to Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei for final approval.

But Iran's Tasnim news agency said differences remained over one or two clauses. Tasnim cited ⁠a source as saying there would be no final understanding if the US continued to create obstacles.

In another ‌potential stumbling block, a military adviser to Khamenei said Tehran had the legal right to manage ‌the Strait of Hormuz, though it was not clear if that meant continuing to decide which ships can go through.

Any deal cementing the current fragile ceasefire ‌would bring relief to markets but not immediately quell a global energy crisis, which has driven up costs of fuel, fertilizer and food.

Even if ‌the war ends now, full flows through the strait will not return before the first or second quarter of 2027, the head of the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company said last week.

Iran's Revolutionary Guards said 33 vessels had passed through the strait over the past 24 hours after getting permission from Tehran, still far short of the 140 on a typical day before the war.

Trump, while offering various war aims during the conflict, has repeatedly said the US struck Iran to prevent ‌it from obtaining nuclear weapons.

Iran "must understand, however, that they cannot develop or procure a Nuclear Weapon or Bomb", he reiterated in his post on Sunday.

Iran has long denied it is pursuing such weapons and ⁠says it has a right to enrich ⁠uranium for civilian purposes, although the purity it has achieved far exceeds that needed for power generation.

'ISSUES STILL NEED TO BE DISCUSSED,' IRAN SAYS

Sources have told Reuters the proposed framework, when it emerges, will unfold in three stages: formally ending the war, resolving the crisis in the Strait of Hormuz and launching a 30-day window for negotiations on a broader agreement, which can be extended.

Trump, whose approval ratings have been hit by the war's impact on US energy prices, said on Friday he would not attend his son's wedding this weekend, citing Iran among the reasons for staying in Washington.

He spoke on Saturday with leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Egypt, Türkiye and Pakistan, who encouraged Trump to agree to the emerging framework, Axios reported.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei said on Saturday that "the trend this week has been towards a reduction in disputes, but there are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators".

Baghaei said the issue of the US blockade on Iran's shipping was important, but that its priority was ending the threat of new US attacks and the parallel conflict in Lebanon.

The US-Israeli bombing of Iran killed thousands of people in Iran before it was suspended in a ceasefire in early April.

Israel has also killed thousands more and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes in Lebanon, which it invaded in pursuit of the Iran-backed Hezbollah.

Iranian strikes on Israel and neighboring Gulf states have killed dozens of people.



Moderate Quake Shakes Japan, Scores Injured

First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)
First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)
TT

Moderate Quake Shakes Japan, Scores Injured

First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)
First responders from the Tokyo Fire Department stand on a street partially flooded in the early hours of Sunday, Aug. 23, 2026, following the rupture of a water pipe after an earthquake that struck the area and neighboring prefectures. (Kazuki Kozaki/Kyodo News via AP)

A moderate earthquake rattled eastern Japan, including the Tokyo area, early Sunday, injuring more than 30 people, most of them lightly, officials said.

There was no danger of a tsunami.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 5.9 and its epicenter was in the southern Ibaraki prefecture with a depth of 70 kilometers (42 miles). The US Geological Survey recorded a magnitude of 5.8.

At least 37 people were injured in five prefectures in the region — 15 in Tokyo, nine in Saitama, eight in Kanagawa, four in Chiba and one in Ibaraki — according to prefectural officials and the Fire and Disaster Management Agency.

Most of the injured were hurt when they fell down or hit themselves against furniture or doors as they were caught off guard by the quake while sleeping and got out of bed in a panic, officials said. Among them was a woman in her 80s who fell off the bed and suffered a serious hip injury in Yokohama, in the Kanagawa prefecture, the Yomiuri newspaper reported.

A 23-year-old man told the Asahi newspaper that he felt a vertical jolt seconds after his earthquake alert went off when he was shopping in Tokyo's eastern district of Taito. He said he feared getting hit by merchandise that fell from shelves as the building shook, The Associated Press reported.

The quake caused delays to express trains serving Tokyo and Narita Airport and other local trains serving northeastern regions, but Shinkansen bullet trains were running normally, their operator East Japan Raiway Co. said.

The government set up a task force to assess the extent of possible damage, Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi said on X.

The Japan Meteorological Agency urged the residents in the area to use caution against another possible moderate earthquake for about a week.

The temblor set off emergency quake alerts on mobile phones and also significantly shook Tokyo. NHK public television showed traffic on roads in nearby cities, including Mito and Saitama, seemingly normal.

An underground water pipe ruptured in Tokyo’s eastern ward of Koto, with water pouring onto the road, NHK footage showed. The pipe has been repaired and the leak stopped.

There were no reports of anomalies from about a dozen nuclear power plants and other facilities that handle nuclear materials, the Nuclear Regulation Authority said.

Last month, a magnitude 7.1 quake struck the Kumamoto area on Japan's southernmost island of Kyushu, killing 38 people and injuring 364.


Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
TT

Two Rescued after Bulk Carrier Sinks Off India

Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)
Beachgoers view and take photos of the Panamanian-registered bulk carrier ship Blueways, which ran aground following a typhoon in September 2022 off the coast of Weihai, in eastern China's Shandong province on August 21, 2026. (Photo by CN-STR / AFP)

Rescuers searched on Sunday for 22 people missing after a merchant vessel sank off India's eastern coast, the navy said.

The Panama-flagged bulk carrier MV Ocean Winner was headed to Singapore from Paradip port in India's Odisha state, according to MarineTraffic.

The vessel sent a distress alert about 700 kilometers (435 miles) east of Visakhapatnam, the navy said, prompting a joint rescue operation with the Indian coast guard.

Two of the 24 crew members were rescued, it said, adding that a navy patrol aircraft had been redeployed to surveil the area.

The coast guard also deployed three vessels, Indian broadcaster NDTV reported, according to AFP.

"The aircraft located life rafts in the area", and coordinated with a nearby vessel, MT Aisopos, to collect two of the crew from liferafts, the navy said.

Twenty crew members were Chinese, three were from Myanmar and one was Bangladeshi, the Press Trust of India news agency reported, citing coast guard sources.

The nationalities of the two rescued crew members were not immediately clear.


Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
TT

Egypt Tries to Revive US-Iran Negotiations

 Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)
Vessels near the Strait of Hormuz, as seen from Musandam, Oman, August 17, 2026. (Reuters)

The top diplomats for Egypt and Iran discussed efforts to bring Tehran and Washington back to the negotiating table to settle the war, Egypt's foreign ministry said on Saturday.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and Egyptian counterpart Badr Abdelatty also discussed the Iranian-Omani talks on the management of the Strait of Hormuz, the ministry said.

Araghchi briefed Egypt's foreign minister about “Iran’s view of ongoing developments, the course of negotiations and their challenges,” the ministry said, without elaborating.

There was no immediate statement from Araghchi.